Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer42_gw

Bosch speed oven- any reviews?

jennifer42
9 years ago

I am really tempted by the Bosch speed oven. We have a 27" space, so don't have many brands to choose from. We have GE microwave/oven combo unit now but I don't love its loud whirring fan, and the Bosch seems much quieter. However I know Bosch's microwaves have had reliability issues, so I'm wondering if their speed oven is worth buying as a new product, and gambling on reliability. I would get the wall oven and the speed oven both. Thanks for any input!

Comments (11)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I would be very surprised if Bosch had more microwave problems than their competition, most of them are made in China junk.

I would lean away from the Bosch speed oven not because of any reliability issues, but because it just seems weak feature-wise compared to the competition. They only have 9 speed cook programs. The GE Advantium has hundreds. Programs are very important in a speed oven - most of us know how to cook in a regular oven by time and temperature, not by proportions of convection, radiant, and microwave energy as you do on a speed oven. Speed ovens have been discussed a lot before here - I recommend you do a search for previous posts. Here's some reading to get you started (the Bosch speed oven is mentioned as well).

If you decide not to go the speed oven route, I would advise you avoid built-in microwaves and instead make an alcove for a countertop microwave. They are much cheaper to replace when needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Do I need a speed oven?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Why not get an Electrolux speed oven? Many more programs than the Bosch and matches their excellent line of wall ovens.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 14:20

• jennifer42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From what I can tell, Electrolux doesn't make a 27" speed oven, which is the only possible size we can use. If they did, that would definitely be a great solution!!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Can you go with an elux icon and a Advantium 240 and try to match the trims. I think the icon trim is close to the wolf so it might work with the monogram.

The picture of the wolf/Advantium might have been from my kitchen. Most think they are the same brand. I do leave the display off on the Advantium (easy to do) so I don't get clockitis

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, I did not read your post carefully enough and totally missed the 27 inch thing. Unfortunately I do not know of any 240 volt 27 inch speed cook ovens so you'll have to settle for 120. If it were me I would go with the Monogram Advantium, and stack it over a different brand of wall oven if I didn't want GE (not necessarily Wolf).

BTW, I had a GE oven, and the cooling fan was almost completely silent. Microwave/speed oven fans are generally louder than regular oven fans. However, microwave/oven combo units will often use that noisy microwave fan to cool the lower oven too. That will be avoided if you do separate units with their own fans - you will only hear that loud whirring noise when you are using the microwave/speed oven.

How do you know the Bosch is quieter - did you listen in a showroom? And are you sure that quiet fan is used for the speed oven too, or just the convection oven?

• jennifer42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very intriguing, hvtech! I was assuming that all GE wall ovens are loud since my GE wall oven/microwave combo has always been loud. Going with a separate GE oven, if quieter, + Advantium would be a great solution. I will research GE wall oven fans. Maybe this could finally be the solution!?! :)

I have not heard a Bosch oven in use, I'm just going by comments saying Bosch ovens (and Elux) tend to be the quietest.

FYI, the 27" Bosch speed oven *is* 240V. And it nicely matches the oven. But as you said it has few programs and reliability is a concern since it's unreviewed as yet.

A2gemini - yes! I think it was your beautiful kitchen photo indeed. And I love the look of the Elux icon-- it would match well with the Monogram advantium. However, the Icon does not seem to come in a 27" model which is what we need :( I love your term "clockitis." Totally know what you mean.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Most wall oven brands have some complaints about fan noise, but the only one where the complaints really stand out is the latest Whirlpool ovens. I predict that when you research the GE, you'll find some people who don't like the noise, but as much or more who don't have a problem with it. Keep in mind many of the complaints come from people who had a freestanding range before, or an older wall oven, neither of which have fans. So the fact that an oven can make any sort of noise at all is a foreign concept to them.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 19:43

• John McDowell
    6 years ago

Just responding to jennifer42's post that the 27" Bosch speed oven is 240v, not 120v, at least as of 2017.

Seems like there aren't any really solid options for 27" models... I would have gone with the Advantium 240 if it were available in 27" or 24".

• Mitchell Leitman
    5 years ago

| just got one of these installed today. I'm trying to figure out how to change the display weights for food from imperial to metric. Anyone know how to do this?

• Gabrielle Tierney
    5 years ago

Here is a link to the GE Monogram Advantium 26 3/4" It is 120 V.

http://appliances.monogram.com/us/specs/ZSC1001JSS