Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoshanadh

Broken 24' Fagor Refrigerator

shoshanadh
14 years ago

I've had my Fagor for about 16 months. On Thursday, I opened the door and when I shut it, it started sputtering and throwing sparks from the instrument panel and the plastic trim melted. I tripped the circuit breaker to turn off the power, then unplugged the unit. Now it isn't working. I have an extended warranty (which I got because the brand is still relatively new in the US), but now I don't know how long it will take to get the unit repaired/replaced. The warranty is with GE and they tell me there have to search for a service center and that I won't hear from them about an appointment for 48 hours (2 business days) from making the service call. Anyone else have such an experience?

Comments (14)

• User
    14 years ago

You're the first around here. Please keep the group posted on your situation.

I'm betting you are in for some fun as there are not too many techs trained on those units. The better news is that fridges are fairly strait forward , so if you can find a tech that's willing to do some research for parts and Fagor specific schems. and can think on his feet you should be OK. The problem will be that those guys charge a nice fee and GE will be looking to spend the least ammt. possible to make you go away.

• joycedc
    14 years ago

Shoshanadh: I have the same refrigerator and have not had any problems(yet). I'm on the east coast, and my contact has always been via the Signature Marketing Group in NJ. A woman named Lisa. She might be able to help. The toll free number is 800 385-8886. Hope this helps.

• joycedc
    14 years ago

Edited to add the number is 800 358-8886. Dyslexia strikes early on Monday. Sorry.

• shoshanadh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all. The warranty provider (GE) has turned it over to their service locator, which they say is "like a black box," though I should hear from someone by the end of the day. Joycedc, thanks. I called the number and they gave me the Fagor svc. number. I'm going to call them as well just to find out where their service people are. This is so frustrating. I know I'll need a new unit, I just had an electrician here who tested the outlet and there's no problem there. I may end up having to buy one of those mini refrigerators just so we can have some food on hand. Very frustrating. I had heard good things about this brand but now I'm hearing that it's no longer uncommon for refrigerators to fail w/in a short time unlike the units of old that lasted for 30 years.

• joycedc
    14 years ago

So your outlet is ok? Was there a power surge or lightning storm which fried the circuitry? What a pain in the...neck.

• joycedc
    14 years ago

Any updates?

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

Fagor's direct number in New Jersey is 201-804-3900

• shoshanadh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's what happened: I had a really hard time getting the extended warranty holder (GE)to respond so I called Fagor directly and they were great. I got the replacement refrigerator last Wednesday and so far so good. As it turned out, the warranty service inspector took a look at the unit just before the new one was to be delivered and found that the entire control board had shorted out so I'm going to assume that there was some communication between and Fagor and GE about approving the new refrigerator. I probably have to do something to make sure the extended warranty applies to the new fridge so I'm going to make a few phone calls. Two of the door shelves on the new unit were cracked so I switched them with the old ones. I still don't think I would get this brand again.

• joycedc
    14 years ago

I'm glad Fagor was responsive to your situation. I'm not being a smart aleck, but did you like the Fagor until it blew up? I really like mine and have had no problems.

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

Why would not get that brand again, because they did the right
    thing and took care of you, because GE was inept.

• sharbinson_earthlink_net
    12 years ago

The has been a recall notice issued regarding a fire hazard for some of these refrigerators. See the link to the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fagor Recall

• nyc_gal
    12 years ago

I'm digging up this old post because I would like to know if I should even consider Fagor 24" fridge today. Can I assume the product they sold today already had the fix? I have to get 24" fridge because of space, and the GE one I like is discontinued. LG is too flimsy and Libherr is over my budget.

• poopsielou
    9 years ago

This is year 2014. I am looking at a lot of old files here about Fagor 24" models. I have a 24" that has a 1 year warranty. At month 17 it broke down. The long story of how Fagor and my appliance retailer have responded is too long. In a nutshell Fagor says that they take no responsibility for the breakdown which incidentally like the above complainant is about the control board. I am in NYC but the service is slow and it took two weeks for the repair service to come with a new part which did not fix the fridge. I have now lodged another complaint with Fagor andI am waiting for a response. I have been informed that there have been callbacks on this model but I cannot find the information about it. I will post again if I get any further responses.

• lee676
    9 years ago

That's likely because Fagor went bankrupt half a year ago. Their parent company (a worker co-op) is still very much in business, and two companies are considering buying at least some of Fagor's assets, but things are in limbo at the moment. Their American importer still looks like they're open for business, albeit with a reduced selection of appliances.