Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help with Hood Blower/Insert-CROSSPOST

Posted by twinmommy77 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 21:11

I posted this in kitchens and someone suggested I post it here as well.

We purchased a wood hood that matched our new kitchen cabinets. The hood comes with a liner, but we did not buy the blower insert, or whatever it is we need, through the cabinet company because I know they jack those prices up sky high.

So now we are trying to figure out what it is we need to buy to complete it. Just looking over the Omega National Products website (who manufactured the wood hood) it seems we need a blower insert and a housing unit. The website also mentions their hoods are built with Broan blowers in mind, but does that mean we are stuck with only Broan or should we be able to use any brand?

And if we can use any brand what dimensions do we need to be looking at to figure out what blower will fit?

It's a 36" wood hood, but I'm not sure if that matters or if we just need to be looking at the size of the opening in the liner.

This is the one area of our kitchen both my husband and I feel like we are just clueless and not finding clear answers.

TIA

Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help with Hood Blower/Insert-CROSSPOST

One question you need to answer before selecting a hood is what type of cooking device is it going over? Pro ranges will require higher CFMs. If you take a peek in your range/rangetop/cooktop's manual, it should give a minimum CFM recommendation for the hood.

Next question, is the vent pipe already in place in the wall? If so, what size/circumference is it? The circumference will also help determine which hood you can use.

Are you dealing with an appliance store for your other appliances? They should be able to assist you and point you in the right direction. If you're using a chain store for your appliances, you may need to seek out the advice of a locally owned appliance store or a Ferguson's showroom if there is one nearby. They are typically better equipped to answer your questions.

Hope this helps!

o

It's not a pro range. It's a Maytag electric double oven with a smoothtop (5 elements). I looked through the manual and couldn't find anything indicating a CFM. We actually purchased it directly from Whirlpool (by phone or internet) through some employee discount program at my husband's work so we haven't been working with an appliance store.

As for the vent pipe no, it's not in place yet. There was no prior ventilation system.

Thanks for the info. Maybe we will try and check out a local appliance store and see what we can find out.

Heather

o

You might as well take advantage of not yet obtaining an internal fan and use a roof-mounted blower. This will somewhat reduce the noise present at the hood.

kas

o

If the hood was meant to hold a Broan insert it should also fit Best and Zephyr products as they all use the same footprint for their insert "power packs". Check out the Best PK series and Zephyr Tornado series.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here