Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Want a gas stove, but not sure about my gas line

Posted by lizzyd (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 21:22

Several years ago I remodeled my kitchen and at the time I opted to keep my current appliances. Now I am looking to upgrade and what I would really like is a gas stove. During the remodel my contractor happened to point out the gas line that was near where the stove used to sit. We moved the stove a bit and now the line is about a foot away.

Is the distance a problem for a new stove? Will a typical Home Depot contractor have any trouble with the installation?

And my other concern... any possibility that the line to the kitchen might not work? I am not sure if it was ever used before. The house is about 30 years old. I am afraid that I'll get a new stove delivered and then it won't work.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Want a gas stove, but not sure about my gas line

Will your township require in inspection? Last year we installed a Jotul gas fireplace and our township required us to have a gas inspection before giving us the permit to install. All they did was come out and count how many gas appliances were hooked up to the gas line. Then he measured the diameter of the pipe and said it was sufficiently large enough to add another appliance. Our existing gas appliances were 2 furnaces, a double wall oven, 2 water tanks and a clothes dryer.

Our gas company will also come out and inspect the gas line - maybe you could check with yours.

RE: Want a gas stove, but not sure about my gas line

First off Lowes delivery folks aren't trained to do much beside general appliance hook ups.

If you want a gas range first thing I would do is get in a qualified person, plumbing/heating to check (gas line) and possibly move the gas line over to where the stove will be. Much nicer fit for the range to be up close to the wall it will sit on.

What you are wanting isn't all that complicated as long as you have gas coming into you house that you use for something like heat. If you don't have any active gas line to the house then it can be a bit more complicated.

Again anyone qualified to work on a gas line, and I mean qualified, will know if you need any permits or inspections.
Most homes that have gas heat have a gas line that is capable of handling a hot water tank, gas stove, dryer and furnace. Again a qualified person will be able to tell you want you start there first. This isn't a DIY or Lowes job:-)

RE: Want a gas stove, but not sure about my gas line

Make sure to check the gas line installation instructions on your specific range--often there is a recess in the range back and you'll need to have the line in that area.

A flexible gas line will make it easier but you'll want to be in the general area.

RE: Want a gas stove, but not sure about my gas line

The gas company should be used to inspect the lines and perform the hook-up. In some places (maybe nationally) they are empowered to shut off the gas if annual inspections are not performed or if unapproved methods of hookup are used.

You may not have a 30-inch line like San Bruno, but even a one-inch line can cause a lot of harm if it leaks.


RE: Want a gas stove, but not sure about my gas line

I would like to buy a propane gas stove and gas dryer but I do not know who I should call. I do not know if I have gas line at the new house

RE: Want a gas stove, but not sure about my gas line

Call a plumber or gas fitter, somebody licensed and local. Tell them you want a quote on a gas range install and that your gas line will have to be moved. "Within one foot," though good news generally, is not sufficient for a proper install of a range. You want a perfectly positioned gas hookup, with a good shutoff installed in just the right spot so as not to interfere with your new range. This is not something to fool around with. Get a plumber and get it done right.

When they do the estimate, they will check the gas line for proper size, and do an evaluation of your household demands to see if the meter and piping will accommodate the range. Chances are, it being a 30-yr-old house, it will be a simple affair and not too expensive to put in the valve.

RE: Want a gas stove, but not sure about my gas line

You may not have to move the line at all. A foot away is nothing, and sometimes it is better than if it was right behind the range, because the end of the pipe might hit the range.

Here's how it goes. If you can see the end of the pipe, there is probably a cap on it. There may also be a small red lever called a 'shut off valve'.. It's not the main shut off, just a small one for the range. If it's not there, you should add one.

A plumber or someone can add this shut off valve in two minutes if it doesn't interfere with walls or cabinets.

Otherwise they may have to extend the pipe either under the floor or in the wall. And yes, that is a bigger job

Basically, the gas is shut off,(A clever plumber who has everything ready to go may not even bother to turn the gas off if the pipe doesn't have to be moved) ... the cap on the gas pipe in your kitchen is removed, and the shut off valve screwed on with teflon pipe putty.

Now you don't need the cap, you just turn the valve to 'off' (this is always perpendicular to the gas pipe). And the gas can be turned back on -assuming it was turned off to install the appliance shut off valve.

Now you're ready to go, simple install a gas flex hose from the small appliance shut off valve to the back of the gas range. These flex lines are usually about 2 feet long- but often longer.

Once the flex line is installed,(usually running under the range, or between the legs of the range and then up the back to the connection on the range) you turn the small shut off valve 'on' and you're ready to cook.

Now, the only tricky part is knowing where the gas connection is on the back of the range. Every manufacturer puts it in a different spot, but usually it's fairly low on the back.
So, yes, you may have to add some gas pipe, or an elbow, because you don't want the gas pipe or the flex line to hit the range.

Usually the gas pipe should be close to the floor and between the legs of the range,(either in the floor or low on the wall) or off to the side a bit if there is no interference with cabinets and doesn't show. The plumber will need to know this before doing any work, or you should have the range nearby for them to look at.

Oh, and you're going to need an electric outlet nearby as well. This should also be close to the floor so the plug won't hit the back of the range, or again- slightly off to the side if there's not interference and doesn't look bad.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here