Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericwarren

Kitchen Aid Steam Assist Wall Oven

ericwarren
14 years ago

Hi,

Looking at replacing our wall unit with the KEHU309SSS. Does anyone on the forum have this or any experience with it?

Is this steam assist technology a gimmick or worthwhile?

This oven seems to have an odd triple glass door. Is this ok?

Not much experience with KA ovens, so hoping for any advice you may have.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• antss
    14 years ago

"Is this steam assist technology a gimmick"

Yep

"This oven seems to have an odd triple glass door"

Why is this odd? Might be uncommon, but odd? Glass with airspace between it is a more effective insulator than just glass. SO three panes = get the picture?

"Not much experience with KA ovens"

Better read up around here, they have had problems since they've been acquired by whirlpool - their ovens in particular. For a loooooong time (years)they flat DENIED there was any problem at all, then poof, a tech bulletin distributed about the problem that didn't exist and and an upgraded part appears on new models with no fanfare.

Do you really want to lay down your cash to a company that behaves this way?

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Steam-assist isn't a gimmick, at least in the commercial kitchen world. CVap is a well-accepted method of cooking. The moist air transfers heat more effectively than dry air, as well as keeping the moisture levels in the food somewhat higher.

How does the KitchenAid perform compared to a commercial piece? Your guess is probably just about as good as mine. My gut feeling is that, if it catches on, it will eventually end up like convection ovens -- they do something in the home, but not really what they do in a commercial kitchen.

• cjammer
    14 years ago

I briefly researched this oven, but it has waaaay too many bad reviews for my comfort level, just google Kitchen Aid Steam Assist Oven Review and you will find people's issues. My mom also has a KA oven that I do not like to bake with, so I am going to skip KA for my oven selection.

• antss
    14 years ago

Jeff-

Eric wasn't asking about steam assisted cooking as it applies to the commercial world, only to the KA 309sss.

"Your guess is probably just about as good as mine"

I think mine's a bit better, not really a guess in fact, as I've used the KA and spent some time in commercial kitchens.

If one want that type of affair the Gaggenau steam oven is the closest you'll get in a UL approved residential model and it's really small.

If you want to dabble in this method a good alternative might be Sharp's new steam convection microwave. NO special plumbing or drain hookups, will sit on a countertop or shelf, and at @ $1000 is a quarter the cost of these other puppies.

None of this says anything about the KA ovens in general which don't exactly light it up in the quality or performance dept, and with backing by Whirlpool .......well I think you get the picture.

• ericwarren
    Original Author
    14 years ago

let me throw a bit of a wrench on this....
    if i can buy the KA steam combo micro/oven for slightly less than the discounted price of the non steam version, does that make it more attractive?

the only other combo product i see that seems to fit in with the kitchen's look is the thermador prof series, but it is 4499.

thanks!

• antss
    14 years ago

yes, but only so far as it relates to KA ovens, which would not be on my list to look at.

If you're really into steam cooking why not look at the Sharp I mentioned and get a really nice convection oven that has a solid track record?