Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_fleming6164357

Water Pooling on Bottom of Refrigerator and Leaking

Rob F.
9 years ago

Hi: I have a Kenmore Pro 48 inch side by side Refrigerator. Water is pooling at the very bottom (underneath the bottom bin) and when it gets too high, it starts to leak out the front door. Would anyone know what is causing this? Thanks for any insight.

Comments (10)

• Rob F.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HI Dados: The model number is 40483. I think you are right. Is clogged drain. Is this something I can fix myself, or should I just call an appliance repair shop. I was thinking one way to fix it might be to just turn off the refrigerator for a day or so. Do you think that would do it or do I have to replace the drain?

• dadoes
    9 years ago

That's a stock number, not a complete model number. The full model number is three numbers, a period, then more numbers.

The clog is typically caused by a blob of accumulated slime. Turning the unit off won't have any effect, nor is replacement of the drain necessary. Just a matter of clearing the clog.

In some cases (usually, but not always, involving upright freezers) the drain can freeze, in which case shutting it off will help but must be long enough for the ice clog to melt.

• Rob F.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dados: Sorry, the model numbe is 401.40483800. Would you be able to tell me how to access the drain to try to unclog it? I would really appreciate it. I can't find a schematic that shows this.

Thanks!

• klem1
    9 years ago

The drain is connected beneath a depression with 3/8ths hole at rear center of fridge. The drain tube terminates in a pan sitting atop compressor. Pull lower shelves and bins so a flexiable wire,long zip-tie,smaller tube or such can be pushed through hole into tube. When clog clears,water will start draing from floor of fridge. It's wise to pour 1 or 2 cups of water through drain once it's draining. You might use sponge or towel to soak water from pan atop compressor before it overflows onto kitchen floor while cleaning. Wipe up all bits of food lieing on bottom of fridge so they don't find their way into drain latter.

• renegadecd
    9 years ago

Check your filter for cracks. We are renovating our kitchen because of the flood that it caused while we were on vacation this summer.

• Tiffany Duncan
    9 years ago

I realize this is an old post but I'm having the same problem. The refrigerator is located at a summer place, and this problem has been going on for 2 years now! The refrigerator was shut off for winter but sat in freezing temps I'm sure! It's been a cold winter in MD.

Before we winterized the place last fall, we tried to blow out the line to see if it was clogged. It didn't seem to be yet water still pools on the bottom.

The floor is not level but didn't think that would be an issue as it actually leans back, not forward.

Any hints or suggestions? It is so hard to get any repair work done at the beach. No one is reliable!

• erin ff
    8 years ago

I have been having the same problem for quite a while now. It has been repaired numerous times (9 visits) 3 of the same part within one year. Repair man coming tomorrow since the last repair (3 days ago) resulted in the whole refrigerator no longer working....doesnt cool. Freezer is registering at 46-48 degrees and fridge is warmer then the room. comment if you are still having issues

• klem1
    8 years ago

I hope you aren't paying them for all the visits that didn't fix the problem.

• lamonica6
    7 years ago

Blow off the dust around the compressor- If it's too dusty it runs much hotter than it should resulting in condensation in the refrigerator. Once mine was cleaned out I haven't had the issue since.