Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odie_1

Help! Which brand is this Stainless Steel Cleaner?

odie_1
16 years ago

Please help me,

I have had my stainless appliances for three years now and have used the same cleaner for three years and never had any issues at all with streaking, fingerprints, etc. I threw the bottle away and now can't locate the brand anywhere. I bought SS Magic and it left bad, bad streaks and drip marks.

The bottle I had used before was a white spray bottle, oblong on the bottle with Silver Lettering. It did not have any other colors or pictures on it. I had thought I had bout it at home depot or Target but I can't seem to locate it there. Anyone out there know?

Thanks so much.

Comments (12)

• antss
    16 years ago

I've tried them all and prefer 'clean It' fromn Carbona. Looks like windex, is not oil based. Available at publix or wwww.carbona.com

If you like the greasy spray kind I think Thor is the best of those. It's Viking's house brand.

• evergreendan
    16 years ago

If you use an alcohol / water mix on your granite, try it on stainless. Wiping with a microfiber cloth seems to be the trick.

There is some sort of crazy art to Stainless Magic. My cleaning people can use it to get everything streek free, but it's hard for me to do so.

• john_com
    16 years ago

>>There is some sort of crazy art to Stainless Magic. My cleaning people can use it to get everything streek free, but it's hard for me to do so.

I don't like the stuff. I think you have to dance a jig during a full moon in a counterclockwise manner, then you put your left foot in..

Seriously though, I found a tad of Dawn dish detergent in soft water does as good as anything.

• ladyish2
    16 years ago

I've not tried this my self.... and I have SS appl...

I was told Baby oil, I was also told WD-40 (the smell goes away) Now I have tried the WD-40 and it worked better then most stuff I've used.

If you do find your wonderful SS cleaner, Please post I might want to give it a try too. :)

Michelle

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

White bottle with silver lettering? - sounds like it could have been a Restoration Hardware product, perhaps? I don't think they have any more of their cleaning products, however.

I've had something called "Shiela Shine" for nearly 2.5 years - comes in a tin can that I was unable to open for nearly those 2+ years so I had never used it. Well, I did finally knock it open last weekend to use, and this stuff is unbelievable. Got my SS spotlessly spotlessly clean, cleaned away all vestiges of water spots and amorphous spots that simply wiping down with a MC would not. In the 4 intervening days since I worked on my DW and oven (dont' think I did anything else as I did this at 2:00am coz I couldn't sleep) I have not gotten any marks on either. I don't know how well it will keep marks at bay but I am really quite happy with this stuff. Both our appliances look spotlessly clean and absolutely brand new.

We got this from our appliance shop - they gave or sold it to my DH when he ordered the appliances (stainless steel all). They had remarked that we'd need it with the order we'd just placed and that they recommend it highly.

Well, consider me converted after not even bothering to open the tin for 2+ years.

• jakvis
    16 years ago

I have to second the motion on WD40.
    It's basically mineral oil with a propelent.

To have stainless you need to understand stainless.

When you do a good job of cleaning a metal surface it will want to attract and absorb oils. This is why when you touch it your finger prints are left.
    If you wipe down the surface with thin coating of mineral oil and then wipe it "dry" with a soft cloth or paper towel, you will be impregnating the surface with oil. Now the stainless is happy and it doesn't need to take the oils from your skin.
    It's true, happy stainless steel is what make the world go round.

• odie_1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mindstorm- You are so right. I was afraid of that. That is exactly what it was! The stuff was great. It never left streaks and would take off fingerprints, etc., even cleaned the stovetop of grease and grime and really kept the fingerprints from coming back.

I am so upset now because the SS magic has basically trashed my SS. It looks streaked almost to the point of being discolored pinkish! I did use olive oil and it is better but I used to be able to just wipe any food smudges my daughter would leave.

• jobazza
    16 years ago

This is the best stainless steel cleaner I've ever used:

http://www.northeastjanitorial.com/janitorial_supplies/hibrite-stainless-steel-cleaner-p-70.html

This is a local company by me and I'm a big fan of them and their products. They're very helpful and always answer the phone when I call. They'll tell you why this product works so well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hi Brite Stainless Steel Cleaner

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I'm glad to read all these messages because my stainless appliances are sitting in the garage & living room as we speak. Here is the link to Sheila Shine - thanks, Mindstorm.
    I will also check out all the other options. My friend Judy swears by Lemon Pledge; maybe because of the oil content that Jakvis mentioned. Very interesting! I would also imagine that Citrasolv, which is made with orange oil, would work. Guess I'll have a chance to try them all pretty soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheila Shine

• cheradk
    16 years ago

Well, I am still using a bottle of the Restoration Hardware stuff that was referred to in the original post - white pump spray bottle with silver label. It is Stainless Steel Magic (professional strength)! It is Water, Mineral Oil, Tripropylene Glycol Methyl Ether & Sorbitan Monoleate An online search suggests it is available from alot of sources. The manufacturer of the Restoration Hardware stuff was made by Magic American Corp. in Cleveland, OH.
    One thing I have found with this is that you need to JUST use this - don't try to pre-clean with other cleaning products, then it does streak like crazy.

• mybalckcat
    16 years ago

This may be a bit too late to answer, but was it Cerama Bryte stainless steel cleaner? It comes in a white spray bottle with an oblong label. Has mineral oil in it, too. Good stuff! I had issues with little hand prints all over my appliances, then I found this fantastic cleaner. If I recall correctly, I purchased it at Home Depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cerama Bryte

• me262-ssd
    16 years ago

ALWAYS TEST A SS CLEANER HOWEVER IVE BEEN USING PLEDGE WITH THE ORANGE CAP WORK GREAT BUT MAKES FLOOR SLIPPERY