Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcrown_gw

Pop-up downdraft behind my slide-in stove.?

mcrown
14 years ago

So maybe I just don't want to believe the appliance guy, but is it really not possible to put a pop-up downdraft behind my slide in stove in a peninsula setting? I was trying for a standard countertop depth of 25". But according to the Sears guy, I would need an extra 7-8" behind the slide-in stove to fit the pop up downdraft. If this is the case, then the gas Jenn-Air with the integrated downdraft is my ONLY option. Seems strange.

Comments (24)

• weissman
    14 years ago

He's mostly right. I think only Dacor makes a pop-up downdraft that will work with their range - if they still make it. Most pop-ups only work with cooktops, not ranges.

• mcrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So am I stretching by asking if you could do a cooktop/pop up downdraft/oven below?

• weissman
    14 years ago

It would really depend on how much room the popup downdraft takes up - there might not be enough room for an oven - you really would need to check the specs of all the components to see if they'll all work together and not void the warranties. You'd be better off if you could put in an island hood over the range.

• judeNY_gw
    14 years ago

I looked into this a while ago but I don't think anything has changed. Other than Jennair (not a consideration), only Dacor had a range/downdraft that would work together. If you look hard enough you can find an oven, cooktop and downdraft that would physically fit (although it might be a couple of inches more than standard depth) but it each would have to be perfectly installed (not likely), the oven would have to be uninstalled to service the downdraft and the warranty would be voided on everything. I put the oven in the cabinet next to the cooktop/downdraft. Also, Dacor is the only dd that is thin enough to fit; I have one and I would not recommend it.

Stay within the standard installation specs to preserve your sanity.

• mcrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, who would have thought that it would be this difficult to put a stove into an island. Since we didn't want a overhead hood, I just assumed that it would be no problem to get ventilation into the space we were working with. I guess I was just wrong.

• jofer
    14 years ago

It can work with this model KIRD801 from Kitchen-aid

Optional blower motor mounting position (opposite side).
    The blower motor box assembly can also be moved to the
    opposite side of the vent.

Jofer
    Montreal Canada

Here is a link that might be useful: installation instruction see page 11

• mcrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, Jofer, I was so close to excited. :( But alas, the blower motor box assembly can be moved, but it is 9" wide, which is much larger than the knee wall that the box would have to fit inside. Thank you so much for trying for me though.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

I think the GE allows you to mount the motor outside.

It's really not a problem if you use a deeper cabinet. One of the ways to do this is to make the countertop deeper/wider (like a bar) and kick out the back of the cabinet the required depth. For example, lets say the island is the slide-in with standard cabinets on both sides. The counter could be 40" or more deep giving overhang space over the standard cabinets and the stove cabinet could be deeper, but still covered by the countertop.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

I've had the same Dacor ERV36 pop up ventilation for 4 years- I love it. We have the 600 CFM remote blower mounted outside the kitchen. Dacor makes 2 units - one is 600 CFM the other is 1000 CFM.

• datch
    14 years ago

We just went through the same thing. We wanted to install a replacement range in our kitchen island. We ended up going with a Dacor rangetop instead a range with the pop-up downdraft ventilation unit. In our case, we installed the blower in the cabinet below the rangetop. It can also be installed remotely (usually on the outside of your house where the vent exhausts). Definately not as good as an overhead hood but a hood in this particular space would have looked terrible.

• marytwit
    14 years ago

Infohound,

Are you suggesting that there might be room for an oven under the cooktop, even with the Dacor pop up?

• datch
    14 years ago

We were told that you could not put a full size oven below a rangetop. Apparently it has something with the location of the gas connection. I do not know for sure that this is true. The blower for the downdraft does not sit up against the bottom of the rangetop, so it is not an issue. I have seen installations with warming drawers below a rangetop.

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

I'm fighting with spaces issues and would also like to be able to do an induction cooktop in my island with an oven below and a downdraft. I've found a few downdrafts that are very slim (under 4") if used with an external blower (OK for me), but haven't looked to see if there is an oven that will work. Maybe if I set the cooktop back a little more than normal?

I also see that Viking just came out with an induction range that will work in an island. Very pretty, but pricey and I doubt it will work with a downdraft either.

• johnpaul38_earthlink_net
    13 years ago

Warning ! I have looked into this as a kitchen designer and most manafacturers wont warrantee this even if you can configure it. It has something to do with the heat from a self cleaning oven may melt parts inside the gear box that drives it up and down.

• elyash
    11 years ago

I spoke to electrolux regarding their induction slide in range and downdraft. They told me it could be done, but needed to be vented outside through a wall. I am replacing a dacor which had the downdraft in the floor so this did not work for me, but perhaps it will help someone else.

• Leehop1
    10 years ago

I am replacing my 1995 Jenn-aire gas/ electric slide-in range with an Electrolux induction, double oven slide-in. Does anyone know if I can utilize my current JA downdraft blower moter/vent with a new,free-standing downdraft unit?

• kokomas
    9 years ago

paging infohound, could you post pictures of your downdraft vent solution where you still get full depth drawers beneath your cooktop? we are trying to do the same thing and being told no

• cfitz134
    6 years ago

Or put the pop up downdraft to the right or left of the range? I'm looking into that possibility. Gotta check with my cabinet guy

• homepro01
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

cfitz134,

You will need two downdrafts for it to work on the sides of the units or you will only be able to effectively use the downdraft on the side that it is mounted. Gaggenau used to sell a side mounted downdraft that was well rated because it extended above the cooking surface directly. It was discontinued in the US and you would still need two of them. you may be able to find these on eBay. You will also lose considerable counter and cabinet space.

Gaggenau VL 051 older model that swings into place.

This the Gaggenau replacement (Vario Model VL414) for the older model but it fights the laws of physics.

Good luck!

• Stephen Coles
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am in the same boat: no room in the kitchen for a standard hood above our electric range. I definitely don't want to resort to one of the two lousy ranges with the built-in downdraft. (I’m already replacing one of those that failed.) Fortunately, it looks like there are now a few options in Europe, and in the US there is the JennAir JXD7030YS, which can be "reversed", so the motor box is installed in the back. Unfortunately, it still requires 4 inches for the blower in front.

It's been a few years since the last post, so hopefully there are other options, too!

• Stephen Coles
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

There is also the Best Cattera which has many installation options, including a separate blower below the unit, which would solve the problem the original poster has with the small island.

• portstjoe
    2 years ago

I am having my cabinet maker accommodate to install the Braun Nutone downdraft. I was wondering about the heat issue so will probably just put durarock behind the slide in range so to minimize any heat transference to the blower and unit. Second question would be though cleaning an access to the filter. I assume That in order to do that I would have to pull the range out every time? Any thoughts of a workaround?