Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Custom external blower with a cylinder hood?

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 17:50

I really need someone to enlighten me about hoods.

B/c of the "architecture" of my kitchen, I cannot get a "ready" commercial hood (unless installer #5 will tell me otherwise).

I was told to get a motor and install two in-line vents, connected in something like an inverted "Y" fashion (I forgot the technical term for it). But they will be 6 ft above the cooking surface. Also, they told me I could only get total 450-600 cfm from both vents combined, which is clearly not enough for a vent that is so high above the cooktop.

The problem is that the opening for the vent we have now, is not centered in relation to the cooktop b/c of a joist in the ceiling. Also, there is a brick cove around the cooking area and I cannot do much about moving the cooktop. The distance from the front wall to the back wall of the cove is ~15" and the distance from the center of the vent opening to the left wall is about ~8", so attempts to find a commercial hood have proven hopeless - so far.

Now, I have read here that external blowers are quieter than internal ones.

That brings my question. Would it be possible to use an external blower with a cylinder "tube" hood, similar to Faber Cylindra hoods? Does anyone sell "small-footprint" hoods w/o a motor? What kind of filer do I need?

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Faber hood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Custom external blower with a cylinder hood?

How about a picture. Usually a hood works efficiently when the collection portion extends beyond the dimension of the cooking surface. Of course sometimes the most is unavailable and the choice is the best for the circumstances.

o

Capture area is more important than CFMs. You aren't going to make up for a lack of capture area with a jet engine sucking out air. All you are going to do is add noise.

o

Yes, this is what I thought!

Do those cylindrical hoods work?

If I can fit them, I can try putting two Faber Cylindra hoods but each one is $1900 and (sort of) beyond my current budget.

I have talked to many folks at kitchen design/appliance stores as well as paid an electrician for a consultation and nobody knew of a hood that could fit in that area.

I'll try to post pix later today.

But if anyone knows of a less expensive cylinder or square hood, please let me know! An installer will be here in two hours for a consultation and I need to show him some pix.

TX!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here