Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alohaeyes

30 Inch Samsung Induction Range $1999

alohaeyes
14 years ago

Samsung has launched a competitor to the freestanding Kenmore/Electrolux and GE induction ranges and is beating their price big time. Best Buy is taking online orders for $1999. The controls on the glass cooktop near the front look like a good idea. Lots of info on this new item at www.samsung.com. Anybody seen one close-up yet? Or have further info?

Comments (39)

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

I think it's too new. The hob layout is a bit restrictive to my preferences.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

Looking good! The more on the floor the better.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Was just at Lowe's, and they are supposed to get some in this week. I'm pretty excited to see it, although it looks like their other ranges.

• arley_gw
    14 years ago

It'll be interesting to see the complete specs. The Samsung website doesn't say what the wattages of the hobs are, or if there are timers. Anybody seen a more detailed writeup than the Samsung website?

• kaffine
    14 years ago

Kinda of an odd layout for the burners but I could live with it. I would prefer a second large burner but I don't use 2 large burners at the same time very often.

Does anyone know how well the steam clean oven works?

The PDF spec sheet lists the wattage of the burners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spec sheet

• lennym
    14 years ago

A consumer/reviewer of one of the other high end Samsung electric ranges on the Best Buy site writes, in part:

"The oven works very good, altough it is quite big for me since I don't bake a lot (I wish it were a double oven like the maytag). But i've used the steam clean feature and it's the greatest idea someone ever had to make cleaning an oven a little easier. Don't expect the grease to be collected at the bottom of the oven to wipe it down. You still have to wipe the whole oven to get rid of that, but at least is easier than trying to scrape it out. Love the hidden baking element though it makes cleaning a lot easier."

• arley_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link, kaffine; the price of $1800-2000 sounds pretty reasonable just for a cooktop with those wattages, and this is for an entire range! They list the timers as 'kitchen timers' as opposed to shutoff timers, but for that price it seems like a pretty good deal. (To get shutoff timers on a cooktop you're talking a higher price range.)

When they make it to my local Best Buy I'm gonna take a look at it. I wish Samsung would post a PDF of the user's manual. I'd like to know how many cooking levels the hobs have. My little induction hot plate only has 6 (that's too few), and Cooktek's induction units have 100 (that's probably overkill).

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Haven't had a chance to run into Lowe's to see it. Hopefully this weekend.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

I wish GE and Samsung would come out with slide-ins in the induction models!

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

They got them in at Lowe's. I do not care much for all-electronic controls (looks too Darth Vader to me) and prefer knobs, but overall, it looks very good. Through tomorrow they have 10% off all Samsung, but if Best Buy has it for $1699 Lowe's should price match. Darn, that's a good price considering I was looking at GE Profile smoothtops, non-induction.

I don't think my Circulon pans that I got last Christmas will work with it, though.

• arley_gw
    14 years ago

Checked out the stove at H H Gregg and at Best Buy.

Here are the wattages for the hobs:

Left front 2400, boost to 3700
    Left Rear 1400, boost to 2000
    Right Front 1400 boost to 2000
    right rear 1800 boost to 2600

The power boost function stops after 10 minutes and it then defaults to 'high'

Those power levels are consistent with other induction cooktops in this price range (and you have a oven, to boot!)

According to the owners' manual there are 9 power levels for each hob. However, there are about 30 LED's in a graphical power display, so I don't know if there are steps between the levels (which would make, in effect, more levels to choose from).

FWIW, Best Buy had it for $1700 and HHGregg had it for $1875. I didn't check what that included (delivery, installation, etc.) so by the time all those factors were included the prices may be closer to each other.

While I didn't use the stove, for as much as you can tell by just looking at it, it looks like a pretty good stove for the money. Would like to hear from someone who actually has used it.

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

I've got my eye on this one, too. It's pretty, that's for sure, and the $1700 price at Best Buy is quite affordable.

Cons, for me:
    It doesn't have the glide-out racks like the upcoming Electrolux probably will.
    The burner sizes seem a little odd to me
    Touch controls

Pros:
    Although there is a backspash control, the temperature of the burners themselves is controlled on the surface near the front of the range, so you don't have to reach over any hot pots.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

The Samsung FTQ307NWGX induction ranges have started to trickle into Canada at a list price of C$2900 plus tax. Futureshop had 2 left in BC and 1 in Alberta when I checked. One is being offered as a prize on CITY tv later this month so it seems they will be pretty scarce for a while.

The Use and Care Manual has some helpful information and some silly stuff left over from rewriting it from the old original radiant cooktop range manual. Mostly safety warnings like "Don't reheat leftover foodstuffs wrapped in aluminum foil on the hot plates (burners)."

Uh Huh. OK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Use and Care Manual

• carolinabeach
    14 years ago

alabamanicole, is it true that Electrolux is coming out with an induction range? I just don't like the Samsung or the GE induction ranges, so was seriously considering the wavetouch Electrolux electric instead. An induction version would be perfect for me.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Just saw on Sears site for $1679! It does not say induction, but it is the model number for induction, FTQ307NWGX.

• seliles
    14 years ago

Is there really an Electrolux induction range coming out soon? Anyone have information on it? Touch controls or knobs? Slide-in?

Thanks!
    pbear

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

The Electrolux rep told me that there was indeed an Electrolux induction range coming out "soon," which usually means in the fall sometime. And it would be an "improved version" of the one they make under the Kenmore Elite badge.

That's all I got. I would assume there would be both freestanding and slide-in models, since they already make them for Kenmore, but you never know.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I'll be watching you guys sleuth out a good deal. I'm 76 miles from a Home Depot or Lowe's so after the price goes down a little, I'll start making those research trips. I hadn't planned to replace the two year old glass top but I hate it so much, now is a good time to think about replacing it. I will have the space for a freestanding after I dump my present stove so everything should be a piece of cake ;-) What is involved in hooking the induction up? Just electrical? When I buy one, can I haul it home in my pick up and plug it in? Will it plug into my existing 220?

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

We're talking about 'range' here. It hooks up like any other electric range. You shouldn't have any problems as long as your current circuit is rated sufficiently.

'Cooktops' would be the same in that if the current circuit is the same or higher rating, you should have no problem hooking it up, though cooktops are normally designed to be directly connected without a plug.

I saw the Samsung range at BB. Where the other induction ranges (Kenmore, GE) have individual controls for each hob, the Samsung has only one control for all hobs. You select which hob you want to set, then the setting. It apparently uses a 'slider' for the level setting. That is, you run your finger across a scale, left to right, to set the power level. This is different from those that have '+/-' buttons but is the same as the Cooktek Apogee that I have.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

No cook tops here, just freestanding. After the remodel it will be on an outside wall. My freestanding now is on an inside wall. Small matter to move the 220 from one wall to another.
    I've been looking at each of the freestanding ranges listed in this thread. The GE looks like a real stove! No Star Wars stuff; well, not very much. I like knobs. I'm too old to change. I have a warming thing now that I've never used. Too many bells and whistles these days. All I need is enough heat to cook food. I have to get the book out for everything so I don't try to "cook". I's too much trouble. There aren't enough hours in a day as it is without spending some of them on a stove run by a computer.

• macybaby
    14 years ago

Looked at the Samsung today and did not like the hob layout. Salesman at Lowes said something about the new electrolux would have both induction/regular on all burners. He said it would sense if the pan was induction compatable and if not than use non induction heating. I asked if he meant some hobs were induction and some regular (the hybrid I've seen) and he said No, all could be used for induction if you had the right pan on the burner.

It may be several more months before I'm ready to deal with the range wall, so I'm hoping the new electrolux will be out by then. Would love a slide in but don't like the look of the Sears - but I sort of expect the electrolux to look about the same.

However now that I've gotten use to the idea of a cooktop and separate wall oven, I'm not sure I even want to consider a slide in again (I'm driving DH nuts too).

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

The GE induction range does not have knobs.

I think that salesman is nuts.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

Perhaps confusion is understandable. You want knobs? How about the new Frigidaire radiant/induction hybrid cooktop? Perhaps there will also be a range version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knobs on a weird cooktop

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I LIKE that one! Frigidaire cooktop - induction hybrid cooktops. Price is OK but still need an oven...I like the Kenmore slide in best so far. At least I think that's the right one. I've printed everything off today. No more sear-chin', sear-chin' ev-ery-whe-re I go-oh! And that's when I discovered that I think sears upped the price and then put it on sale for the price I first saw it.

• lilleth
    14 years ago

Is anyone going to release a white induction range? I don't want stainless.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

lilleth, I'm waiting for white, too. Really, really don't like SS. Going with white everything else anyway.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

Found a Samsung FTQ307 induction range on the floor at Futureshop today for C$2800 plus taxes. As others have mentioned, the smoothtop burner sizes and configuration seem not very attractive or well thought out.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

It's still running $1900 at Sears U.S. I check the prices every day. Sears has the same price within a hundred bucks or so every day no matter what promotion they're running. I want a bargain!

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

The lowest price I have seen is $1599 at Best Buy maybe once a month. Sears and others should price match.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Thanks, gsciencechick. I still haven't seen one in person. I had my heart set on the Kenmore slide in but beachlily is having mega problems with the oven interior finish. I sure don't want that! I'll add Best Buy to my "Check These Every Day" list.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Yes, that's disconcerting about the Kenmore interior. I like the looks of that one, too. The reviews on the Best Buy site are pretty good for the Samsung. Cannot argue with the price!

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

I've seen the Samsung in person at Lowe's and Sears. It looks like the other Samsung ranges. I do like its looks. The steam clean feature is supposed to be good. I currently have a 20-year old Maytag coiltop electric range (which works perfectly well so no huge hurry to buy other than aesthetics), so I truly cannot imagine what induction with convection will be like!

Good luck! Maybe Santa will be good to you!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Just to note that I saw the Samsung at Lowes today for $1599, regular price.

• KAREN
    14 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with this range? Our local appliance store has it on sale for $1599. I may take a peak at it. I wish it had a double oven verses a warming drawer. I know Electrolux has double ovens, but I don't like the oven arrangement.

• julieofminn
    14 years ago

Samsung had a rep. at our local Best Buy and the induction stove you are all talking about.

I walked over to see it and noticed:

--1/4 of the front area is used for the flat panel, slide controls for the burners

--a much smaller arrangement of burners than I have ever seen on a smoothtop stove

I pointed out that if one wanted to boil pasta in a large pot and also simmmer sauce in a medium pot, there were not enough burners to do this!

There is one med. large burner and 3 small burners and a lot of space devoted to the controls on the stove top.

If you cook a big dinner now and then and need two 6 quart or a 6 quart and 8 quart kettle on the stovetop, this stove will not work for you. You could use several small kettles. Only one burner is adequate even for a tea kettle.

So while Samsung has the best plasma TV and LED TV, their induction stove needs someone who cooks to help with the design.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I agree it's no range for people who cook in big pots, and the burner layout is far from ideal. It certainly does look as though their main goal was to get those controls as far from the hobs as possible rather than to create an optimum layout for cooking.

Still, I'm glad to see it because I think it will help drive the price of induction ranges down to more reasonable levels.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I am happy to report mine was delivered yesterday! I stumbled upon a floor model for an incredible price and I could not pass it up though I wasn't really planning on buying right now. I think my advantage for the deal is few people outside GW and the TKO even know what the heck is induction.

Although I feel like I am commanding the Starship Enterprise in comparison to my previous very simple coiltop ranges, so far DH and I like it a lot. There is a bit of a learning curve. We've tried 3 out of 4 burners, and both the regular and convection bake. Have not tried the warming drawer yet.

The large hob is really big, even bigger than my largest skillet or pot. My medium skillet needs to go on the back right because it won't get detected there.

• cancoi
    13 years ago

Any further feedback on this model? Likes? Dislikes?

• bjturner27
    12 years ago

has anyone found a white slide in induction range? I've searched everywhere and can't find one.

I want white for sure and would really like to try an induction model. We're redoing the kitchen right now so I want to go with a slide in.

any help is very much appreciated.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz