Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamermaid_gw

How Hot is Too Hot for Range Oven Exterior?

lamermaid
13 years ago

Does anyone know how hot the exterior sides of a range oven should get before it is unsafe or damaging to cupboards beside it.

Comments (9)

• jakvis
    13 years ago

It depends on the surface but here is some information I got regarding several years ago for UL allowed temperatures based on code ANSI/UL 858 and ANSI Z21.1 which all manufactures have to abide by. This is performed with a special momentary touch test sensor that I purchased for these type tests.
    Surfaces
    Plastic 182F
    Glass or ceramic 172F
    Porcelain 160F
    Painted or bare metal 152F

Handles and Knobs
    Plastic 167F
    Glass 149F
    Painted or bare metal 131F

When buying cabinets you have to check with the cabinet manufacturer on the heat grade of the cabinets. Some cabinets require heat shields to be installed when they are used next to a range, cooktop, or oven.

• lamermaid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks jakvis for the info. since my granite has not been installed yet- last evening i disassembled my cupboard from the wall that is beside my range, went out and purchased an infrared point and shoot thermometer -- the temp on the exterior sides ranged from 145 degrees to 240 degrees farenheit which is way hot. i can not imagine that being good for the custom painted cabinetry installed beside the range- the temperature on the outside of the wood cabinetry was extremely hot also- the inside of the cabinet was ok, however towards the exterior of the front side of the range was the highest heat and that's where the custom drawer-fronts are. i even had heatshields applied to the cabinetry but they are pretty useless since they are just 1 inch metal strips that also got extremely hot. ugh, i'm hoping someone knows of a way to rectify this problem. thanks again for all the help.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Is this a new range?
    Call the manufacturer and ask exactly how hot it should be getting. 240 seems really high and might be hot enough to start a fire!

• jakvis
    13 years ago

The infrared temperature tester you purchased is not suited for this type of UL test. In the information I have it mentions that if sensors are taped to the surface the reading will be higher. The infrared tester gives a reading that is more like taping a thermocouple to the surface.
    The momentary tester just extends, touches the surface and then retracts.
    However you should call for service. I see you've basically posted the same question twice and this is also the recommendation of some other posters.
    Calling for service is the only way you are going to know if the temps are normal or not.

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Bluestar needs to have someone examine your range, actually LOOK at the oven burner in operation, check insulation and sealing, check gas pressure, burner orifice, and properly measure the temp of the exterior. That range is designed for zero clearance with adjoining cabinetry.

If they hem and haw about it tell them that if they don't come out and fix it you are going to have the gas company come out and check it out. If the gas company red tags your range, that will pretty much blow any claim of merchantability from either the dealer or Bluestar.

• segesta
    13 years ago

I just called Kraftmaid, who made my maple cabinets. For their wood cabinets, they are tested to withstand 120 degrees. Sounds pretty low/cool if you ask me...

Alan

• lamermaid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

so far, we have been told these temperatures are within range. we have not used our oven.

• sayde
    13 years ago

I was told by an appliance sales person and also read the same thing here -- the temperature must be 180 degrees F or below. If yours is higher than that you have every right to expect Blue Star to do something about it and I would think they would want to address it . . .