Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokie98

Can conv MW replace a toaster oven?

hokie98
10 years ago

We're going to be replacing (eventually) the appliances (~2005 Whirlpool) in the kitchen of our new (to us) home. I was spoiled at our last house - huge kitchen (Thermador cooktop, wall oven & MW), and an enormous walk-in pantry. Our new house has a much smaller kitchen, and a closet pantry. I use our toaster oven quite a bit...I will cook/heat up things in there instead of using the oven or microwave (chicken nuggets for the kids, baking a few cookies from refrigerator-ed dough, even cook one chicken breast or piece of fish, etc.). I don't actually use a MW much except to reheat on occasions. Previously our toaster oven resided in the pantry, but in this house it's on the counter top since we don't have room in this pantry. Since countertop space is at a premium, I'd like to free up the space it's occupying. We have an over the range microwave. I'm not the biggest fan of those and would prefer a real hood, but again, space is an issue, and I can live with the over the range MW, esp if I can cook it in as I can my toaster oven. So tell me please that the new convection MWs can be used similarly to a toaster oven. I know that I won't be able to toast a piece of bread in one, but candidly, our toaster oven isn't the best 'toaster' and I can easily live with a small toaster that lives in the cabinet and comes out when needed. Opinions and even of specific brands are appreciated. I'd like to find a matching dual fuel range & OTR MW, and have been looking at GE Cafe & KA (and maybe Bosch, but they don't seem to be getting good reviews). Idea #2 is going with a 2 oven range, using the smaller oven as I would the toaster oven...not as quick probably, but an idea.

Comment (1)