Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlbeardie

Replace or repair Scotsman ice maker?

atlbeardie
11 years ago

Our 23(!) year old undercounter Scotsman ice maker has mysteriously stopped making ice. I believe money for a service call would be wasted given the ice maker's age.

I had always thought that when it died I would replace it with a Hoshizaki ice maker because that brand has been highly recommended on this forum. However, I still can't find any first hand reports from anyone who actually has one. I am particularly concerned that it might be too noisy. The ice maker is installed at a wet bar in our den, close to our main TV viewing area. The Scotsman was pretty noisy, and I'd be interested in getting something quieter than it ....but I bet even the more modern Scotman models are quieter than the dinosaur that we had.

Some postings say that the Scotsman ice makers aren't reliable anymore. True?

Can I get an ice maker that is reliable, trouble-free and quiet?

Antss and Deeageaux - please weigh in and give some advice.

How about SubZero? Yes, I know they're more expensive, but if it lasts and is quiet, I'm willing to spend the money.

BTW, we want big cubes for drinks on the rocks - not the smaller cubes or pellets.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• atlbeardie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations. The Manitowoc sounds good, so I will look into it. "Board room quiet" sounds wonderful, especially after our noisy Scotsman.

There have been other posts indicating that the Manitowac might not be warranted for residential use. I will look into this, but do you know off hand whether that is true?

Athensmomof3 was kind enough to respond to my inquiry about her Hoshikazi, confirming that it is fairly noisy.

Anybody else have any recommendations or feedback on specific brands?

• lee676
    11 years ago

There have been other posts indicating that the Manitowac might not be warranted for residential use. I will look into this, but do you know off hand whether that is true?

I do, and it's not true.

Manitowoc's spec sheet states the SM50 is ''designed for use in break rooms, luxury box suites, or residential ice maker applications''. And the Installation/Use and Care Manual included when you buy one spells out the one year warranty (on page 8) when installed in a home. That's not as good as the 3-year warranty that commercial customers get, but it's in line with most other residential appliance warranties.

If I recall correctly, many years ago they only wanted to sell to businesses, but their equipment gained such a good rep that homeowners wanted them too, and the company relented. Kind of like Viking, or more recently, True.

• lee676
    11 years ago

(that is, page 8 of the PDF file, but section 1-4 of the printed manual)

• atlbeardie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information, Lee676. You saved me some legwork. Manitowoc it will be!

• lee676
    11 years ago

Clear ice machines as a group aren't known for being very quiet - if that's a major concern, you may be better off with something like one of the U-line non-clear icemakers that don't use a drain - but these are little more than glorified refrigerator icemakers, and make the same cloudy, sometimes smelly ice crescents that stick together if left there for too long, and some need manual defrosting. U-Line also claims to make the quietest clear ice maker if you get their high-end models, with those ordered with the drain pump for non-gravity-fed drains being quieter during the drain function than those with an pump installed as an accessory. They too have a 3-hour silencing mode.

I assume if you have a Scotsman you already have a drain of some sort; if it's below the ice machine drain you don't need a pump. I've read noise complaints about the Manitowoc online, but the one I've used in person was quiet - you could hear a hum but it was unobtrusive, and so fast at making ice that it usually wasn't running at all. The ice quality is vastly better than your refrigerator's icemaker - clear, slightly wet cubes that have no odor or taste, and don't stick to each other. The ice scoop holder on the inside of the door is a nice touch.