Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misswriter

Kitchen Aid vs. Wolf rangetop

misswriter
11 years ago

We are in the final stages of choosing our appliances for our new home and have narrowed our stove choices down to the Wolf 36" gas rangetop or the Kitchen Aid 36" pro-style gas rangetop. The Wolf is $1,700 more than the Kitchen Aid. So my question: is the Wolf worth the extra money? What do you think the benefits are (besides the name which I don't care about)?

I would also love to hear from any Kitxhen Aid range top owners. I've had trouble finding any reviews.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• wekick
    11 years ago

Are you talking about the current Wolf model with the sealed burners or the one with semi sealed burners that has been discontinued (but may still be available)?

• misswriter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Current w sealed

• misswriter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your input! The lowest the KA goes is 1,300 BTUs. That doesn't mean a lot to me at this point--maybe you can help me figure out what kinds of things I would need a lower simmer for. What would 1,300 not be low enough for? Would it be adequate for simmering rice? Melting chocolate?

• sophie123
    11 years ago

1300 btus isn't very low. i find the simmer setting being very low (but not clicking) is more important in my cooking than a super high BTU. When you are making soup or melting chocolate or just keeping food warm on the stove, its great to have. Mine goes down to 140 degrees on all 5 (cooktop) burners.

• 1_ohio_bald_eagle
    11 years ago

I know the KA has an aluminum chrome-infused griddle (image how the kids will like that with their pancakes - Yum!) which you can only use plastic utensils and "very" gentle cleaning methods. The Wolf griddle is commercial style griddle. Can be used with metal spatula and is designed for 20 years of use.

Good luck

• wekick
    11 years ago

"The lowest the KA goes is 1,300 BTUs."

I am betting the one 5K(simmer/melt) burner goes lower. They only list the low rating on the power burner. The difference is it only goes that low on one burner. I use the low heat for anything that requires a double boiler, anything that might burn easily and use them all at the same time if I am having a big family dinner to hold food with no scorching. BUT there are always work arounds-use a double boiler, a copper simmer plate, or simmer your soup in the oven.

"Mine goes down to 140 degrees on all 5 (cooktop) burners."

You can't really compare 140 degrees with the number of btus. The 140 degrees is a number made up by the manufacturer. Each burner has a rating with a high and low number of btus. You have to know this number to make somewhat of a comparison. You could take 325K btu burner and put a cast iron skillet with melted sugar on it and get one temperature or a copper stock pot with water in it and get something totally different. There are too many variables to give a temperature.

• wekick
    11 years ago

This from KA customer service-

Model number KGCU467VSS center rear burner 5K low end is 500 BTUs and the 15K low end is 1850 BTUs.

• barbarajaffe
    10 years ago

Misswriter, what did you end up getting and do you like it? I'm weighing the same choice. I'm leaning toward the KA, but worried about high btu and electric ignition. Thanks.

• Alison Miller
    3 years ago

Fast forward, which one did you end up buying, why, and how has it worked ? I am shopping these now

Thank you

• nontoxspot
    3 years ago

I have the KA and the back burner has a nice low simmer, I like the varied burners and we have it down which pot goes where and which burner works best for what we're cooking. It came down to Wolf and KA for us, too - I selected KA for dependability and cost savings. It looks nice, too!