Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janealexa_gw

Research/savings on (mostly Kenmore) appliances:)

janealexa
12 years ago

I just wanted to share my appliance research with you. I had to buy all new kitchen appliances as well as a washer/dryer set so I wanted to make sure I was getting the best deals.

Kenmore makes nothing of their own. They change their contracts every few years. Basically Kenmore is a brand sold exclusively by Sears but is made by other companies. They are however made to Kenmore's certain specifications. For example, currently the Kenmore Elite ovens are made by Electrolux and the Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerators are made by LG. So when someone says "I don't like Kenmore applicances," they really should know that Kenmore really is not its own brand.

When I started my appliance research, I went through my Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2011. I narrowed down my choices then cross checked these choices with consumer reviews. A great consumer review website is www.viewpoints.com. As far as Kenmore reviews, I could only find those on Sears.com since they are only sold at Sears. I did most of my research up front and on the phone with a Sears salesperson before even stepping inside the store.

I ended up going with mostly Kenmore appliances since at the time Kenmore appliances were 30% off (& most other brands at Sears were 15% off). I went with appliances that I really liked and were highly rated by Consumer reports AND by consumers themselves. Sears also price matches, see here for Sears price match policy http://www.sears.com/shc/s/nb_10153_12605_NB_pricematchPopup

Unfortunately the price match policy only works for non-Kenmore appliances since Kenmore is sold exclusively at Sears. However, Sears just changed their Price Guarantee to 60 days, so if any of my appliances decrease lower than what I paid for it, I can get a price adjustment (only 1 price adjustment per item). I had all of my items in a Sears shopping cart online (cart can be saved for 30 days) so I easily checked prices regularly. The WP refrigerator eventually went on sale and I was able to get a price adjustment over the phone, the salesperson just credited my credit card!

So here's the savings summary:

1. I was able to save on sales tax. Since I'm building a new house, my contractor provided me with his tax ID# so this purchase was tax exempt. HUGE savings!

2. I got a price match on 1 Whirlpool item (they actually matched a rebate that I was offered at another store).

3. I got 30% off all of my Kenmore appliances, plus an extra savings on my washer/dryer (promotion for when you buy a set).

4. I got 15% off my Whirlpool refrigerator. Later I got a $240 price adjustment!

5. I was able to negotiate some extra savings like free delivery and some accessories.

6. I signed up for Sears Shop your Rewards Program - free program to get points for purchases. This purchase qualified me for about $90 in Sears credit.

7. I used a credit card with 1% cash back

End result: over $4500 in savings for all stainless steel appliances! What a deal :)

Comments (3)