Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ftm_1

GE electric dryer overheating, shutting down

ftm_1
11 years ago

I have a GE Electric clothes dryer, model DX4500EGOWW. About 4-5 years old.

My problem started out a few months ago, as clothes taking longer than normal to dry, then progressed to overheating, thermal breaker shutting it down. This was on high heat settings, had to resort to running medium heat long, long drying time. I have checked and re-checked, my duct work. Its open, took the dryer apart for inspection and thorough lint cleaning, went ahead and replaced the heating elements and metal element retainers, good thing, they were brittle from being overheated, broke like potato chips. So put it all back together, same thing.

Then kept experimenting, the dryer will run on high heat/normal cotton setting, only with the duct venting straight from the rear of the dryer, hook the duct work up, it will shut down in 5 minutes. This metal duct work has served 3 dryers and 32 years of use. I could fire a cannon ball though the duct work, flipper is opening all the way on the door out side the house, it is clean as well.

Sorry for the book, just trying to get all the details on here.

Could my drive motor be failing and not spinning enough RPM to flow the air through the system and on out the duct work? I did not see any oil slinging, and its still quiet. All ideas welcome.

Comments (7)