Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sqp1015

Please comment on first try at appliances

sqp1015
11 years ago

Hello, all - we're very gradually planning our total kitchen gut/expansion/first-&-last-ever-we-hope remodel. Have been investigating appliance choices and would really appreciate your inputs on this first pass at a list:

Wall ovens: Electrolux Wave-Touch EW30EW55GS - 2 singles; one installed in island below cooktop (if possible; see below) & one in cab near baking area.

Warming drawer: Electrolux Wave-Touch EW30WD55GS - installed below Elux oven near baking area.

Cooktop: Miele KM5773 36" induction - installed in island, but don't know if this can be installed over Elux oven we're thinking of; we like the look of this better than the Elux induction (smaller stainless trim on Miele) & both seem to have good comments here.

Fridge: Liebherr HCB2062 or Liebherr Premium Plus HC2062 (not sure what differences are?) OR Kitchen Aid Architect II KFC022EVBL - we need counter-depth & want paneled; love the fully-integrated look of the Liebherrs, but obviously way more expensive, & mixed reviews on both KA & Liebherr on AJ Madison.

Dishwasher: Miele Futura of some sort, but we're REALLY confused about all the different flavors!

Microwave: Sharp Insight Pro KB6524P 24" drawer - don't have counter space for MW on counter & don't want to reach up to use one.

Vent hood: TOTALLY CONFUSED!! Cooktop will be in island (that's NOT negotiable), but don't want anything sleek/modern - no stainless or glass - kitchen will be Craftsman-inspired; reading the many discussions of ventilation on this forum is so overwhelming. I love to cook (just me & DH in home), but pretty simple - mostly veg & fish (baked), no indoor grilling, no deep frying - but many cauldrons of soup in the cold weather! Other than the fact that we apparently should have a 42" wide hood over a 36" cooktop, I'm at square one - and wish that a downdraft was a possible solution, but from what I read they're not advisable.

Please give me your words of wisdom, and thank you!

Comments (8)

• philwojo
    11 years ago

Is that Liebherr the French Door (FD) model? If so I would try to talk you out of it. I hated it when I actually saw and touched it on a showroom floor. My main reason for not liking it was that you cannot just open one door, the design of it always opens both doors.

I'm sure it works just fine, I just hated that aspect of it.

My wife and I just had demo start yesterday on our remodel and we have already purchased our Liebherr fridge, but we went with two (2) 24 inch columns that we will put side-by-side to make it look like one 48 inch unit.

Good luck,
    Phil

• sqp1015
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, philwojo - the Liebherrs are both FD models. Many thanks for your input - will definitely get our hands on anything before we purchase & be alert to that aspect; wish we had the room for your solution. Major congrats on the start of demo - how exciting!

• sqp1015
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did more searching for fridges on AJ Madison site & eliminated "panel-ready" filter; came upon neat-looking Heartland FD model, but no reviews for it. Anyone here have experience with Heartland refrigerators?

Here is a link that might be useful: Heartland FD CD fridge

• jahrms
    11 years ago

You will be hard-pressed to find a non-stainless steel island hood unless you go with one of Viking's painted pieces. I also suggest staying away from a downdraft because performance is so poor. Perhaps you should look at a more traditional island hood that might fit the craftsman style such as the Zephyr Napoli or Best IP29.

• sqp1015
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, jahrms - I will add those to my list to check out! Too bad that downdraft just doesn't seem to work if one actually cooks.

• jamesbodell
    11 years ago

We had an island cooktop and used a frigidaire 36" "downdraft". It actually is a powered backsplash that rises up 15". Its so-so effective, better on the back burners. But if you, like us, do not want ruin the sight lines of the kitchen its a good alternative, The hood will either be very high above the stove and you'll lose some fumes, or it will be so loud you wont be able to speak.

hmm, I just looked and it appears they discontinued it. The one on the web site only rise 7". still, something to consider. We have not been terribly unsatisfied with ours, but would have had we interupted the site-lines.

• sqp1015
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wianno, thank you for posting your experience and for checking on the Frigidaire model you went with. Everything seems to be a trade-off one way or another. I searched the forum here & found some discussion of the intriguing "Cirrus" flat-to-the-ceiling model by Best - neat idea, but the consensus of learned folks here seemed to be that one would need several of them in an array to be effective - and at who knows what cost, since I haven't seen any prices listed!

• jamesbodell
    11 years ago

Sorry, the manufactuere is thermador.

Here is a link that might be useful: 15