Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallycat

Canister vacuum recs?

wallycat
11 years ago

I have read through all the posts, but still not really sure.

I have the shark navigator upright and am going to try to return it. The hose plastic keeps cracking.

I've decided to go with a canister. I do not mind bagless, but yes, I have pet allergies and do have 3 cats (no comments please).

Most of my house is either laminate flooring or tile and one room with low pile carpeting. A few area rugs and one oriental rug.

I've seen some of the Miele canisters for 299....would that be too bottom of the line for my needs?

Any thoughts are gratefully welcome.

I do have a Miele stick and like it, but it is hard to get under stuff and the bag is really small for this house size (plus YIKES on the cost of those bags!)

Comments (10)

• wekick
    11 years ago

I think bags have become a revenu stream and in the bagless vacuums you have to buy filters. I have a Simplicity Jill and I buy the Hepa bags but they are not huge. I might buy a Miele but my husband is too hard on them. This one has held up really well though. I have a friend who has a small shopvac made for floors and likes it.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

I don't have to buy filters for my Hoover bagless.

You turn them inside the vac using knob on vacuum and the dirt comes off.

I suppose if you are hyper allergy sensitive you may want new filters to capture that extra bit of allergens but my filter is 10 years old and works fine.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

The thing about Miele vacuums is that they are the same within model numbers. What varies is features and price. I have the Capricorn because I wanted the controls on the handle (rather than on the canister) and the big powerhead. But you can get the same suction power for less with a unit without all of that.

I also like their upright, the S7, though I've heard it is a bit heavy. But once again the difference in price is for features, not performance.

When I was looking I stumbled onto a website that compared vacuums for allergy folks. You might look around for that since they had good testing.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I had a 10 y/o Hoover WindTunnel canister that had fallen apart over the years. The kiss of death was when the wand would not stay in the handle. Grrr.... Otherwise, it had great suction, but I was done with disposable vacs.

After reading good reviews everywhere on the Internet, I bought Miele vacs a couple years ago and have no regrets. The bags are really expensive, but I have horrible dust allergies and it's worth it. Our housekeeper says my Miele vacs are her favorites, of all the homes at which she works.

The more expensive vac (Gemini) has the attachments "under the hood" and the less expensive one (Delphi) has them mounted on top of the hood. Having used both, I prefer the one with the attachments under the hood.

The other major difference in Miele price points is the wand. Some have the 'electric' feature for the optional carpet head.

Miele's web site lists the features of each vac.

• wallycat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all.
    Has anyone tried the new LG Kompressor? or the Electrolux?
    LG is close in price to Miele but Electrolux is more reasonable...
    anyone?
    appreciate the feedback.

• cj47
    11 years ago

I've had a Miele Platinum (300 series) for 16 years, and it shows no sign of giving up the ghost, no cracked hoses, everything works just fine. It's an awesome machine.

Cj

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I have always had (and prefer) Electrolux. I now have 3 because they never wear out but I have updated over the years. I still use the old ones as extras. In between, I have bought Dyson (hate them), Hoovers, Kenmore, Shark (horrible). I also have and like a Dirt Devil canister (small) which works great on my kitchen/bathroom tile. I also use a Roomba for in-between cleaning. Wow, I think I've tried every brand except Miele.

The best of the best is Electrolux, in my opinion. I do love Rooma too.

Jane

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Take a look at this place

Here is a link that might be useful: canister vacs

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

If you buy a Miele, be sure you purchase from an authorized dealer. I read somewhere that if you do not, the warranty is invalid. Really nothing unusual with that, but be forewarned. My local Miele dealer prices were in line with amazon.com prices anyway. Besides, I prefer to support a local independent businessman whenever I can. That hopefully ensures they are there for me if I need warranty work, repair, bags, etc.

• wallycat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the information.
    Ha, don't I wish there were someone "local" here...
    I'm in nowheres-ville and the "closest" anything I have is about an hour away.
    I sure wish Costco would sell Mieles.