Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Samsung Fridge repair issues?

Posted by elizamamma (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 17:28

Hi all,
First, thank you for all of the direct and indirect appliance advice. I've learned a lot over the last few months from these pages. I'm still deciding on a fridge. We'd like a counter depth french door, and I like the looks of Electrolux and Samsung. The appliance salesman tried to steer me clear of Samsung due to the difficulty of repairs. I guess there are no dedicated Samsung repair people and parts are hard to get? Can anyone comment on that, or on either of these brands for DC FD fridges?

Thanks!
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Samsung Fridge repair issues?

Five years ago when you needed Samsung parts they needed to be ordered out of New Jersey headquarters or a warehouse in Los Angeles. As the company rapidly grew in the USA and Canada this created a lot of backorders and delays.

Today things are much better. I don't know if Samsung has the same coverage as Whirlpool or Frigidaire/Electrolux and has every nook and cranny of the USA and Canada filled with regional warehouses for parts but I know that matters have improved significantly.

I have never heard of dedicated Electrolux repair people. Below is a link from Electrolux to find repair. I punch in my zip code and get a half dozed local independent shops. No dedicated Electrolux repair facility.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o

Friends of my sister had a huge ruckus with a Samsung refrigerator last July 2012. They borrowed my spare/garage KitchenAid for ten weeks while awaiting repair ... which ended being a failure after multiple attempts by the repair service so they bought a new unit.

o

JD Powers last publically available refrigerator satisfaction study was 2012.

Samsung ranked #1. Electrolux #14.

Not a random data point. Scientific data samples.

Here is a link that might be useful: JD Power

o

That's nice but it didn't help the Sullivan's situation.

o

We had a Samsung fridge in our last house that was replaced by Whirlpool. The perception about repairs being difficult is accurate. We needed repairs in 2009, 2011, and 2012. The parts always took 2+ weeks to get. Multiple appliance repair people have told us this is typical and to always by domestic appliances. The parts are easier to get, less expensive, and repairman have more experience with them. All of the appliances we've had from the whirlpool family(whirlpool, kitchen aid, Jenn Air) have served us much better.

o

We had a Samsung fridge in our last house that was replaced by Whirlpool. The perception about repairs being difficult is accurate. We needed repairs in 2009, 2011, and 2012. The parts always took 2+ weeks to get. Multiple appliance repair people have told us this is typical and to always by domestic appliances. The parts are easier to get, less expensive, and repairman have more experience with them. All of the appliances we've had from the whirlpool family(whirlpool, kitchen aid, Jenn Air) have served us much better.

o

Samsung has a fairly widespread reputation for offering trouble free good value at a good price to a high percentage of their customers. Ordinary customers in possession of a newish lemon may experience a more authentically Korean view of customer service needs and a distinct lack of happy smiling faces. And the lesson is also gradually being well learned elsewhere much closer to home.

o

I've been researching fridges - and Samsung is on our short list. However, I was told this week at Home Depot that there is not a certified training program for service techs for Samsung fridges in the state of Alaska and this can make repairs tricky.

From what I gather on-line, people really like their Samsung fridges - until and unless they have a problem wtih said fridge.

Makes it kinda dicey.

We like a lot of the features, though, including the LED lighting, the shelving, the sealed ice and the flip-up shelf. It seems odd they don't offer a CD FD model that doesn't have an ice maker, though...

o

You can still get it fixed at a good fridge repair place! There are many centers where they provide samsung fridge repair service.

Here is a link that might be useful: fridge repair

o

I refuse to buy Samsung. I doubt their quality, and I hate that they copy EVERYTHING.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here