Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annes_arbor

seasoning grates on a Bertazzoni?

annes_arbor
15 years ago

Has anyone seasoned the grates or do they clean up ok as is?

And, by the way, how do you clean them? I can't seem to find any information in the owner's manual about the grates.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

I am assuming they are cast iron? If so no seasoning should not be needed. I just use 409 on mine and wipe them with paper towels or a nylon covered dish sponge if something is dried on. You can use a stiff bristled toothbrush to get at any hard to reach areas If they are cast iron you can put them in the dishwasher,just be sure and dry them well.

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, they are cast iron, but somehow they seem so "raw" looking compared to grates on other stoves I have owned. Perhaps my prior grates were painted or had some other coating on them. Just asked because I didn't see anything in the manual, and I didn't want to ruin the stove in the first week after installation :)

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

I have a new American Range with cast iron grates. My dealer, Josh at Dvorson's, recommended seasoning them just like a fry pan - oil & baking in the oven. It gets a shiny black finish & is then very easy to clean according to him. I haven't tried it yet.

• velodoug
    15 years ago

We're letting the cast iron grates on our BlueStar season naturally. When one gets dirty enough to be annoying, I scrub it under running hot water with a stiff vegetable brush with no soap or detergent, dry it and put it back in place. They are gradually developing the sheen you see on a well seasoned cast iron frying pan. But they have a matte porcelain finish. I don't know if the same thing would work on the Bertazzoni grates.

• zoenipp
    15 years ago

I run my Wolf cast-iron grates through the DW when they start looking rough and they come out looking like new.

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

I just had my American Range checked & the service man suggested spraying the cast iron grates with Pam cooking oil to season & make them easier to clean. I am going to try it.

• ya_think
    15 years ago

Pam?! If there is any analogy between your grates and a cast iron skillet then Pam is the last thing I would use. Crisco would be the first. Vegetable oils would come second. Pam (and similar products) can leave a nasty, sticky residue. Don't get me wrong, Pam has its place in my kitchen, but certainly not around cast iron.

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

Thank you! I was just about to proceed with the Pam, but luckily didn't.

• mattias
    15 years ago

I bought by Bertazzoni in Sweden and after a few months one of my cast-iron grates got slightly deformed. It is hard to tell by the eye but when I put a skillet on the grate it does not stand steady. Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

No, but I have found their customer service to be phenomenal. Try emailing them, in Italy, with your problem. I contacted them enquire whether the drop-in cooktop I'd ordered included the simmer ring, as the website wasn't clear and my dealer didn't know either. (It turns out, it does). But they immediately asked me for my address, and shipped me another one via DHL, free of charge.