Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range insert/liner decision - Zephyr Monsoon or Modern-Aire?

Posted by soibean (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 19:02

I'm down to the final decisions on my kitchen and I am trying to select a hood insert/liner. I will have a 36" Thermador induction cooktop, so I don't think I'll need the really high CFMs that the gas rangetops require. I generally don't cook on high, or on more than a couple of hobs at a time.

My main selection criterion at this point is the noise level. Zephyr advertises their DCBL system, which is supposed to be very quiet on the lower settings (.8 Sones), where I will normally be using it. Modern-Aire is probably not as quiet in that range.

Here is my dilemma. The center of my hood is right against a steel beam, so in order to duct to the outside, I would need to have two turns in the duct - one to the left to get around the beam, then another toward the outside wall. My understanding is that these turns will add noise. With the Modern-Aire, I could custom order a hood with the duct build on the left side, so I would be able to avoid one of the turns in the duct. I'm trying to figure out which one would be quieter. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range insert/liner decision - Zephyr Monsoon or Modern-Aire?

If you get an external blower and a cheap Fantech silencer the ME will be as quiet as an effective hood can be.

The external blowers ME uses, the Abakka,is famous for how quietly it operates.Plus one less turn....

Here is a link that might be useful: Fantech Silencers

o

Based on what I've read, I don't think I can add a silencer or an inline fan because the whole duct run will be just 3-5 feet long at most, even if we ran it to the roof (single story addition with hip roof). And if the external blower is just a few feet from the hood, my understanding was that the noise level would be similar to that of an internal blower. Is that correct? I don't claim to understand any of this very well. Thanks.

o

Flow rate (cfm) depends on the aperture area of the hood having enough air velocity to contain the rising effluent. It is not particularly dependent on whether gas or induction is used. Further, except for the need to remove gas combustion byproducts, the rising effluent from cooking on gas or cooking on induction will be the same for the a given cooked food. Pro style gas ranges, however, often provide grills that can generate greasy smoke at higher levels than pan fried fare on induction is likely to do, barring walking away and forgetting that the setting is too high.

A given fan at the end of a short duct run will probably be equally loud as the same fan in the hood, but roof mounted fans can be larger than ones sized for the hood and can be run at lower speeds for the same cfm, reducing blade tip turbulence noise. Turbulence noise induced by a duct turn or two will probably be less than the hiss of the air through the hood filter baffles.

kas

o

I haven't heard the Modern-Aire unit before but I have heard the Zephyr Monsoon in a showroom and it is really quiet. Looking at each unit the Monsoon seems to be more feature-rich if that stuff matters to you (LED lighting, remote control).

It also looks like Monsoon can vent out the back which might be helpful if you can't go straight up. Or to limit noise you could just increase the size of your ducting, I've had to do that before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here