Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paugust_gw

Crasy To Buy High End Induction Cooktop Off Craigslist?

paugust
9 years ago

So just as I am finalizing a bid with my contractor, I saw a used Thermador Freedom (zoneless) cooktop come up on Craigslist. Purportedly unused. Not installed, so I can't test it.

Assuming that the seller checks out and I can get it for half price (still 2.5k), what should I look out for? Any ways to protect myself in the transaction? No warranty, so I was thinking of buying through PayPal and scheduling installation for within the time limit to dispute a purchase.

Other thoughts welcome. I'm cautiously optimistic about getting my dream cooktop, but preparing for it not to work out.

Comments (4)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Who is selling this? An individual? A business?

I was in the exact same situation as you not that long ago, I saw a new in box induction range on Craigslist for under a third the price new. The story was they bought it for a remodel which did not go as originally planned and they had no use for. I went for it and I'm very glad I did. But, I paid much less than $2500 so I had a lesser risk. What really sealed the deal was meeting these people in person and seeing how unlikely it was they were scammers. That, plus the fact that the range was in the original factory seal and box told me they had nothing to hide. Of course I was still running the risk that something might be wrong from the factory (unknown to the sellers) and I wouldn't be able to get it repaired under warranty, since it expired. That was a risk I was willing to take for that price. All these factors may not be present in your situation in which case I'd be really careful.

Sorry but your Paypal idea will most likely not fly on Craigslist. Personally when I sell there I will only take cash, or if it's something big and the buyer insists, a CLEARED check. There are too many scammers out there and Paypal is too inconsiderate of sellers for most people to want to deal with them. Also I'm pretty sure they will only protect you if the item is shipped.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 20:56

• paugust
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts. It's from an individual who has all original receipts, etc. He seems trustworthy. Cooktop is 5K retail, and I've never seen a sale, so 2-2.5k would be a great deal. It doesn't look like there's any way to test it out short of actual installation, unfortunately.

That's disappointing that Paypal wouldn't cover something you buy in person. I certainly get why a sellerwould be anxious about accepting it, although I thought transfers were instant so there was little risk of not getting the money.

Perhaps I will simply raise all these issues as reasons why I'm reluctant to buy and see if the seller has any other ideas or is willing to cut price further to account for the risk I'd be taking on.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Trust me, Paypal can be risky. I have been burned by them before as a seller (luckily, it wasn't anything that expensive). They ALWAYS seem to go with what the buyer says and rarely listen to the seller. The issue is not getting the money, it's keeping the money. The buyer will appear to have paid, but the money disappears soon after a claim is filed and often came from a hacked account.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Bummer on your PP experience. I found them to be very helpful when I realized that someone was trying to scam me. They helped me determine that my account was secure but still suggested changing my PW (which I did).

I have used PP for CL but usually only cash.

I snagged a Boos cart on CL - sad story - the SIL passed away and never assembled the cart and the DB sold it via CL. I paid cash for this one.

Half off a Freedom - I am drooling as what a great opportunity - but might not be able to get a warranty.