Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackiemcg_gw

New Oven - How long does the smell last?

jackiemcg
15 years ago

My Electrolux double wall ovens were installed about 8 weeks ago and I am finally getting around to using them. I turned it on today and it gives off quite a smell. I am hosting a party next weekend and I would really like to get rid of that smell. Any idea how long that smell will last or any tips on how to make the smell go away quickly? Thanks

Comments (14)

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Does your owners manual say anything about a break-in procedure? Our Wolf's did, and what seemed to be a light oil burned off as a result, mostly in the upper oven. After that it was clear sailing.

• frunty
    15 years ago

I know the smell you're talking about, both the ovens in our 30" Electrolux WaveTouch range gave off an odor the first 10 uses. Called the appliance store, and they said to run it at 400 degrees for 30 minutes a few times to burn off anything left during the manufacturing process. It seemed to diminish the smell for us, though there's a little bit of odor still.

Strangely, Electrolux's sub-brand Frigidaire recommends a similar break-in procedure, but I didn't see anything in our Electrolux manual about it. Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigidaire FAQ

• jackiemcg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

frunty - Thanks. I did check the owner's manual and didn't see anything. I ran it last night for about an hour at 500 degrees and again this morning for a half hour at 350 degrees. It does seem like it smells less - hopefully it is not because I am just getting used to the smell LOL. I will run it several more times at 400. Thanks for the info.

• jakvis
    15 years ago

I generally recommend running a new oven through a self clean after the unit has been installed. The self clean will take the oven temp up to 800+ degrees. This will burn off any manufacturing residues and also help set the insulation.
    Just make sure you remove the racks before starting the self clean as per the manufacturers instructions.

• canuck99
    15 years ago

Miele ovens were high temp for 2 hrs I think. I used 500 deg for 2 hrs both at the same time.

• valerie_radcliffe
    8 years ago

I agree. Why does everything have to be toxic?????

• valerie_radcliffe
    8 years ago

We just got our new stove, and the smell is really toxic. We've had it for almost two weeks, and I have not been able to bake anything in the oven yet. How long does it take for this smell to burn off? I'm sure its not good for you.

• Margaret Brunhammer
    8 years ago

I have had my whirlpool ranage since March 11 2016 have used oven about 7 times still strong odor im getting worried makes my eyes burn whirlpool manual says its normall breakin odor

• walton304
    7 years ago

I got a ge gas range over 4 months ago and the chemical smell everytime I use my oven is still horrible. I finally called to schedule a technician to come out and was told it's completely normal and that since my model doesn't have a self clean feature to put it on high broil for at least an hour. It doesn't seem normal to me that I have had this oven over 4 months and the chemical fumes in the air are still burning my eyes and throat. It has to be more than just oil from manufacturing. I did what she said and have it on broil now, I hope it works. I rent and feel like I don't have a lot of options besides just not using the oven. Of course I'm sure that the landlord picked the cheapest range he could find.

• tiamaria121
    7 years ago

I bought a smeg double oven and I've had it on high temperature for about 1-2 hours each time to try and get rid of the toxic chemicals. I've done this about 5-6 times so far

The second time I had all the windows doors opened but stayed in the room next to the kitchen for only about 5 minutes and the chemicals from the oven made me feel so sick. Even though the kitchen door was closed! It must have seeped through the gap! I had nausea and had to go to bed really early as I felt so sick.

It's dreadful, I am so disappointed that we have to go through all this hassle with a new oven.

I've just put a tray of water and lemons in both sections of the oven and put on high heat to try and help rid the smell and absorb the toxins

Keep wiping around the oven and just having it on as much as possible before you cook. As there is something very dangerous about the chemicals they r using in the oven! Of all places!

Such a good idea! Let's poison everyone!

Keep pet birds or any pets out of the kitchen whilst you are de fuming as I read that pets have died because of this chemical smell.

It needs to be stopped as I haven't been able to use my oven for weeks and actually feel scared to ever use it.

Good luck with your new oven

• Richard Edwards
    5 years ago

just bought a frigidaire which has no preheat for oven. so when you break in oven (run at 400 degrees for 30 minutes) the top element never turns on. do oven at 400 for 40 minutes then right away switch to broil for 40 minutes. might cut down having to do it two more times. hope it helps

• valerie_radcliffe
    4 years ago

Probably part insulation, and whatever the mfr uses. Maybe fire retardants. I’m just guessing. I know exactly what you mean by the odor. My oven finally does not emit odors thank goodness. Good luck.

• HU-256715564
    3 years ago

Is it normal for the convect fan to start and stop every 10 seconds on a whirlpool.