Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolittakat

Can I get your opinions on Fisher & Paykel refrigerators?

lolittakat
11 years ago

My husband and I are appliance shopping, we never agree on anything but this Fisher & Paykel fridge left us speechless! It's so good looking, seems to be very well built and we couldn't even find anything remotely close to it in it's price range.

We are interested in model RF175WDUX1, we currently own GE profile side by side, an older fridge that came with the house, and we absolutely hate it! the freezer opens against the wall so we can only open it 90% we can't put anything large in the freezer and we can't access our ice, as it would require opening the door more. The water/ice dispenser is chunky and never works and the inside shelves are cracking. The fridge looks bulky and sticks out past the door frame into the pantry.

this fridge however is almost the same width but it is counter depth, very clean looking, modern, one door, with a very sleek looking water dispenser that does not dominate the fridge. Space inside seems very usable, and if this one door only opens 90% against the wall, it doesn't seem as that would be an issue as we would still have access to our entire fridge. I'm not sure if we want the door to open against the wall or against the counter top, maybe someone can advise me on that?

Anyways this refrigerator seems to answer all of our needs except, i can't find many reviews on it, or other fisher and paykel fridges for this matter, and what i do find is questionable.Does anyone have experience with these refrigerators, what can you say about them?

thank you!

Comments (10)

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

I'm hoping someone can answer with some experience because I have been looking at this one too. I have researched a lot about F&P ranges and am sold on those based on quality and features based on value. The few reviews I've seen on sites like AJ Madison have been very good.

• rmtdoug
    11 years ago

A colleague of mine has owned a F&P fridge for many years, at least ten. In fact, we were just discussing fridges as I am in the market for a smaller sized fridge, which they do build. She likes theirs and did not indicate anything had ever gone wrong with it. That's the only direct knowledge I have. It was enough for me to keep them in the hunt.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

I am NOT saying that this is a bad thing, but F&P has been in increasing financial difficulty over the last few years. Chinese appliance giant Haier, who had a 20% stake in F&P since the 2009 downturn, just won majority control of F&P with the next four largest shareholders agreeing to sell their stake to Haier. This gives Haier 51.6% of F&P.

It remains to be seen what effect this will have long-term on F&P's manufacturing and quality control. Haier is making no promises about possible staff layoffs or other changes.

Here is a link that might be useful: SF Chronicle: F&P bought by Haier - Oct 18, 2012 article

• lolittakat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

big thanks to everyone who gave an input! I would hate to buy a chinese made fridge, so i better hurry up and buy it before Hailer takes over. I've done so much research so far and nothing comes even close to F&P as far as the design and function in the same price range.

• wallycat
    11 years ago

I have an Haier chest freezer from costco that works well...it is at least 1-1/2 years old. Not sure that is the same thing, to extrapolate a refrigerator function, but thought I would put it out there.

• geromat
    10 years ago

I was unlucky enough to buy one RF195ADUX and regret it every day since.
    My suggestion is to keep away from this brand even if they give it to you free.
    Its VERY noisy,
    They say it has cool water outlet (but cool water tank is only 750cl, less than 3 glasses !?! and with a very slow flow)
    Ice cube producing is also a joke.
    Gaskets came off the first year.
    Finally the most important is that freezer is unable to go bellow -12C which poses a health risk with the food stored.
    They came twice for servicing and concluded that this is how this fridge is.
    STAY AWAY unless its nice looks is more important for you

• margaretsrubbish
    3 years ago

I regret my F&P refrigerator purchase EVER DAY. It makes little ice and I must pick up a bag of ice when I shop. Salesman didn't know/warn me. When I complained, it was "just the way it is designed" Not for North American customers' needs.

• Susan Brooks
    last year

We have had an F&P refrigerator, counter depth, bottom freezer, for four years. It is superb. Surprising capacity for such a small size, quality materials. We recommend it highly.

• eandhl2
    last year

14 years ago bought ours, pluged it in and run fine since.