Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryh1234

Help on Deep Fryer Watts

maryh1234
15 years ago

I'm going to buy a small 220v deep fryer. I'm looking at a light commercial model by Anvil, model FFA8015. It has 6000 watts. I'm a little confused because they have a slightly more expensive model with only 3000 watts (FFA8115). That model does have a drain spigot and a "cold zone" and maybe is built a little better. I have emailed the seller this question, but I would like an impartial opionion from someone who understands watts and cooking.

It seems to me that with the light use i would be giving it, the more watts would be better. (they both hold 15 lbs of oil)

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

Is this something you plan on using for home use? 15 pounds of oil is approximately seven quarts and 6000 watts is a tremendous amount since the average home fryer is about 1500. It would also require special wiring.

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

6000w and 220v? Thats about 30 amps.

It should heat faster, but I wouldn't want to drain it without the spigot.

• maryh1234
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, this is for home use. We already have the 220 to the kitchen on a 30 amp circuit. As long as I don't use the stove and fryer at the same time, we'll be okay.

I really don't think the average home fryer does a very good job unless you have the patience to do several small batches. Anvil does make a 10 lb model with 2500 watts (also 220v). But, gosh, 10 lbs is barely over a gallon of oil. That just seems so small!

As for draining the oil, I think if I let it cool a little that I can handle it.

What I'm getting from your answers is that 6000 watts might be a little overkill but is manageable?

Thanks again.

• llaatt22
    15 years ago

A look at the big download pdf manual on the Anvil site shows that the 6000w unit consists of two 220v 3000w elements in parallel while their other fryers have one. This unit is obviously designed for a special use, probably cooking high volume multiple orders of frozen product as quickly as possible.

Until you can find out more about its intended purpose, I would not consider it. The intense heat output, short oil life,grease splatter, oil storage/disposal, and cleaning difficulty would not be items I would want to deal with.

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

How many people will you be cooking for? Not being able to run your stove and the fryer at the same time seems to me to be very inconvenient.

• maryh1234
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This forum is so great.

laat2, thanks for pointing me to the big manual at the Anvil site. I think the unit you looked at is the 8130, a 30 lb model with 2 elements of 3000w each. The 8015 drawing clearly shows just one heating element which they describe as 5600w. But that really makes me pause. If they think that 6000w is enough for 30 lbs, why on earth would I need that much power for 15lb. Unless, as you point out, it's for a special purpose. Maybe I should lower my sights a little and look at their 10 lb model. It only has 2500 watts, but my understanding is that the 220v makes that pretty powerful.

I am only cooking for 2-4, sometimes 6 people. I hardly ever use my electric stove because I have a gas stove also.

I'm so glad I posted here. It really helps to "talk it out".

Thanks again.

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

Buy an oil that is designed for deep frying to use in this fryer, Sam's,Costco or some similar place will have what you need,do not just buy veg oil at your grocers to use.

Good luck on cleaning this fryer and it will need to be cleaned after each use unless you are just doing a few french fries.

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

The 30lb one I see is for restaurant use. Thats why it has the two elements: so that the oil can be reheated quickly between batches, batch after batch.

If that's what you need it for, then go for it.

PS: if you use a decent oil, I know folks you make biodiesel would love to take the waste off your hands.