Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arch123

Viking Refrigerator leaking into pan

arch123
11 years ago

We bought a house about a year ago and the appliances are about eight years old. The refrigerator (Viking) has started to leak water into the pan under the frig about 1/2 cup a day. I have no idea what causes this or how to fix it.

Comments (11)

• arch123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rwiegand - yes I think you are right. Thanks. How do you fix this?

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

There's nothing to fix. That's what it is supposed to do. The pan should never fill up. The water should evaporate on its own.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

It is the water from the defrost cycle.

It collects in the pain and then evaporates when the fan for cooling the condenser coil normally blows over the pan.

Every 'frost free' freezer needs a place to dump the melted frost.

• arch123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes but it is spilling onto the floor.

• rwiegand
    11 years ago

A couple possibilities, a leak in the ice maker water supply and insufficient air circulation to evaporate the defrost cycle water. Eliminate the first possibility by shutting the water to the ice maker off and see if the problem disappears. (look for an obvious leak as well). Check your coils under the fridge to make sure they are free of dust and air is flowing freely-- a good vacuuming of the coils every couple of months is good for any fridge. Is the drip pan completely full? if not the water may be coming from, for example, a crack the tube that takes the defrost water to the pan, it could be falling on the floor rather than into the pan. Check the bottom of the freezer for ice build-up as wel.

• rwiegand
    11 years ago

You may also want to check that he freezer door is closing completely and that the gasket is good. If humid air is getting into the freezer continuously it could overwhelm the system.

• barryv_gw
    11 years ago

Archie, are you sure it is leaking into the pan? A common problem with refrigerators is that there is a tube that drains from the bottom of the refrigerator compartment into the pan - and that can get clogged causing it to drip onto the floor. When mine was leaking on the floor, I wasn't sure what it was until I checked the pan and saw it was dusty, which meant the water didn't get their in the first place. On mine, which has the freezer on the bottom, the tube had frozen over causing the water to spill out. This site says it is pretty common to get debris in the line as well, or it could be the icemaker leaking - which is another common problem

Here is a link that might be useful: appliance repair forum

• Thomas Jaeger
    5 years ago

Did you find the solution? My Viking is doing the same thing, leaking 1/2 cup a day into the pan. If I don't empty it after a few days it will begin flowing over onto the floor. It does not evaporate fast enough. And yes, I have turned the water off to see if that was the problem, but the problem still persists.

• arch123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We had some work done on our Viking Fridge - $2000. Everything is working fine now. The tech suggested keeping the house windows closed to eliminate humid air coming in.

• Appliance Parts
    5 years ago

The solution is easy to fix a viking refrigerator evaporator pan overflowing you need a kit that will get rid of the water faster part number KITG50911853 be sure to click the link to check and see if you model number is listed.