Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eugenie11

Help! Need a range hood for a low ceiling (pic)

eugenie11
12 years ago

Just posted this and the picture didn't show up, so I'm going to try again.

Here's my problem: I am replacing the range hood over my island but the distance from the ceiling to the cooktop is only 45" because of a soffit that hangs down over the island (possibly to incorporate the vent? I don't know because I can't see inside), and most of the range hoods I have looked at require more height.

Does anyone know of an island mounted range hood that will fit my specs? I would prefer one of the more low profile models, not the big hood I have now (see pic), but I realize my choices may be limited, so I'll take anything I can get!

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (27)

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Elica and Futuro Futuro have some very sleak designs.

If you like the Futuro Futuro Skylight, Best offers something similar for alot cheaper.

Look through the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• eugenie11
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you!

To ratflinger - good question! Why AM I replacing it? It works fine but everyone hates that you have to bob and weave whenever you're talking to someone across the island, I mean, it is BIG... and I thought as long as I"m updating everything else in the kitchen, I should put in a nice sleek range hood. And then I stared looking at the prices!

To deeageaux - I have looked at these designs, but when I check the specs, almost all require a minimum of 32" between the bottom edge of the hood and the top of the counter, which leaves me about six inches of chimney.

I guess I thought someone would have had the same problem and found a manufacturer who makes these short chimneys, and ... voila!

DH says I should go down to the appliance store where we just put in our order, and spent WAY too much money, and get them to help!!!

• sskit
    12 years ago

Take a look at the Zephyr Anzio. We just put this in because we liked the fact that it had only a 5 1/2 inch pyramid. It has a full 24 inch capture and is 600 cfm. Reasonably priced. We are very happy with it so far. We have the wall mount unit but they have an island one.

• eugenie11
    Original Author
    12 years ago

to sskit - zephyr's website has a spec 'calculator' that allowed me to type in my ceiling height with EVERY model they make and guess what? None will work.

But thank you. Those Zephyr hoods were my first choice - I liked Europa, and then Roma, and then I tried all the rest... Nope. None fit (sob).

• trixieinthegarden
    12 years ago

Could you use an undercabinet style? You might need to add a mounting strip at the back of the soffit for the "wall" connections but it would certainly give you more options.

• Diplodicus
    12 years ago

Have you considered a recessed onto the ceiling model like the gaggenau AC 402?

Dippy

• wpdoit
    12 years ago

We have a low ceiling. Too low for the Monogram hood we wanted, per the installation manual. So I found the similar looking Cavaliere-Euro which is claimed to work with our approximately 7' 7" ceiling height.

Then my appliance dealer, who wanted to sell me the Monogram, said we could just have it mounted through the ceiling. So that's what the installer did, built a roughly six inch box frame between the ceiling joists, and ran the frame and shroud through the dry wall. I then put some wood trim pieces around the ceiling junction. I don't think I paid any extra for the installation.

• wpdoit
    12 years ago

To add: I just measured our ceiling to cooktop height at 55 inches, which is 10 inches more than your 45. But our installer did tell me he could raise the hood through the ceiling as far as I wanted (within reason I suppose)

• jscout
    12 years ago

Is there any reason you can't just trim the SS chimney of your existing or any other hood? If necessary, you can take it to a sheet metal shop and they should be able to re-fabricate it for you. It really shouldn't cost much either. Most of the time, there's nothing on those chimneys other than duct work, unless it's also hiding an inline blower. I took a look at that Zephyr site and they mention the term "out of the box." Usually, when they say that it implies that it won't fit if you don't want to customize it. The important take away is that you can probably customize it to fit.

• eugenie11
    Original Author
    12 years ago

to trixieinthegarden - if I use an undercounter hood, don't I have to revent the whole thing? Or do all the under mounted models use recirculating vents? Right now, I have a nice arrangement that vents to the outside (I'm in a freestanding house, not an apartment) and I was hoping to keep this configuration (trying to save what remains of my budget!)

to wpdoit - after hours spent looking at every exotic brand of range hood, somehow I overlooked the good ol' GE Profile which SEEMS to work... Is my problem solved? My appliance guy is off on Wednesdays, but I am planning to call him tomorrow (and ask how we overlooked the obvious???) I'm a little nervous putting the order in because apparently range hoods are not returnable if they don't fit. Eek!

to jscout - I asked the same question - just saw off the chimney and make it fit, right? Not so fast. I was told there are all sorts of guts in there that can't just be lopped off. Who knew?

Anyway, I'm still searching - if the GE Profile fits, I'm done. If not, I may keep what I have. I never imagined I'd be spending so much time on what has to be The Most Boring appliance in the kitchen.

Thanks all! Will keep you posted

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I think that the only thing in the chimney is the flu pipe. And wiring.

How about this Kobe? It is 7" tall, the shortest vent cover is 22.75", so about 30" overall.

BTW: what is the distance now from the top of the cooktop to the bottom of the current vent? And how much from the bottom of the vent to the ceiling?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kobe IS-123

• wpdoit
    12 years ago

As to modifying hoods to fit, I know the Monogram hood has the blower and a bunch of other stuff inside a two section frame work that is adjustable to an extent, by sliding the two pieces to size and using different screw holes to lock the two pieces together. The problem with our ceiling was that the adjustment range was not large enough. The duct covers just covered the main frame work structure using two sections that also slide one inside the other. We ended up using just one of the duct sections, which just fit through the ceiling by a couple of inches.

When we first opened the box containing the hood, and I was able to see everything, I felt that I could have drilled some extra holes and adjusted the frame short enough to fit to our ceiling. I do admit that when I voiced this thought, the installer looked at me like I was a little crazy.

The Profile hood I see, seems to be dimensionally and structurally very close to our Monogram. Page 13 of the installation manual has a chart showing the minimum ceiling height at 7' 11", and that I think results in the hood being 24 inches above a 36 in. counter. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one. Model PV976NSS? eugenie, I don't think you mentioned your floor to ceiling height.

• eugenie11
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wpdoit and weedmeister - the GE Profile model I looked at was PV977NSS, on AJ Madison. If you click on 'Specifications' it says overall height 19 and 1/8" and height to ceiling 13 and 1/4". Both of those would work for me...

Here are my dimensions: total ceiling height 89.5", aka 7' 5.5". Low. And 7.5" are in a soffit or tray that is lowered over the cooktop, possibly because of a bathtub overhead? At least that's what one contractor told me, who was looking over the job and immediately wanted to know why the ceiling was lowered over the island and what was above it ...

Distance from counter to tray ceiling: 45.5"

Distance from bottom edge of current range hood to top of counter: 22" (measuring down)

Distance from bottom edge of current range hood to tray ceiling: 23" (measuring up)

Assume that the 7.5" of tray ceiling can incorporate range hood chimney. The GE Profile model has overall height of 19 and 1/8. My current range hood has overall height of 23". Seems like it will work, right?

I have also looked at Kobe IS2236SQF, Cavaliere Euro SV218Z2-I36, and many many models of Zephyr, Broan, KitchenAid and Fridgidaire.

Also have to find out if my vent is 6" or 8" before I order. This is really one of those high-input, low-reward purchases, huh? And not even cheap!!

Thanks, guys. Keep those ideas coming!

• Diplodicus
    12 years ago

Elica Cloud Nine? Flush with ceiling. I suppose I am recommending this because imho you might try to hide the ventilation and leave the space open. It would make the space seem bigger and less cramped. Not that it looks small and cramped ...it doesn't...but it might if you put a big stainless steel piece of art ventilation system in there!

Dippy

• eugenie11
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Diplodicus - thank you! I just checked out Elica Cloud Nine online - crazy to find an artsy/enviro/philosophical company devoted to range hood designs... but I like it!

But it's past my bedtime, my brain has turned to mush from looking for induction cookware on eBay, and converting my measurements into cms to see if the range hoods will fit is just too much right now...

I will go back to the website in the morning for another look. I must be tired, I didn't even look at prices.

• wpdoit
    12 years ago

Regarding the PV977NSS Profile hood, I don't know where AJ Madison gets the 19 1/2 dimension, or what it means, but on the GE website they have this;

Note the ceiling heights specified.

and from page 12 of the installation manual, they have this chart showing the minimum ceiling height to be 7' 11" whith the hood just 24 inches above a 36 inch counter top.

You can see at the top of the page that the duct covers alone are 25.98" for just the lower one (one slides inside the other to adjust overall length), and 29.92" for the upper. If it's like mine, which I am pretty sure it is, the minimum length of the vertical portion of the hood is 31 inches before you attatch the actual horizontal section to the bottom. That's why the duct covers are the length they are.

And that is why we stuck our very similiar Monogram hood almost 7" through the ceiling to give us an effective length of about 24" long (whith the hood ending up about 31 inches above the cook top.

Sorry if this is not good news, but I'm just trying to help.

• Diplodicus
    12 years ago

Hi again. I just saw a neff ceiling mounted hood that you might like. The product code is 199C68N0GB. Looks great. Reasonable enough price for what it is. Integrated lights etc grease filyers remote control low noise.

Dippy

• trixieinthegarden
    12 years ago

to trixieinthegarden - if I use an undercounter hood, don't I have to revent the whole thing? Or do all the under mounted models use recirculating vents? Right now, I have a nice arrangement that vents to the outside (I'm in a freestanding house, not an apartment) and I was hoping to keep this configuration (trying to save what remains of my budget!)

Most are configured to vent through the top or through the back, sometimes offering both options. If you use a top-vented one you should be able to re-use your existing venting, depending on your vent size. Most take a 6 or 8 inch duct.

The only thing that would be an issue for you is that undercabinet vent hoods usually have keyhole hangers for the back wall, so you would have to mount a strip just under your soffit at the back to mount the screws for the keyholes to hang. The vents are also attached through the bottom of the cabinet above so that takes much of the hanging weight.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

I almost hate to suggest this - but have you considered opening the tray ceiling to see what's actually there? It's really not too difficult to repair either - we've had to do it twice to move chandeliers.

• Curt Bramley
    4 years ago

I found a company that is willing to cut an island vent according to your needs - https://www.prolinerangehoods.com

They have been easy to deal with and have offered an answer when no-one else could.

• kakunia
    4 years ago

This is an old thread, i realize that, but why not go to a counter mounted retractable hood fan instead?

• HU-886115418
    12 months ago

I am doing my kitchen over and have the same problem the sofiet to the counter is 45 inch so I cant use normal extractor. I am so glad I found your post. I will take a look and hopefully here there will be a solution here.

• kaseki
    12 months ago

Canopy hoods are necessary to fully capture the rising and expanding cooking effluent. Base height for islands should allow head clearance and sight-line clearance. Base area has to overlap the rising and expanding plumes, and to a degree deal with cross drafts and air disturbances from moving people. As a result, some intersection with a low soffit may be needed. Giving up on having a chimney may be needed.

Pop-up downdraft systems can only deal with low velocity cooking aerosols, and not high velocity moisture/grease from such as wok cooking or searing. They will be inadequate for intermediate velocities such as from griddle frying unless the surface is right under the entry aperture (typically a slot).

• Cq Bk
    12 months ago

This post is super helpful - even if its 11 years old! I need to find an effective and simple looking island hood for over an induction cook top. We are tall people and want the hood to be as out of our way as possible!

• kaseki
    12 months ago

I consider Wolf Pro Island hood sizes to have adequate overlap where cross drafts are minimal. (See the Wolf Design Guide: https://www.subzero-wolf.com/-/media/files/united-states/product-downloads/sub-zero-wolf/design-guides/wolf-design-guide.pdf.) I use one at 34.5 inches above my cooking surface, but up to 36 inches would probably be acceptable for capture.

You can of course go with other hood manufacturers providing the same or larger sizes, or for superior height clearance -- "as out of our way as possible!" -- adopt some version of the quasi-commercial approach taken by @opaone: https://bamasotan.us/range-exhaust-hood-faq/. I vaguely recall his is 30 x 40 at 7 ft. floor height.

• Cq Bk
    12 months ago

Thanks @kaseki - interesting article! Some good suggestions on brands.