Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soibean

Range insert/liner decision - Zephyr Monsoon or Modern-Aire?

soibean
11 years ago

I'm down to the final decisions on my kitchen and I am trying to select a hood insert/liner. I will have a 36" Thermador induction cooktop, so I don't think I'll need the really high CFMs that the gas rangetops require. I generally don't cook on high, or on more than a couple of hobs at a time.

My main selection criterion at this point is the noise level. Zephyr advertises their DCBL system, which is supposed to be very quiet on the lower settings (.8 Sones), where I will normally be using it. Modern-Aire is probably not as quiet in that range.

Here is my dilemma. The center of my hood is right against a steel beam, so in order to duct to the outside, I would need to have two turns in the duct - one to the left to get around the beam, then another toward the outside wall. My understanding is that these turns will add noise. With the Modern-Aire, I could custom order a hood with the duct build on the left side, so I would be able to avoid one of the turns in the duct. I'm trying to figure out which one would be quieter. Any thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner