Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old lake house frig

Posted by red_lover (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 20:41

Our lake house was built in 74. The refrigerator is old. Lately I have noticed that every time it kicks on the lights in the house dim significantly. The house is an old A frame that has been added on to twice.

Do you think its the refrigerator or do you think it's the wiring in the old house?

Any ideas?

Here's the old troublemaker. As I sit here typing, I feel like I'm in a horror movie.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old lake house frig

It's probably the refrigerator. The compressor is getting old or is ready to fail and requires more and more electrical current to start.

You can rule out the circuit by plugging it into a different circuit.

o

Do you mean plug it into a different outlet to see if the lights stop flickering?

o

I can't just plug it into any outlet can I?

Doesn't it require a special outlet?

Thanks for any advice?

o

You can plug it into another receptacle, just make sure the receptacle in on a different circuit. If it isn't convenient to move the refrigerator use a heavy duty extension cord.

o

Are there any other large (motor) loads in the house?

o

Mike--How do I know if the receptacle is on a different circuit?

Ionized--what do you mean by large motor loads? The house has a stackable w/d, a/c unit (rarely used), old electric range, small microwave, coffee pot, lots of ceiling fans, one old television (rarely used), 1600 sq ft

Thanks fellas!

o

How do I know if the receptacle is on a different circuit?
You have to know the electrical layout of your house.

Or, figure out which breaker shuts off the outlet that the refrigerator is on *now*, then plug it into a *different* outlet that *still works* while the breaker in question is *off*.

o

Sorry, if there is a comparable load, it should also dim the lights if the refrig is operating correctly. If the frig compressor motor is going belly-up its current draw will increase as mike_kaiser suggested.

o

Thanks guys, you are great. But, this stuff is way over my head. And hubby is not handy.

I think I will just call an electrician. It will be worth a couple of hundred bucks to have peace of mind.

Again, thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here