Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irishterri

How do you clean your Wolf cast iron grates?

irishterri
15 years ago

Does anyone have a secret to cleaning the black grates for your Wolf range? Someone suggested taking them outside, spraying them with ammonia and water, and then sealing in a black trash bag for a couple of hours. Has anyone heard of this? Please help. Terri

Comments (32)

• sayde
    15 years ago

Is it a bad idea to put the grates in the dishwasher? What about the pans?

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I've never put either in my DW, so couldn't say. I know some here have put the grates from different ranges in their DW's without problems, some have reported rust on the grates. For me, IMHO, it would be more of a hassle to wait for a time when there's enough space in the DW in order to fill it up with range parts. Also, I'd be too afraid of ending up with nicked DW racks and bent plate holders (with my luck). Again, plenty of people here use the DW to clean their grates without a problem, it's just not something I do.

I have cleaned my hood filters (mesh) in the DW, becuase those are a pita to clean well by hand (inside the mesh). They did leave a bunch of grit in the tracks/rack glides, but one empty load/cycle later (I think I threw in some vinegar for good measure), it was fine.

• zoenipp
    15 years ago

FWIW, my Wolf grates have been through the DW at least 10 different times with no damage to the grates or DW interior. I use heated dry. The grates do take up a lot of room but I just run them through when the DW's not too full of other dishes. I use heated dry and have never had any rust. I think the Wolf manual does not recommend using the DW but, as I said, I've done it numerous times with no ill effects and the grates come out looking like new. If you have any burnt-on grease that won't come off, you can spray Dawn Power Dissolver (available at some grocery stores) on the grates beforehand.

• u_siddiqee_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I LOVE my Wolf range, however I am having the most difficult time keeping the black porcelain burner pans clean. I have followed the instructions in the manual - I've used warm soapy water with a scrub sponge; I have even tried some water and baking soda paste, nothing seems to be effective in removing the greasy blotches that have appeared on it from cooking. The burner pans have a tired, dull and a worn out look, and we bought this range only about six months ago! PLEASE ADVISE. Thank you.

• cavu
    15 years ago

Bar Keeper's Friend is your friend. I've used it sparingly on a wet rag like the directions say and it works great on the Wolf burner pans.

Cavu

• josie724
    15 years ago

irishterri, yes barkeeper's friend is your friend. It really works well. I had an issue with my drip pans as well, it looks like they started to pit. I called Wolf and they replaced them. The service tech let me keep the pitted set, and I use those while cooking and put out the new ones for "show". The tech told me I can put the drip pans in the dw as long as I took them out immediately and dried them.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the enamel pans. I also use it on my grates occasionally. I have a Monagram, not a Wolf, however.

• josie724
    15 years ago

DO NOT USE MAGIC ERASER on the black drip pans it will scratch them.

• grannysmith18
    15 years ago

Am I missing burner pans? I have the Wolf 36 inch cooktop (not range top or range) and all I have is the stainless steel "floor", which is the cooktop itself, and then the heavy black grates.

• josie724
    15 years ago

No helo you are not missing the drip pans. Yours is a drop in CT 36G/S. We are referring to the 36 free standing range which has the drip pans.

• orangedaisy52
    15 years ago

umm okay I have kitchen aid cast iron grates...but cast iron is cast iron right? Really these are meant to season up like a cast iron frypan. I use a dry scrubby to brush off any blobs, but I never clean them beyond that. They've turned smooth black and shiny over the last five years. Most stuff burns off right away and the thin film of oil becomes seasoned.

As for enamel...have nooo advice there. I especially hate the lighter colored enamel..it always just looks dirty because the stains really bond on. I'm so much happier with cast iron. My top is stainless and that releases much better than enamel. Best of luck!

Anne

• markw
    15 years ago

Anne, your KA grates are cast iron inside but are painted ("porcelainized" is the term KA prefers) with black enamel. Actual raw cast iron grates are rare, if not unknown. Since the the surface is enamel, they don't require seasoning like a cast iron pan.

• sleepydrj
    15 years ago

The grates on my Wolf range never look too dirty. For the charbroiler in the center, I use a barbeque pumice stone after grilling, along with hot water and dish soap. This works perfectly.

• monasid
    15 years ago

Thanks Cavu, really appreciate the tip. One more question: I checked Bar Keeper's Friend online and found quite a few products on their website. Which of those should I buy to clean the black porcelain burner pans? Thanks a lot. Mona.

• djlandkpl
    15 years ago

I use oven cleaner (Easy Off yellow can) on the grates and black porcelain plates. I let them soak for 15-20 minutes then wash with soap and water. They come out looking new without a lot of effort.

• cavu
    15 years ago

Monasid, the Bar Keeper's Friend that I use on the black burner pans is Cleanser & Polish. It says it's got "mild abrasives" so follow the directions on the label and use a very wet rag to put it on. I kind of mash it into a paste on the rag and then apply it.

It's in a goldish container. You can get it at your grocery store.

• jlschmitz
    15 years ago

I see some posts here about taking out the drip pan to clean it - I didn't realize it came out and can't find any instructions on the Wolf website. Can someone help describe the process of removing the drip pan? Do I need to unscrew the burners?
    Thanks!

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Do you have sealed or semi-sealed/open burners?

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

If you have a closed burner cooktop or rangetop, you don't have a drip pan.

The drip pan is a stainless steel pull out tray located on the front of the range/ rangetop below the burners & below the burner knobs. It just slides out.

I believe than all Wolf cooktops are sealed burner and that all Wolf ranges are open burner. Wolf rangetops are available with either open or sealed burners.

• capecodcook
    15 years ago

Wolf all gas ranges are open burner and their dual fuel ranges are sealed burners. Rangetops are avialable either way as of this year.

• jlschmitz
    15 years ago

OK thanks a lot, I was getting confused by the terminology then because I must have the sealed version and no drip pan to remove.
    Thanks!

• kkcooks
    15 years ago

We have the wolf 36" open burner range top with charbroiler. I had a Wolf repairman out for an oven problem--he said that the best way to clean the black enamel burner pan is (as djlankpl said) to use Easy-Off non-fume oven cleaner.

For regular cleaning I usually use a non-abrasive scrubber with soapy water and finish with a microfiber cloth. I have also developed a tolerance for a less-than-perfect look. I rarely clean the grates as they sort of self-clean with enough heat.

• dcvoigt
    15 years ago

Does anyone know if you can put the cast iron grates from a GE range in the oven during the self cleaning of the oven. I know GE says not to but am wondering what would happen.

Also which do you find easier to keep clean and how, the cast iron black/grey grates or the smoother ones with the porcelain/enamel on the grates?

Thanks, Cindy

• drtom77
    15 years ago

Here's an idea: Don't clean them. Instead, why not "season" them as you would a cast-iron pan? Apply some oil, then bake it on. In no time you should have a nice black coating which can be easily wiped clean. Has anyone tried this?

• radiationron
    11 years ago

Hi, I went and bought a 2nd set to use when we have guests come over. After what we paid for the stove , it really works for us. I got the Black bases for 60.00 each

• Nancycam2450
    11 years ago

I use a razor blade to carefully scrape off anything that won't come off with regular cleaning. Dull spots won't come off the black base, but can be polished to look new with a drop of oil on a paper towel. In fact, I use oil on a towel to rub the stainless steel too, covering up water spots.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"why not "season" them as you would a cast-iron pan?"

Cast iron pans do not have a porcelain coating like most stove parts.

Just use oven cleaner (lye).

• baumgari
    9 years ago

I put the grates in the dishwasher on the short cycle when they get bad enough. That does a pretty good job.

• jmumpower4015
    7 years ago

Help! We moved into a house that has a Wolf range. Tonight, I planned on grilling some steaks. I wiped off the grill grate with hot water and paper towels. However, when I lifted the grate to check underneath, I found a lot of black and grease build up. Gross:(! How can I get this clean?

• Ira Stuckey
    6 years ago

I have done all the soapy cleaning of grates but still have grease spots on them. How do it get them to be black again?

• ci_lantro
    6 years ago

Try burning the grease off by laying a loose grate upside down on top of a burner and firing up the burner. Or run them thru a cleaning cycle if you have a self cleaning oven.

I run my Wolf grates thru the dishwasher every few months but I don't cook a whole lot and don't let them get very grubby before putting them in the DW.