Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thew60

slide in electric range...decision?!?!?

thew60
10 years ago

I am getting new stainless steel appliances for my kitchen.
I have decided on LG fridge and DW. Unfortunately whats good for the goose is not food for the gander.
LG does not make a slide in electric, only a freestanding.

Exhaustive reviews on Consumer Reports, web sites and shopping lead to ,more confusion.

I am looking for opinions an consensus and to what is RELIABLE and functional for the slide in electric ranges.

Samsung just came out with 2 beautiful slide ins but they are so new that I afraid to go with them.

GE? Kitchen Aid? Kenmore Elite?? Confused.

Thanks for any contributions in advance!!

Comments (6)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

The GE Induction slide in would be my recommendation. Induction is far superior to standard radiant cooking, and the GE presents less issues with fitting into cabinets than the Electrolux slide in does. If you don't want induction, just pick something pretty to you. That's about the only difference between what's left other than the convection vs. standard oven decision.

• thew60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been doing research for a while tonight and the only common denominator is the overall bad reviews for almost ALL of the slide ins with complaints of noise from the fans and other assorted issues. I think most of the people who bother to leave reviews are the angry ones who need to vent their frustrations.
    Convections are always going to be noisier due to the fans.

Anyone else??

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Definitely worth considering burner size, both wattage and dimensions. For example my new Bosch is technically more powerful than my old Frigidaire but that power can't be delivered to an 8 qt tall stockpot because the pot is only wide enough for two rings. So I either need a larger diameter pot or will have to put up with roughly 50% longer boil times than I'm accustomed to. On the other extreme, I just spent a week with a (discontinued) Kitchenaid that didn't have one burner large enough to be suitable for a 12" skillet.

Speaking of that Kitchenaid, if you haven't used touch controls I recommend trying them out before committing to them. I thought it would just be a learning curve but at the end of the week, having used them several times daily, I can say I hate them.

The venting on my new range is audible but not objectionable. Probably about as loud as a quieter fridge. It does seem to throw more heat into the kitchen though. I went through 3 wall ovens before getting this range, and none of them ever stopped me from high heat roasting in the summer. I don't know if that issue is common to slide-in ranges, but it's another disappointment.

Although I haven't used my range much, my initial impression is that simmer control is inferior to my old cooktop, as is evenness of heat. All electric is NOT created equally.

I'd look at consumer reports. People might not like their testing methods but it's something at least. Probably better than the subjective comments you'll read here. They don't seem to have tested my Bosch, but it would be interesting to see how they would have rated it.

I bought the Bosch having done zero research as I was more interested in having a brand name in this house which I'll likely sell in the near future. Even that decision may have been flawed because the SS is entirely different than that of my 800 series washer.

I'd second GD's recommendation to at least consider induction. Prices are coming down and by all accounts performance is infinitely superior. I'd have gone that route if I was planning to stay.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

>Samsung just came out with 2 beautiful slide ins but they are so new that I afraid to go with them.

If you're still thinking about these, reviewed.com just posted their thoughts on the single-oven model:

Here is a link that might be useful: samsung slide-in review

• thew60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting the link to the review. It is a great range. My trepidation is that i went to a well respected family owned appliance place near me. The salesman told me Samsung make good appliances...ranges, refrigerators etc.
    Problem is God help you if you need warranty service. Long waits for service calls and then they make you wait for parts and again for the repair. Sounds like a gamble.

GE has just released their new Profile line, which has always had generally favorable reviews. There is a new slide in electric, the PS920SFSS, just went into manufacture on 10/1/13. Being made in Louisville KY, US of A.

I am waiting for my local place to get it in and that will be my choice if my boss (wife) likes it. Not cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for. (??)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

That's a nice looking range, but that's a heck of a lot of money for not including induction.