Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jammiesallday_gw

Bluestar vs. American Range

jammiesallday
14 years ago

The stress of choosing an appliance is going to send me to the funny farm. Seriously, I stressed less about my car!!! We are looking at 36" range and these 2 come close to fitting in the budget. (squish, squeeze...bye by Lacanche).

I'd love to hear experiences with these ranges. I read a few threads about Bluestar, but is everyone really unhappy with this or are there those who have had good experiences.

Thank you for any help, I can't continue on my cabinet design until we figure this out. It slays me kitchen appliances with this aesthetic look are so expensive.

TIA

Comments (79)

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

amcook......you are right looks and finish are not so black and white as I made it sound, it is a matter of opinion,

I stand corrected :)

jn99..... I think the missing screw or no thread mostly relates to the leveling screws for the grates, bluestar did for a short time stop putting the leveling screws in the ranges, that decision has now been reversed, so all ranges should have a full compliment of screws and threads.

I am not sure what you mean by misalignment, but i will say that IMO the range will stand the test of time from a structural perspective. The other thing to consider is that the white glove install check takes care of any smaller issues you have with your new range.

• amcook
    14 years ago

jn99,

Some or most of the issues you bring up are related to bad installs. I had an installer leave my house without checking for leaks even though I specifically asked him if he did a leak check. I found a leak the following morning right above the cut-off valve. This was certainly not Bluestar's fault but they called in their own second tier technician from about 2hrs away to fix it. He also double checked everything to make sure the rest looked good.

With regard to "misalignments"... Not sure if you are referring to the grates or the oven door or something else but I've seen oven doors that don't close right because the range was not correctly leveled at install. For example one of the four legs or opposing diagonal legs are too short. This can cause the whole chassis to flex just enough to cause things to not fit right. This was on a restaurant (i.e. heavy duty) range which was arguably sturdier than any range built for the home. I have confidence that mine will last me just as long if not longer than a similar Viking or Wolf or . If you head over to some other forums, you'll see so much Viking bashing you would not believe they are still in business. Just depends on who you are talking to and how loudly they complain.

• jn99
    14 years ago

Well after much additional consideration, reading here and elsewhere and a couple more trips to the local appliance showroom, I think it's going to be a Bluestar for us.

I do have a few more questions for you Bluestar owners.

For those of you with the high shelf/backguard. Do you find it gets in the way at all when you use the back burners? Does the underside impede air flow to the hood at all? We'll be getting the 30" RNB and want to get the high shelf. Also, do you use a hood with heatlamps and find that works well warming items on the shelf? We're trying to decide whether or not to get a hood with heatlamps - the one we had originally chosen does not have the option.

Lastly, we've noticed on all the BS ranges we've seen in the showroom (6 of them!) that they often have wobbly grates - some wobble just a little, others are "off" by an 1/8th of an inch or more. Is this common? Does it affect cooking at all and is it easily fixed or will BS replace grates if they are wobbly?

Again, thanks to everyone for the replies here - it has been most helpful in the decision making process.

• jn99
    14 years ago

Okay, now I am replying to my own posts, well sort of. Talking to myself, call me crazy...

I just realized that the high shelf I saw and measured (which was on a 48" Heritage Classic) and the one I would get on the 30" RNB are different heights. That is odd, why does BS make them shorter on the 30"?

I found the one on the display seemed just high enough to hopefully not interfere use of the the back burners but seeing now that that shelf is actually 2" shorter on on the 30" RNB, I really wonder if there will be enough room on with the lower shelf. Hoping some folks with the backguard and shelf on the RNBs can respond before I order.

Thanks!

• amcook
    14 years ago

Don't have a shelf but have used a range with a shelf in a restaurant kitchen and IMHO, it's not worth it unless you are really in need of a bit more counter space. The shelf was a pain when using tall stock pots and such.

One reason they are probably shorter one a 30" is simply proportion. A shelf that looks like the right height on a 48" will likely look too tall on a 30". Just my guess.

• PRO
    14 years ago

From cooktop to the underside of the shelf is 16 1/2" the shelf extends out 10"

The Heritage range has a higher back due to the Raised Griddle.

We always recommend the 1" / island trim for the Bluestar ranges, anything higher will scorch and restrict centering larder skillets on the back burners

• malhgold
    14 years ago

I am using the 1" island trim. Can someone please confirm that I need to install fireproof material 6" below the top of the range? It's a bit confusing because where the metal island trim piece gets attached is 6" below the top of the range. Just trying to make sure if I need additional protection or not. Thanks!

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

My Bluestar is awaiting install and here it what is says in the manual:

"All ranges require a backguard. Most models
    have the option of using: an island trim; 6
    inch standard; 17 inch hi-back; 21 inch high
    shelf. Heritage Classic models require a 21
    inch high shelf for all installations.
    If you are using an island trim a six inch
    clearance between the back of the range and a
    combustible surface is required. If an island
    trim is to be used without this six inch clearance
    the back wall must be non-combustible
    and heat resistant material that extends below
    the top surface of the range a minimum of six
    inches."

I am going to use the higher 6" backsplash but just for security I plan to tile the whole way down behind the range. I will use some tiles left over from my bathroom remodel as they will not be seen.

Good luck.

• judyfoodie
    14 years ago

Buffalotina,

I also have the 6" backsplash but did NOT have to tile below the range. It is fine without doing so. I'd go 6" below the range only if you think you'd ever change out the backsplash to the island trim in the future. Better to do that now without the range in place but it would be overkill to go all the way down behind the range.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Yes, I realize it is not necessary - thank you for pointing that out. I may change to the island trim in the future and since I have tiles sitting around doing nothing I thought I would tile down far enough to support changing to the smaller trim down the road. Then that easily crept to thinking I might as well go all the way down to the floor. Overkill it may be - but this whole kitchen is bordering on overkill :) !!

• frenchman
    14 years ago

I think the Bluestar is the best _cooking_ range and as a cook that is why I picked it. It is waiting in my garage (!) for my remodel but I made enough research and have played with friends ranges that I am sure of the choice. I also think that the 36" oven is really big and now that I've added a smaller 24" wall oven to my plans I think I maybe should have gotten the 6-burners cooktop and saved myself a couple thousand dollars, but that does not detract from the cooking qualities.

• pacwest_cook
    14 years ago

I want to thank everyone on this site. I would have never considered buying a Blue Star or an American Range if it weren't for this site. The information posted has been very helpful.

I have spend many hours researching both products on-line and finally took the time to visit Albert Lee Appliance in Bellevue (near Seattle) for this store has both American Range and Blue Star 30" ranges on display.

American Range had a great display (near the front of the
    store) with many ranges.

There was a unique Step-Up range wherein the the rear burners were elevated. According to the sales person (who was extremely helpful) the commercial version of the Step-Up is used in restaurants. I really liked the look and placement of the high-BTU burners and I could see the advantages but I had my mind set on a more traditional pro-range.

The look of the American Range was very nice. Clean edges and corners, sturdy grates, clear graphics, blue burner lights and no big logo (which will bend well with my other appliances). The door was solid. It closed like a well built car door (no rattling like with the Blue Star).

The oven cavity was huge and accommodated a commercial sheet pan; which was actually in the oven! Dual convection fans and a special commercial convection technology that generated, '7-minute pre-heat times to 375F'! I was amazed by that statement but the sales person reassured me for he has an American Range in his house. This is great for now I don't have to wait 20-minutes to begin cooking/baking!

American uses a metal infrared broiler burner in the oven. The sales person stated it sears steaks quickly and this burner is used in their commercial products. My biggest concern was cleaning the burner and given the steel construction, I can clean it with a scrubbing pad. I have an outdoor BBQ with a ceramic infrared burner and that burner became useless after 6-months of use. I could never clean it in fear of damaging the burner.

I liked the burner locations and sizes on the American. The small burner is perfect for my small saute pans and the large burner will work well with my large stock pot. The BTU on the large burner is 17,000.

Albert Lee had an American broiler and griddle version on display. The grill was impressive. American uses the same steel broiler burner on the range top that they also use in the oven cavity. The sales person stated that the surface temperature reaches ~700F! Wow, a true searing station! In Seattle, being able to grill inside is a must.

Albert Lee had 2 Blue Star ranges on the floor. The Blue Star didn't look finished. No graphics for the controls, exposed screw heads and sharp corners. As I mentioned before, the door rattled when closing and opening.
    The big push (like every post I read) was the 22,000 BTU open burner. Open burner vs sealed burner, now I'm not too concerned about the cleaning problems and maintenance of open burner, because 22,000 BTU is impressive. I like the videos on the Blue Star website for that burner is great for pan frying and tempura cooking. My concern is that low heat/ simmer is only available on one-burner. In addition, all the burners are the same size. If I use a small saute pan or pot I will have poor flame coverage because the flames will lick the sides of my pots and pans.

The American Range burners offers two low simmer settings. The sales person stated that the 'ultra-low' setting can melt butter on the paper plate without burning the plate.

Albert Lee has a combination griddle/broiler range on display. Very commercial looking but again looked unfinished and unattractive. The burner is aluminized steel not stainless steel which is a lower grade steel.

I was unimpressed with the Blue Star oven. Granted it was large but with only one oven light, one convection fan and a ceramic broiler burner (no, not ceramic again!) I was left saying. 'that's it'. I never read about the performance of the Blue Star oven and now I know why. Because there isn't much to say. It's an oven. Whereas with the American Range oven I routinely read about the exceptional performance. I did like the rolling rack inside the Blue Star; something that American Range should add.

I spend around an hour comparing the two brands. I feel the American Range 30" is be a better product. Blue Star offers the 22,000 BTU open burner and that's it. In my opinion, the American Range 30" offers more value and commercial grade features than Blue Star's 30", without having the range look commercial. Also having a sales person who owns an American Range in their own home was also very helpful.

What I found interesting is that American Range is the only pro-range company with true commercial roots. American Range builds ranges for Ruth's Chris and several other restaurants in the Seattle area.

So, after extensively researching both brands I'm going with American Range and ready to cook like a pro!

Again, thank you for those who had posted on the various threads. The research has been enlightening and rewarding

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

It sounds like you've got a great salesman there to work with, which you mention by name several times and seem to have their complete American Range pitch down well, as if you could give it yourself.

I'm glad you registered yesterday to post it.

I'll take it as "informed opinion" and state that BlueStar comes from the same roots as the Garland commercial ranges.

• PRO
    14 years ago

I disagree with so many points in Pacwest cooks post that i don't know where to start.

So i think i will leave it at that :)

• thull
    14 years ago

Guess pacwest_cook joined to shill American Range.

The link below shows 2 photos of my 36" Bluestar RNB- one of the 22k burner holding about a quart of water at 179F, the other of the 15k burner holding about an inch of chicken stock at 179F.

And the flames won't "lick up the sides" of anything that's about 6" in diameter or bigger. At least not any more than they would with any other gas range out there.

• pacwest_cook
    14 years ago

Wow!

I'm a little shocked by the responses to my post. My intent was to report my personal opinion and findings. Why would a sales person (who owns the product) misinform me. Blue Star is a nice brand, was never discounted by the sales person (in fact the 22,000 BTU burner was promoted) and appears to have a strong (even defense) following on this forum.

My American Range 30" will be installed once my re-model is finished. I will report back once it is installed.

• jn99
    14 years ago

Yep, the BS crowd can be a pretty passionate lot, and as a result come across as defensive at times.

I found your post interesting as I too shopped at Albert Lee and know who your salesman is/was. I also know the main reason he chose American over Bluestar and wasn't performance. He in no way pushed one brand over the other when we were shopping and in fact told me I knew more about the ranges than he did with all my research - thanks to this forum :-)

I agree with some of your observations, primarily those on build quality and appearance. In this department the AR wins hands down IMO. However, since I started researching and really thinking about using the range it was BS that I kept coming back to. It's not just about BTUs but the way the burner performs compared to the sealed type. As probably 90+% of my cooking is done on the cooktop and not the oven, I wanted something offering more and there is really only one range, BS, that offers that.

As for videos, it sounds like you haven't yet seen the one's on Trevor's site. Do a search for BS videos and go watch em'. You may find yourself reconsidering BS. There is nothing wrong with your choice and if you are choosing form over function you made the right choice and again, there is nothign wrong with that. I think the AR is an awesome range and it is a beautiful piece of equipment. The cooktop however, is still rather pedestrian to me.

• pacwest_cook
    14 years ago

Thanks jn99

I greatly appreciate your input! I'm going to look at the video.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Great post jn99. This thread could have spun out of control without your thoughtful response.

• amcook
    14 years ago

packwest:
    You made the following comment: "Why would a sales person (who owns the product) misinform me."

If this is a serious question, here are some answers from my own experiences:

So why would a sales person misinform?

1. Commission. Dealers often offer better commissions for their sales people on products they are trying to move. The reason why the dealer is trying to move them might include better margins, meeting manufacturer quotas, excess stock on hand, one manufacturer pissed off the owner somehow, etc.

2. Targeting. This is a strategy many experience sales people use to make a sale. They basis of this is if they validate any preconceptions the buyer has, then the sale will go easier. If you go in with a heavy preference to how American Range product look over Bluestar and you don't sound like you're hooked on the Bluestar's ability to cook, then it's a lot easier sale to promote the cooking ability of American Range. Bascially, it's easier to remove the obstacles of a boulder rolling down a hill than to stop that boulder and roll it back up in a different direction.

3. Personal preference. Let's just assume he does own an American Range which I never take a face value. I don't know how many times I've walked into an appliance store or an electronics store and the sales person just happens to own the $5000 receiver I'm looking at. But for sake of argument let's say he does own it. Doesn't that just mean that his opinion may just be guided partially by his bias. Certainly, if you share the exact same needs as the sales person and trust them to make your decision for you then that's fine but I'll wager that neither of these are true.

4. Off book incentives. Not saying this is always the case and certainly not claiming American Range is guilty of this but in sales, there are situations where the regional distributor will offer up perks to sales people who sell the most units in a month. Common things are gift cards, sporting tickets, invite to special parties or events, etc. These are not exactly illegal but the possibility does make me question any sales person that's too gung-ho for a particular brand.

My best advice is to take any sale's person's advice as just that.. advice. Never assume they have your best interest at heart. I *can* guarantee you that most on this forum don't have anything to gain or lose by you choosing one brand over another. Some of us may voice strong opinions on one matter or another but in most cases, it is with the best intentions. Can you be sure your sales person is just as impartial?

I do own a Bluestar and love it. I want to share my opinions because I'm egotistical and think my opinions matter. :) Other than that, I have no motives for offering up my opinion. That said, Bluestar or not, I'd strongly advise you to reconsider sealed vs open burners. Having owned and used both, I can say that in my experience, open burners have a huge advantage in cooking performance.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• pacwest_cook
    14 years ago

amcook,

Thank you for the note. Your points are very valid. I'm about to drop around $4,000 on a range and want to make a informed buying decision.

I'm going to continue my research.

I felt as if I was being attacked.

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

pacwest_cook -- you seem to be an expert on American Range and how you 'think Blue Star copied American Range. My local dealer in Seattle will be installing this model shortly. '

Interesting that you have already made up your mind without seeing the piece.

• thull
    14 years ago

It's my natural skepticism that someone who just signed up yesterday and promptly posted about 900 words on why American Range is better is here for an ulterior motive. Otherwise, pacwest_cook is just naive or didn't apply any critical thinking to what the salesman said. That and there are way too many exclamation points in that post.

I honestly don't have a dog in this hunt. I haven't even seen an American Range to comment. But the inferred shortcomings of the Bluestar really aren't accurate.

More thoughts:

-I'm not surprised that a well-loved floor model has an oven door that rattles; YMMV when actually purchasing (my door doesn't after 3.5 years)

-The Bluestar oven also holds a full-size sheet pan. The claims on preheat time seem odd. The main way to get something to heat faster is to, well, add more heat. If you aren't doing that, I don't think it's going to make a huge difference.

- I just can't imagine cleaning a gas oven broiler in the top of the oven. Esp. on something that's running at 1000+F and burns everything off. Ceramic vs. metal is potaytoh, patahtoh.

- See above post on simmering. You're mistaken if you think the Bluestar won't. Have no idea about melting butter on a paper plate- I generally use a pan.

- The conclusion about "true commercial roots" seems odd since the Bluestar is essentially the son-of-Garland when Garland got out of the residential market. As to where they're used, whatever, the Bluestar is (at least I hear) on the Next Iron Chef these days. And Martha had a Viking last I looked.

I have no idea how the prices compare. And if I was in the market I might make a different decision after doing all the research again.

But you just can't paraphrase back that much salesman-speak here without getting called on it.

• johnnytugs1
    14 years ago

sfjeff I bought my 48" American Range sight unseen. I did see the step up model in the northern n.j. appliance store.
    It did feel alot better built then the blue star. IMO I like the A.R. better. I did have some problems but after all was said and done I was very satisfied with the service I recieved from the manufacturer. Granted if I was going to buy a blue star the only person I would buy it from would be Trevor Lawsen.

pacwest thanks for offering your experience with us.

john
    917-842-1809

• junky22
    14 years ago

Wow, these postings have taken me down a new road since yesterday. I have bought, but its not delivered so I'm going to cancel it, the Kenmore Pro Range from Sears. Went looking for a hood, ended up at Albert Lee in Bellevue (I an NOT related to or familiar with pacwest cook) yesterday and became VERY interested in the American Range. Came here to look up reviews and WHAMO! Found out about BlueStar. Watched all of Trevor's videos and even called him (nice guy!). After many hours here and on Trevor's site I'm headed back up to the local store to look at the BS in person. If I get the BS, I think I'll buy from Trevor since he has given me so much info and has shipping for $99. His customer service should be rewarded.
    Thanks to all who took the time to post their thoughts!

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

junky...I think I saw that Kenmore range when I was buying a freezer for my lab and could not believe the price they were asking for it. If you do want the Bluestar I think I can safely say you would not get better service and product knowledge anywhere than with Trevor. Mine is twixt delivery and hookup right now and he has been exemplary in answering every question and worry I have had regarding this purchase and the installation of both the range and the hood. Mine was purchased almost sight unseen. I did briefly see it in his store but was primarily interested in other options at that point and did not look too closely, so I have been worrying quite a bit! Best of luck with your decision.

• junky22
    14 years ago

buffalotina, I went back to the local store and took a closer look at the BS and the American Range. BS is pretty darn cool! And while the look of the top of the BS range definitely looks more industrial, I really like that. The sales person did say that she thinks its the best stove for the money. She has a Viking she bought right after she started working there, but said if she had it to do over again she would choose between BS & AR.

I'm watching The Next Iron Chef right now. I had heard that the show has chosen BlueStar for their stoves this year. They look pretty darn good there! They have the red ones!

Which brings to mind a new question: I will have white bead board cabinets, white plank ceiling, tuscan yellow walls (not too many walls showing) and reclaimed plank wood floors. I would love the red stove, but will it look "dated" some day or stand out too much in the kitchen? Any opinions?

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

No matter what you pick, perhaps other than white, it will be "dated" -- give it 10 years and real estate agents will be "politely" saying, "Oh, how nice, that turn-of-the century faux commercial look!" Come to think of it, white is "dated" right now. Get the color you love, you're the one buying the range and living with it. You've only got something like 190 color choices with BlueStar...

• junky22
    14 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts on color sfjeff! I like your final recommendation!

• spartywarren
    14 years ago

Our ruby red Bluestar is approaching its' 2 month anniversary and I couldn't be happier with the color. I was hesitant at first about the color but I love the color even more than when I purchased it. As to the performance I'm extremely pleased but the local service company's response time could have been better. A problem with the broiler was discovered during the white glove inspection, my DH(who was home for the service call) was informed it should take just a few days to receive the part. Two weeks later I contacted the local service company to check on the status and was told I could contact the manufacturer or he would and contact me the next day. I contacted Matt at BS and explained the situation and he indicated he would send a duplicate part--3 days later the service company contacted me to schedule a service appointment. The new ignitor has since been installed but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test the broiler

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

junky...your kitchen sounds lovely. Personally I am not sure about red (well a bright red anywho) with Tuscan yellow, but that said, Bluestar gives you heaps of options within the red, orange and yellow tones. Since you are spoilt for choice it makes sense to get a look at the RAL color fan deck with all the available colors, preferably in your space. I bet you would find one you love that would work really well with your color scheme & design plan.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

junky - redrange (just like you) out on FKB has a ruby red BlueStar with yellow cabinets. It is not what you are doing but it might give you another photo of the BlueStar to consider. It is a very hard decision but I wonder how much it costs if you change your mind down the road. Could they swap out the door? I know it wouldn't be cheap but it would not be $4k.

buffalotina - I have found it really hard to select a color even though they have 190 choices. I never thought I would have that problem. I will probably have creamy yellow cabinets and I am a little stumped.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Well I must say I do love that red, yellow & blue combination. Very chipper. But, what the heck is that "backsplash" behind the range - it certainly does not look like a fireproof material. Looks very dangerous IMHO.

junky: I think the right red with the right yellow would be excellent.

odiegirl: - I love blue and I was determined to have a blue range. With the fan deck it was not hard for me to decide on which blue, taking into account my cabinets (also a creamy yellow!) and the general vibe of my kitchen design.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Can you tell me what you picked buffalotina? Who knew selecting a range would be one of my hardest decisions.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

I'm at risk of hijacking this thread and dragging it way off topic so I'll email you separately :)

• junky22
    14 years ago

I'm buying my Bluestar tomorrow and decided to go with stainless instead of the red I was leaning toward. Didn't want to "tire" of the color someday. Going to do a nice tile backsplash that has lemons painted on it (not custom...found a great company that has them at a great price for this weekend only.
    I said earlier that I wanted to buy it from Trevor since the videos on his website really helped me make the decision, BUT, the local store has an amazing price on it.
    For anyone in the Seattle area -- this weekend Albert Lee is having a warehouse sale and all locations are carrying the 30" Bluestar for (drum roll, please) $2,799!!! Unbelievable!! If you go to the Bellevue store ask for Lindsey. She is great! She knew I was going to buy the Bluestar and called me at home today to let me know ahead of time about the price for this weekend only. And this is NOT a scratch and dent, but a brand new, made to order Bluestar. I'm JAZZED!

• jn99
    14 years ago

Wow, and I thought the previous deal was good! Is that for the RNB model? Thanks for posting this. Our 30" RNB is already on order from AL (in fact it's in the warehouse awating delivery next week!) but hopefully they will adjust the price for me. Of course, my salesperson did not call me but then again neither did Lindsey when we were shopping and she was supposed to be following up, which is why she didn't get the sale in the end...

• junky22
    14 years ago

Yes, its the RNB (ok...I'm assuming it is). I'm going to call Lindsey shortly and I'll definitely make sure it is. Too bad Lindsey didn't follow up with you! Her loss.

Have fun with your range! I'm really looking forward to it. I feel like I'm a kid getting the best toy on the block!

• PRO
    14 years ago

If its the RNB304BSS I will fly over and buy 50 units today

• fall
    14 years ago

Must be RCS which runs around $3K (+/-)

• junky22
    14 years ago

Better not be RCS. I will feel tricked! Didn't get a hold of my salesperson today, just exchanged voice messages. Will update tomorrow.

• junky22
    14 years ago

OK, Here's the scoop... it IS the RNB 304BSS!! Brand new! The sale is on only until the end of today, but if you want, I "think" you can purchase it over the phone. Here's the phone number for Albert Lee Appliances: (425) 451-1110 and Lindsey's extension is 1615.

Trevor, I'm SO SORRY I'm not buying it from you. You have been such a help and an invaluable source of info for the Bluestar! But I just can't pass up this price right here in my own town.

• fall
    14 years ago

That is a deal then, I believe the RCS is around $3K and the RNB is about a grand more, no? I have an RCS and just starting using it during the last couple of days. Too early to comment, but the quality is questionable on the build, and it is not the greatest looking range I have seen for the money. And for a brand new stove, I have a simmer burner not working correctly.

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

curious....

Trish

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

They are major marked up to begin with, like all pro look ranges. Big margins.

• jn99
    14 years ago

junky22 - thanks for the tip! I was able to reorder and save a substantial amount thanks to you.

Trevor - Hope you were able to get your 50 units ;-)

• PRO
    14 years ago

Pete p ny....Bluestar ranges and cooktops are not marked up with big margins they have the same margins every other appliance has.

jn99....If it wasn't for the fact I would be feeding the foolish distributor that service Albert Lee I would have.

• junky22
    14 years ago

jn99 - Yea! Glad I could help!! Can't wait to get my range!

• tom_p_pa
    14 years ago

Not a big margin for the retailer...but for Bluestar. Like all high end things, they bring in big margins. The run of the mill stuff is volume and small margins. Just the fact this appliance store can mark down the RNB $1000 and people are still making money...?? How much do you think Bluestar costs to make these? I am actually surprised they sold at such a discount, I guess Bluestar allows this? Usually these companies have tight controls over the retailers pricing.

• jakkom
    14 years ago

>>They are major marked up to begin with, like all pro look ranges. Big margins. >>

Welcome to retailing! No, seriously...everything you buy, pretty much, is hugely marked up as it passes from raw commodity to processor to warehouse to distributor to store. Buy a $800 cashmere suitjacket and you're getting less than $100 of fabric there. As an amateur seamstress I cringe when I see $40+ baby clothes, knowing there's about 50 cents worth of fabric, at most. But you know, it isn't worth my time to sew baby clothes, any more than it's worth it for you to farm goats and spin their wool into sweaters.

Grudging manufacturers their profit margins, when so many people are fixated on the Wal-Mart model of constantly declining prices that has driven so many other retailers out of business, is pointless.