Return to the Appliances Forum

o
GE Profile Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS

Posted by fauguy (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 15:42

This really looks nice! I might wait for this PHS925STSS slide-in Induction instead of going with the GE Induction free-standing model (PHB925STSS/PHB925SPSS).

Here is a link that might be useful: http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=PHS925STSS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Profile Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS

You're right, this one does look very nice.

o

Hard to tell from the picture, but perhaps the oven vent is at the rear instead of the front. This would be good in that it would be away from the control panel.

It also shows the sliding racks.

o

When you look at the first two pics, it looks like there is a stainless vent in the back behind the cooktop, but in the 4th pic you don't see it (maybe because it's angled).

o

I called around today, and none of the stores have this one listed in their system yet. GE says it's due out by mid-September.

o

Video showing it here (have to register).

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.imediatube.com/video/192/ge-slide-in-electric-range-phs925-and-ps978

o

I don't care to sign up for their service.

o

I signed up, just to be able to watch the video, since the range is not in stores yet. It looks pretty nice, and probably better built than the Electrolux one (that has the separation issue under the control panel.
Hopefully the stores will get the GE on display in a few weeks, though it may be a year til I get one.

o

Still no local store have it on display, but it's now shown up on the Sears web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02233163000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

o

Interesting; thanks for posting the Sears link.

I'm not sure how useful a 100W fifth "warming element" is going to be -- maybe almost as functional as Electrolux induction range's lower oven.

But I'd like to see this in person, when its available.

o

Well, most all of the GE Profile series that is electric has the 5th warming burner. I have it on my GE Profile smooth-top that is about 8 years old, but hardly ever use it except around the holidays. Still, on an induction range (free-standing or slide-in) I'd still prefer the 5th warming burner to also be induction instead of using a hidden heat element, but I guess since it doesn't get too hot, that it doesn't really need to be induction.

o

I notice that the width is 31 1/4 wide, won't that be hard to retrofit for people with 30 inch ranges? Also for new builds, it won't quite fit under a 30 inch hood. OK if you have a 36 inch hood, but not everyone has that luxury. For the kitchen designers, is this a problem/pitfall?

o

Betcha the 31 1/4 width is the 5/8" trim around the top. This trim overlaps the countertop. All slide-ins have this (well, pretty much). The cutout is still 30".

o

If you look at the install instructions, you'll see the cook-top is 31.75" wide, but the body of the range is just under 30" wide. That's pretty standard for slide-ins, as the cook-top edge sits on top of the side counter.
But from talking to GE about it last month, I was told that that this slide-in can fit into the same space as a regular 30" free-standing range and does not require any "notch" modification to the counter like other brands do (Electrolux) for the front control panel to fit. All you would have to do is order the "filler strip" for the back.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=31-10769.pdf

o

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with this particular model yet? It's a good-looking range, and I'd like to get some opinions on this as a possible replacement range for sometime in the next few months.

Also waiting for this to become available in Canada, as I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

Thanks!

~Geoff

o

Has anyone bought this range yet? I want to know if the fan that turns on to cool the electronics (NOT the convection oven) vents out the front (top of oven door) and whether it is annoying. I ordered a Frigidaire electric slide-in only to return it because the electronics fan blew too hard out the front. I called GE and there is a fan that goes on if the electronics get too hot, but no way to tell how annoying it could be. The other option is to go with the freestanding model with the electronics in the back.

o

I have not seen this range yet, as no one has it on display locally. But the induction venting is done out of the top/back (behind the rear burners).
If you look at the picture in the link below, you can see a vent in the stainless behind the rear burners. I asked GE, and they said this is where the induction vents, and also where the oven vent is. I looked at the exploded parts diagram on the GE Parts web site, and can see the fan and where it vents out the top vent on the back.

The Freestanding induction model also vents, but I haven't looked to see where it vents at (front or back).

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PHS925STSS.html

o

I think the freestanding vents out the back of the unit behind the raised control panel against the wall.

o

The slide-in induction fan is #33 and vents out of #12 in the back.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o
Cooling Fan for cooktop on GE Profile Slide-In Induction Range PH

Thanks for the comments on the cooling fan for the cooktop. GE told me that the fan does blow out the front, but I can't find anyone who has the stove who can tell me how hard it blows. The fan goes on when the cooktop reaches ~210 deg. F and turns off at ~180 deg. F, so at least its not on all the time. I wish appliance stores had 220 v outlets & let people actually try the ranges. We haven't been able to find anyone who will let us do that. So we are still stuck about whether to buy the slide in & take a risk that we'd send it back because of an annoying cooling fan or play it safe with the freestanding model.

o

We got this model recently and have been very happy with it. The cooktop works great - super fast, super responsive, and so easy to clean. This is our first induction cooktop and it's still jaw-droppingly cool to watch how quickly it can heat a pan. And the oven on this model is HUGE, 5.6 cubic feet - almost two CF larger than our old KitchenAid.

The only thing I would point out is that it is several inches deeper than our old one. I never replaced a range before, so I don't know whether this one is extra deep or the old one was unusually shallow, but you should check the measurements before committing to it. We ended up having to cut a couple of inches off the counter behind it in order to slide it in all the way.

@fauguy - GE misled you (or misunderstood you) about the venting. The convection oven vent is at the rear, but the cooktop vents are at the front, on the underside of the control panel, at the far left and right, blowing out to the sides. You can see them on the bottom of part 66 on your exploded drawing. We've never even noticed them come on, I suspect because the sound of sizzling drowns out the sound of the fan.

o

saltimbocca,

Thanks for the info, as so far you're the only person that has posted about actually owning this slide-in induction range.

When my kitchen was remodeled in '06, we already had a GE free-standing range that was purchased two years earlier, so the cabinet and granite cut-out was measured to fit a standard free-standing range. From what I understand, the slide-ins aren't as deep as their free-standing counterparts, so there is actually a "gap" behind the cooktop and the wall/back-splash. This gap is usually filled with whatever the counter is made of, but there are "fillers" that GE makes that attaches to the back of the stove so that it can it in a regular "free standing" space.

My guess is that since your range was much older (including the cabinets) that it was really shallow, so that is why you had to cut the back of the counter to make room. If you got a free-standing range, it would have to be cut even more.

Thanks about saying where the induction vents are. I would have preferred them to be in the back, but you say they aren't very noticeable in the front. People with the Electrolux model have said theirs vents in the front and they an feel hot air blowing on them when they are cooking, which they don't like. So that is why most people would want it to vent closer to the back.

Does the touch control panel light-up when you use it? It looks like it in the pictures, but hard to tell. Also, are the touch-controls over-sensitive or respond well to touch?

If you're able, please post of pictures of the range. None of the stores here have it in stock yet. How much was yours?

o

Saltimbocca,

Thanks for describing this new range. It sounds like you have one of the first units built. I'd also like to see some photos, and -- after you've had more time to use and explore it -- please post a more detailed review of your experiences with this range here.

I have the E'lux induction range, and am very happy with induction and with my range. Warm air does softly blow out the front when in use, but, as in your GE, its not a bother at all. Its difficult to see how this could be a concern for anyone.

o

I'd be happy to post photos, but I can't seem to figure out how to do so. I searched the site and found a post that says "After you click Preview Message you'll see a checkbox labeled Attach Photo and a button to browse to the one you want to attach" but that does not happen. Any suggestions?

o

I wish it were that simple, saltimbocca! This thread on the kitchens forum has instructions for posting pics:

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pics

o

Can you comment on the quality of the baking and roasting??? I have GE gas cafe range and the baking is uneven. I always have to use convection mode for baking and roasting in order for the recipe to finish in the time it should. Even then I find the heat uneven and must continually turn whatever I am cooking.
I have two ranges in my kitchen (gas - the GE cafe) and a first generation Dacor which I am contemplating replacing with the GE induction range or BS or CC.
Also, can you use two large stock pots at the same time on the induction cooktop? What are the burner sizes?

o

Thanks, writersblock. That's a really klugey system, most other boards I post to let you just post photos within the site. I'll work on that later, but for now I'll answer the other questions.

fauguy: the controls in the central section of the panel (oven, warming oven, and timer) light up when you use them, but just the ones you're actually using. They are nicely logical though - for example, when you push the Timer On button, the number pad lights up to indicate that you need to select the amount of time you want, and once you do so, the Start button lights up to indicate that you need to push it to start the timer. And when the time is up, the Timer Off button lights up and blinks. But the buttons for the four burners and the warming area do not light up at all - a little red LED comes on when you turn one on, and then changes to a larger red number LED display once you select the heat level (on the warming area it's just L, M, and H). And the panel is pretty hard to read when unlit, though I get around that by turning on the light in my overhead vent.

The touch controls themselves work very well, neither over- nor under-sensitive. I'm glad about that - my old KitchenAid had knobs for heat control but a touch pad for the oven and timer, and it was often a challenge to get it to respond to touches, so I was a bit leery about this, But it appears that pretty much all induction units have touchpad controls.

As for price, the slide-in is slightly more expensive than the stand-alone. We got it for $2530 net (actually $2699, but the dealer "ate" the MA state sales tax, which would have added 6.25% or $169. Just a fancy way of giving an extra discount). I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it for a bit less on line, but I wanted to buy from a reputable local dealer who can service it if I have a problem. I also spent $199 on a five-year extended warranty.

avidchef: I don't do a lot of baking and haven't done any in this oven yet. It's electric with convection. I did braise some lamb shanks last weekend that came out great, but braising is not very sensitive to temperature fluctuations. The burner diameters are approx. 10-1/2" (front right), 7-1/2" (front and rear left), 5-1/2" (rear right), and 6-1/2" (warming area).

One other thing that I had not seen mentioned but that is of interest: when you turn on each burner it comes on at 5, which you can quickly adjust up and down in 1/2 step increments, L at the bottom and H at the top, with numbers in between. But each burner also has an extra button that takes you instantly to a predetermined level. On the big burner this is labeled Power Boil, and it takes you immediately to H (which is the full 3700W - it will only stay at this level for ten minutes, and while it's at H you can't use the rear right burner at all). On the two middle-size burners it's labeled Simmer, and takes you direct to 3. On the small one it's labeled Melt and goes immediately to L.

Pictures later when I have the time to deal with it.

o

FWIW: a slide-in TOP is shallower than a freestanding, but the oven cavity is the same. That is, the cavity goes to the wall.

o

The GE slide in induction is on its way, to be installed within the next month. We got a good deal on it at the end of September through HD via price matching... Around 2300.

I like what I'm hearing so far, but am a bit alarmed that you can't use all 4 burners at the same time as described by saltimbucca... Hmmm.

Thanks all,
Anna

o

That would only be on boost.

o

Thanks for your response. Sorry to have so many questions.
I often have two 12 inch bottom stock pots on to make soup. First I bring the broth to a boil and then simmer for several hours. Would I be able to use a 12 inch pot on the 10.5 burner? Am I correct that I would only be able to make one pot at a time?
Does the stove have a bridge for a poaching pan, griddle or grill?

o

avidchef: I use 12" pots and pans on the 10-1/2" burner and they do just fine. Keep in mind that the difference between a 10-1/2" circle and a 12" one is just a 3/4" ring around the outside, and on a good pan the heat spreads quickly to that last outer fraction of an inch.

If you're just simmering a broth I would think you could use the right rear 7-1/2 inch burner for the second pot - I wouldn't choose that for a 12" fry pan as it probably wouldn't heat the entire surface evenly, but for simmering it should work fine. Though you may want to bring the pot to a boil on the larger burner and then move it to the smaller one for simmering.

o

There is no bridging element on the GE. They are fairly rare on induction tops. I think only LG makes one.

o

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s454/Saltimbocca13/Full.jpg

o
RE: GE Profile Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS - photos

Ignore that previous post, I'm just getting the hang of photo posting. I think I've got it now.

Here's a shot of the full range:
Photobucket

The oven:
Photobucket

The cooktop:
Photobucket

The central control section:
Photobucket

The left side controls:
Photobucket

The right side controls:
Photobucket

o

Yay, you got it, saltimbocca! One thing: your images link to the originals in your album, which is okay, but you do have it set so that anyone can download, annotate or edit your images. Don't know whether or not you want that. Check your photobucket account settings, if not. (Me, I don't worry about downloading--there's always a way around that if people are determined, but I'm not so keen on having strangers able to edit my photos.)

o

Thanks for the pics!

It looks like the sides of the range is sticking out a few inches from the wood cabinet of the left and right side. I know you said they had to cut the counter top some to make room, as the older KA range was shallower.
You might want them to take inch or so off the top of the counter behind the cooktop so the range can be more recessed and not stick out so much.

Could you say what the measurement is on your counter from the front edge to that back counter strip (the strip that is behind the range).

Overall its a nice looking range, and would match my stainless GE Profile over-the-range Convection Microwave I got 2 years ago. It would show-off the granite backsplash more, which is covered-up by the rear control panel on my free-standing range.

I see what your talking about the back lights for the oven control pad in the center, but that's weird there are no back lights for the induction controls on the left & right side. Without the back light they look pretty dark and hard to see!

Since you said the induction vents out the left and right side (under the control panel), I guess the oven is what vents out that stainless piece in the back?

o

Fauguy,

If this is like E'lux's induction slide-in, then it can't be pushed back any farther: the oven part of the range will stick farther out the rear, as if the top cooktop part is shifted forward. That's why there's a strip of countertop running behind the top rear part of the range.

I'm not certain that this is the case for this GE, but I believe its typical of slide-in ranges generally. It is why we couldn't connect an existing downdraft to the E'lux range.

Saltimbocca, Thanks for the photos! Its nice to see one of these actually out in a kitchen.

o

Yes, I understand that slide-ins usually require a "counter strip" that goes behind the back of the cooktop. If your counter doesn't have that, then there is usually a filler-strip that you can attach to the back of the range (I know Elux makes them, not sure about GE).

I've seen several slide-in models (including the Elux) on display in showrooms, and all of them had the counter top made that fits around the back, but the front of the oven door is almost even with the left/right cabinet (maybe only sticks out 1"). But in these pics above, it looks like this one is sticking out several inches from the wood cabinet.

If you look at this pic (from GE), most of the control panel is recessed into the counter top area:
Photobucket

But in this one, the control panel is sticking out a lot further:
Photobucket

o

Fauguy, Yes, that's interesting -- good of you to notice this.

It doesn't look like the counter strip behind the range (in Saltimbocca's third photo, above) is wide enough to move it as far back as your GE photo shows. Also, your GE photo shows a rear vent piece that's different from Saltimbocca's. Either the vent difference, or a deeper GE counter, could make the difference.

o

Actually, the original image that GE had up a few months ago shows that "gray bar" all the way across behind the cooktop in that image, so they must have edited it. But in the other pics on GE's site, it showed the stainless vent in the rear.

o
RE: Slide-In Induction Range

Here is the other pic on GE's site, that I've zoomed in.
It also shows the control panel is recessed into the counter-top and the oven door looks to only stick out a little from the wood cabinet. Also, the stainless vent in the back looks to fit right next to the back-splash without any "counter top strip".

o

fauguy: The full depth of that counter is 26", and there's a 3" strip of it remaining behind the range. From the back of the range to the front of the control panel is 27" so it currently sticks out about 4", and the oven handles project another couple of inches beyond that. I misstated earlier when I said we had to cut the counter a bit deeper - we do need to do that, but haven't actually gotten a chance to yet. Hopefully this weekend I can find the time.

And yes, the oven vents out the back.

chac mool: on this range the rear of the oven is exactly level with the rear of the oven vent, so I can push it back flush to the wall if need be. But I think cutting it in about two more inches will be sufficient.

o

Thanks for clarifying this, Saltimbocca.

FWIW, on my E'lux the 'back of range to front of control panel' distance is 27", if measured at either side, but 27.5" across the middle of the range (the control panel bows out slightly). Oven handles protrude imperceptibly farther than that (~1/16"?), following the curve of the control panel.

If I get a chance I'll visit my local appliance dealer today, to see if this new GE range is here yet. It looks very similar to the E'lux induction.

o

For anyone who can see them both together, I'd be curious to know if there's any significant difference in visibility for the controls between the elux and the GE.

o

OK, so I start walking around in the appliance store, over by the ranges. A guy asks if he can help. I say where's the new GE induction? He says free-standing? I say slide-in.

Meanwhile, I see a GE electric glass-top range; not induction, but has the same basic look as Saltimbocca's, above, including 5 hobs. The guy says they don't have GE's induction. I say why? He says, "we don't sell many of them -- but I can get it". He offers to show me a picture, then realizes I've probably seen one.

[ Of course they don't sell many of them. No one's heard of induction here still, and they don't bother to carry it in their store. Why would he expect to sell any at all? They don't even have the E'lux induction range that I bought FROM THIS STORE almost two years ago now (when they did have one). Good lord. ]

Anyway, I see an E'lux electric glass-top slide-in range near the GE one. Neither one's plugged in. Ge's control board looks like E'lux's IQ touch controls, meaning all options are clearly visible even when the range is off (or not plugged in). E'lux's wave touch controls somehow dim the options as if through black glass; they can be seen, but are less apparent, when the appliance is off. I can't compare visibility of GE vs. E'lux controls when they are on or selected, but certainly my E'lux wave touch controls seem quite visible to me in actual use. And GE's controls seem equally visible when selected, in the photos above.

The control panel of the E'lux definitely sticks out more from the front plane of the range than the GE's, but the GE's handles protrude more than its control panel. I don't think I like the "frowning" Profile handles, but that's a trivial point; I suppose I'd get used to them.

I do like the GE's glass top, which is not protected on either side by stainless steel, as E'lux's is. This glass top seems to float above the countertop in the photos above. Looking more closely at the store's range, which is just sitting there with no counter anywhere around, I see an L-shaped metal flange coming up and out from the side. Above that there's thin rubbery padding; the black glass rests on that. It seems like stuff could get under the glass on either side, in actual use. It also seems like these sides could easily be damaged in shipping or installation, because they're unprotected. Still, it looks good.

o

The glass top (actually I think it's Ceran, a glass-ceramic material) does indeed extend about 1/2" on each side beyond the metal frame of the range. Not much chance of damage unless you drop a heavy pot right on the edge. If you want you could adjust the height so it rests perfectly on the counter with no gap - I may do that when I cut the countertop further in.

It does amaze me how little appliance salesmen seem to know about induction. I couldn't find anyone in the area (and I'm in a reasonably big city) who had this model in stock when I was considering buying it, but I found one place that had the freestanding model on the show floor. When I went in and asked to see it the salesman started out by asking me why I would want an induction range, and then proceeded to explain to me that induction works by heating the food, not the pan!

Needless to say, I made my purchase elsewhere.

o

Thanks, chac mool.

Yeah, I see this all the time around here, too. Our HD has actually had an induction cooktop for a couple of years now, and when I was in there looking at it the salesman kindly explained to me that this is a kind of cooktop for people who are pretentious.

Still, it's improving. Our Lowes has a bunch of induction models now, just not any of the ones I'm interested in.

o

A few weeks ago when I was looking at local stores trying to find this Induction slide-in on display, I did see the regular radiant heat slide-in. The control panel was the same, also with the same stainless vent on the back.

What I found interesting is that it was the only slide-in there that had black metal panels on the exterior left & right sides. All the other slide-in from GE and Elux were open on the sides where you could see the insulation around the oven cavity.

I looked on Elux web site, and the PDF for their induction shows that the sides are open, but you can buy and install the side panels for like $200. I emailed GE and they said their induction slide-in does come with the side panels, just like the GE radiant slide-in I saw in the store. The other (older model) GE sslide-ins do not come with the sides, but can be purchased and installed.

Also, the back of the GE radiant slide-in was completely level from the bottom to the top (behind that stainless vent), but the Elux was not, where the top was not as deep.

o

I saw this range at Brandsmart and the oven is made to slide all the way into the cabinet and sit flush with the back wall. No filler strip is needed. GE also has a question and answer section on their website and they also state that their is no need for a filler strip.

o

Cata3,

Which BrandsMart was this at? I was there a few weeks ago, and it wasn't on display, but in the system as a "special order".

o

The Brandsmart in Deerfield Beach, FL. They have the freestanding induction and the slidein electric double oven that has the same design as the slidein induction range. The freestanding induction has a porcelain interior but the new slidein induction has a black gloss interior with a rolling rack. It is definitely designed to sit flush with the wall. I have a GE profile slidein electric range right now and I needed a filler strip for this range.

o

Cata3,

Ok, so the BrandsMart didn't have this slide-in induction unit on display, but did have the free-standing induction and the slide-in double-oven?
When I was there last month, I did see the free-standing induction, but they've had it there for a year or two. When I asked about the slide-in induction, they said it was showing 0 in stock and special order for $2500, but once they have it in stock (and on display) the price would go down.

From what I've seen, the older free standing induction range PHB925SP had three self-cleaning oven racks (part WB48T10082 $64/each) that were enamel coated (like the ovens interior) and could stay in the oven during the self-clean cycle. But the newer free-standing PHB925ST and slide-in PHS925ST have the shiny nickel racks (part WB48T10083 $47/each) that have to be removed during the oven's self-clean mode. With the slid-in PHS925ST, one of those is a "roller rack" (part WB48T10077 $205) with the other two being a standard rack (as seen in the above pictures).

I'm not sure why the older free-standing induction had the "better" enamel coated racks that can stay in the over during the self-clean mode, but the newer free-standing and slide-in have nickel racks that must be removed.

In my opinion, If I were to buy the slide-in model, I'd look to purchase the self-cleaning enamel oven racks from the GE Parts site and see if they would fit. My current GE Profile range that I've had for 8 years has nickel racks and they are a pain to clean by hand, so we left them in there during a self-clean cycle to see if it would clean them. It ended up removing the shiny nickel coating, and makes them more difficult to move in and out. When I saw the older induction free-standing a year ago, I was glad to see it had enamel racks that could stay in the oven during the self-clean. Too bad GE stopped using them on the newer inductions!

o

I agree that the racks are a pain to clean. On my electric GE Profile range I usually place them in a large garbage bag and spray the racks and the inside of the bag and let them soak overnight and then rinse outside in the yard. Maybe the roller rack has to be nickel to slide and that is why they changed it.

From what I have seen at Brandsmart the range looks exactly like the one in the picture on the website. The control panel on the front is a lot less bulky than the Electrolux Induction range. If the oven performs as well as my electric GE Profile range, then I will be happy. I don't bake every day but I have taken a few week long bread making classes at King Arthur Flour in Vermont and do know how to bake. I happen to like GE for their cooking products. My GE Profile range is 7 years old and it has never given me a problem. In fact none of my GE stuff has ever given me a problem but I have never had their refrigerators or dishwashers. If you like the look of this range then you should be pleased. The freestanding induction range has incredible reviews.

o

Great Thread! DW and I are thinking about going with an induction range on our new build. We were considering the Elux 30 inch slide-in...DW really likes their oven with the roll-out racks. But after reading this thread, the new GE sounds pretty good. Does the GE come with any roll-out racks or are they the standard slide out?

o

I asked GE whether the WB48T10082 racks will fit in my PHB925STSS free-standing induction range. Their answer: "Since the oven is convection, you will need to order part number WB48T10033 for the self clean racks. Part WB48T10082 is for the non-convection models."

DCRanger, my range has all slide-out racks.

o

That's odd, because mine (same model) came with two slide out racks and one roll out (the bottom of the three in the photo I posted above).

o

I have the PHB925STSS free-standing model, not the slide-in.

o

Here is what I asked GE last week:

"When I saw the first GE Induction free-standing model PHB925SP a year ago, I was glad to see that it came with enamel coated oven racks that could stay in the over during the self-clean mode. But the newer free-standing PHB925ST and slide-in PHS925ST have the shiny nickel racks that must be removed when using the self-clean mode. Why did GE stop using the enamel racks in the newer ranges that could be left in the oven? If I were to buy the slide-in induction range PHS925ST, and ordered the enamel racks separate (WB48T10082), would those racks fit in the oven?"

This is GE's answer:

"Hi this is Cindy from GE and I'll be happy to help you with this. It's funny you asked this question , just last week we had training on our new range products and the trainer talked about the self-clean racks. He said that consumers preferred the look of the shiny nickel racks over the self-clean racks, so we are going back to those , we really do take consumer feedback seriously and the shiny racks were much preferred. However I'm with you. I'd rather have the more practical self-clean racks. I did check with our product engineers about whether the WB48T10082 racks would fit the new induction ranges. He said that they would fit the PHB925SPSS. If you decide you'd like to order them, you may do so by calling our Parts Center at 1-800-626-2002, Monday-Friday 8am-7pm EDT and Saturdays, 8:30am-5pm (closed on Sundays). They'll be happy to order the racks for you. Thanks again for visiting our website"

o
phs925stss

suburbanmd,

See my post above.
All the GE Induction ranges (free-standing PHB925SP and PHB925ST, and the slide-in PHS925ST) have convection ovens. The difference is that last years model (PHB925SP) had the enamel coated racks (WB48T10082) that could stay in the oven during the self-clean mode, but the newer ranges (free-standing PHB925ST and slide-in PHS925ST) have nickle racks that have to be removed. GE says that you can order the WB48T10082 racks and they would fit in the newer PHB925ST and PHS925ST.

You can see in this picture of the PHS925ST that it has two standard nickel racks and one (on the bottom) that is on rollers.

Photobucket

For me, my older GE Profile range has a convection oven and all the racks are nickle. They are a pain to clean and always look messy from splatters that you can't get off. I'd buy the enamel coated WB48T10082 racks so they are darker in color and can be used in the self-clean mode.

o

The specs for this oven says it has 5.2 cu. ft of total capacity. Does anyone know what the capacity is for just the upper oven? Thanks.

o

The spec is for the convection oven alone. And it's interesting - when I was researching this a few months ago the specs I found said it was a 5.6 CF oven, now they say 5.3 (not 5.2).

The lower "oven" is just a warming drawer. We just use it for storing pot lids.

o

saltimbocca, if you have the time, could you please take a look at the thread below, and see if your oven does the same thing as mine? The controls on the slide-in look the same as on the free-standing, just in a different place. Preheat it to 350, wait a while for the temperature to stabilize, then reset it to 400 and see what the display says. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0322142622447.html?4

o

By request - a picture of my revised install with the strip of counter behind the range removed to allow me to push it back flush to the wall.

My previous range had side flanges that came all the way to the front of the counter, while this one does not, leaving me with gaps on both sides, front and rear. I solved this by adjusting the height of the cooktop to about 3/16" above the actual counter height, and installing trim strips of wood lath that I painted gloss black. Looks OK for an amateur, I think.

Photobucket

o
RE: GE Profile Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS (another view)

Back to the wall!

Photobucket

o

Saltimbocca, this looks nice. Thanks for the pictures and description.

o

That looks better with it pushed flush to the back wall and the rear counter strip gone. Are those wood strips you added running below the cooktop's left & right edge? I see them on the front sides next to the control panel, and a little on the back next to the rear stainless vent.

My concern is that I have a counter draw at a 90 degree angle to the right of my stove, in the location of where your handle is on the right of the picture. When I open the drawer, it comes very close to hitting the door handle on the oven, maybe like 1/4". I hope this induction one would fit OK, so that opening the counter drawer wouldn't hit the oven handle.

Now that you've used it for a while, how do you like it? Are there any quirks or things that you don't like or wish were different?

o

I signed up for this site JUST so I could post and say "thanks" for this very-helpful thread! :-)
I'd been considering getting this range, even though I bought a radiant-top GE range only a year ago. (I just couldn't STAND the slow-to-cool radiant burners -- the slow-to-cool ceramic on top of the burner, technically, and gas isn't available on my street.)
It was great to read saltimbocca's review and see the photos. This range costs about twice what I spent on the previous GE, and who knows how much I'll be able to get from selling the old one. But when I found myself using an induction HOT-PLATE more than I used the radiant burners I figured I needed to just take the loss and be happy. ;-)

o

@suburbanmd - interesting, now that you mention it I did notice last week when I was doing a roast duck recipe that starts out at 300 and then finishes at 350, when I turned off the 300 degree oven and turned it back on at 350, the temperature readout immediately said 350. I recall thinking that was a bit odd but it didn't worry me much, and in the end the duck was cooked perfectly so I don't think the actual temperature was off. Still, it is odd, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. If you find out anything more from GE or your service tech please post here and let us know.

@ fauguy - other than that, I have no complaints about the range as such. It's been over a month and it's still fun to cook on and a breeze to clean up. The only thing I've found annoying is the fact that almost every type of pan I use except cast iron seems to buzz a bit from the magnetic field oscillation. Some of the worst offenders in that regard are my All-Clad skillets. Fortunately, I have a lot of old Le Creuset enameled CI, which is blissfully silent. And yes, the wood strips I added run below the cooktop edges. The cooktop extends 1/2" or so out on either side of the main range body, and as I mentioned I raised the range just enough to fit them underneath it.

o
RE: GE Profile Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS-

One other thing fauguy - as you can see from the photo, I also have a drawer that opens at a 90 degree angle to the range, and before I moved it back flush to the wall I couldn't open that drawer more than a few inches (which is why I went to the trouble of removing the back counter strip, aesthetically it didn't bother me). Now it opens fully, no problem.

By my measurement, the center of the bow-shaped oven handle is about 29 3/8" out from the wall.

o

Thanks for the measurements. I'll have to measure mine and see how far the current oven handle is from the rear wall.

For Christmas I purchased a set of Emerilware Pro-Clad cook ware from BedBathBeyond, which says it's made by All-Clad. It is dishwasher safe and is magnetic for induction. My old T-Fal set was from 1998 and the nonstick coating has been coming off for the past few years. I figured if I was going to buy a new set, go with one that would work with induction. Now I'm wondering how much of a buzzing sound it may make. It's has two layers of stainless with one layer of aluminum sandwiched in the middle. It does cook well on my radiant heat, and gets hot faster than the T-Fal did. The set was $300 (minus 20% off) and included a free bonus 12" skillet that is normally $90 separate.

On my GE Profile free standing range from 1998, if I set it to 300, and then later raise it to 350, it would say 312 was the current temp and will start to go up from there.

o

What would be your counter-top measurement from from point A to B in the picture below? Mine is 26". Also the distance from point A to edge of by stove door's handle is 28.5". The distance from point A to the drawer that opens is 28.75". That's why I said there is currently only 1/4" space between my oven door's handle and the drawer that opens.

o

A to B on my counter is a nominal 26" (25 7/8" to be precise). I mentioned earlier that the inner edge of my drawer is about 5" from the corner, but that's the cabinet corner; the counter overhangs the wood cabinetry by about an inch, meaning the drawer edge is 4" in from the counter corner, or 30" from the wall.

When I open the drawer fully there is about 1/4" clearance between it and the oven handle - but at full extension it only comes about 2/5 of the way across the handle. If it came all the way out to the center of the handle, it looks like it would just about touch it.

o

I scheduled a service visit, but then decided to cancel it and look into the matter further. Last thing I want is to have a technician swapping parts, in an effort to fix something that can't be fixed.

The dealer, when I described the display behavior, said he suspects it's a quirk or "feature" in how the software handles raising the oven temperature, and isn't worth worrying about. This guy has been fixing appliances for 40 years and knows his stuff (but GE uses their own technicians for warranty work in my area, so I can't have him look at the issue under warranty).

GE Support says they have nothing listed for this issue (I know, we've all heard that before...). Since my oven and saltimbocca's oven do the same thing, it probably isn't a sample defect. Current GE Profile regular electric ranges, non-induction, would presumably act the same.

All said, since the oven seems to be working properly, I'm not going to pursue it. I have until warranty expiration in January 2013 to change my mind.

o

I just installed a GE slide in induction. I had the counter strip (about 2 inch wide) behind the range. I left the stip there. Personally I liked the look. I asked GE about the reason for sliding it back to the wall and they said it was because of the anti tip device. (you could just mount the anti tip to the floor) In any regard I did not install the anti tip. No kids around. Bought the range from sears, about $2300 including tax and tip.

Just my 2 cents.

o

RJAS,

Thanks for letting us know. Was your last range a slide-in, which is why you had the rear counter filler strip?

If you can, please post a picture of how the GE looks in your kitchen.

o

The anti-tip device is less about kids and more about cooking a large roast or turkey. Pull the rack out to baste the turkey and the whole stove tips forward.

o

I thought the anti-tip was only for kids. We've been using a GE Profile free-standing range for about 9 years and use it every day. Never had any issues with it tipping with a large roast or turkey when pulling the oven rack out.

o

Well, here we are so far. Once we get the sides positioned lower and caulked in - and figure out how to protect the back to prevent junk from falling behind the oven, I will post again.

I LOVE this appliance, despite its fit issues.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas.

o

Why are you going to caulk the sides? It's not shown in the installation manual...and might void the warranty?

o

I don't know about the GE --check the install manual -- but the Electrolux slide in says NOT to let the edges of the oven rest on the countertop.

o

Hmmm... Will read the manual and talk to GC. We are trying to avoid debris from falling down the sides. First hour after install, I spilled dog food on the counter and a few pieces slide right in. Should have won a prize or something...

o

it is ok for edge to sit on the counter-top...its not ok for the counter-top to support the edge (stove) ...the legs and wheels support the stove...

o

Makes sense luv2putt...thanks

o

I called around this week and still can't find anyone local that has one on display in a store. The lowest price I found was $2500 as a special order.

o

I've noticed that my front right burner is almost always jumping up to 'H' (high) all by itself within the first 5 minutes of being on. I will set it commonly to '5' and then suddenly hear the pan sizzling or humming, and then notice it jumped to 'H'. I'm not touching it, as often I'm not even next to the stove.

I think I may need to call GE, but has this happened to anyone else? It has happened from the beginning...I just thought I was bumping it up by accident. It now happens regularly and I know it isn't me.

Hmmm.

o

In case anyone else needs to know this - GE does not have shabbat mode. Electrolux does.

o

AnnaA,

I'd say give GE a call and have a tech come out. Hopefully it will do it while they are there. Most likely would have to change out the touch control panel and board.
Does it do it for any pot/pan that you use on the front right burner, or only one pan? (They might try to say it's the brand of cookware causing the problem).

o

I thought of that and have had it happen with my lighter non stick and my heavier carbon steel...and both of them are just the right size.

Thanks...yes, I will be calling GE.

o

Please keep us updated if they are able to repair/fix the problem.

o

Will do. Won't be able to call till Wednesday though.
Thanks!

o

For those who have been using this induction range, how bad is the induction buzzing? I just saw a recent review on the GE site that said it was so loud when the burner was set to 4 or lower (simmer) that they had to return the unit. But this person didn't mention which brand of cookwear they are using.

o

The buzzing is only there at 6 or higher, and then very mild. Hard to hear it if the pan contents are sizzling or bubbling away. I use a variety, from Le C to carbon steel, to SS induction non stick. The sound is actually kind of fun, in an off beat way, not annoying at all.

Few appts this morning and then will be calling about my faulty front right burner.

o

Just wondering if someone was coming out to check the issue with the front burner?

o

GE is coming out Tuesday, 5/29. I'll let you know the diagnosis and treatment.

I was reading on some appliance consumer sight that stoves / ranges with touch pads vs knobs are more vulnerable to problems as knobs are more reliable, less prone to performance failure. It makes me a bit concerned. I lock my touch pad whenever it is off, and wonder if pressure put on it when cleaning could hurt the controls over time??

o

We got the freestanding version in December and love it! The buzzing has been minimal. I wanted to get the slide in model when we redo the kitchen sometime in the next year, but the old electric stove started popping fuses in addition to little shocks, so we went ahead and replaced it. I was too chicken to attempt a slide in given all the surprises we have found with stuff being nonstandard in this house. I was so afraid the stove and dishwasher wouldn't fit!

o

Both the free-standing and slide-in models have a glass covered control panel and use the same capacitive touch-screen technology that is used on modern smartphones. A small electric charge is sent through the top layer, and when you press your finger on it, it disrupts the electric field, and the location is identified and mapped to the corresponding button. That is why it is my guess that either the control pad and/or main board is defective. I would also have the replace the induction burner on the front right, since it could be defective. That way with those new parts, it would most likely solve the issue. If the problem is with the glass touch pad, it may happen again in the future, so keep that in mind, as I've seen issues with smartphone touch screens over the years. A better choice could be if GE used old fashion dials (which wouldn't look modern), or had pressure sensitive buttons like what is used on most microwaves.

o

William, it is my understanding that GE designed the induction slide-in model as a direct fit replacement that would fit in a standard free-standing range space. I currently have a GE Profile free-standing radiant range, and would rather replace it with the slide-in induction instead of the free-standing model. It looks more modern,has the controls in the front for easier access, and would no longer cover up that portion of our granite backsplash.

o

Counter height is somewhat critical for the slide-in, unlike the free-standing.

o

I'm a bit embarrassed to post as I do not know part names, but I promised an update...

GE came out today and they were wonderful. The front right burner had been doing its thing all weekend - turning onto 'High' all by itself, whether on already or not. Only guarantee to keep it off High was to make sure I never leave a pan on it, lock the control panel when not cooking, and babysit whatever I'm cooking on that burner.

Of course it behaved itself while the technician was here. But, he believed me, just the same. He ordered 3 parts (here's where the apology comes in). He's going to replace the entire front control panel, all burner elements as he described that they are interconnected, and some central controlling device for the entire oven. I shared fauguy's post, and he said yes, and we'll replace one more item, that central control device. Once I get the parts via FedEx, I'll be more exact.

Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted.

o

Since all these parts "work together", it's sometimes hard to track down where the exact cause of the problem is. That's why I suggested it's best to replace all those items, as you have a higher chances of getting the problem fixed the 1st time...instead of multiple repairs where they would replace 1 part at a time until it is fixed. Hopefully, once the parts arrive and they come back to install them, that solves the problem. But just in case, did you get an extended warranty?
If you have time, please post some pictures of the parts that get delivered. It would be interesting to see what they look like.

o

Fauguy, while I REALLY wanted the slide in, the ONLY thing I have found that is a standard size in this house seems to be the heater vents! I had read the install guide for the electrolux and got very scared. I was convinced something would go wrong, and as it was we couldn't install the OTR MW we ordered. If I had a little extra time, I might have been able to be more rational. Or if I had spent more time here. I was just at the point then where I started to notice most of the useful info I found was here, but unfortunately hadn't realized the full extent of these forums.

I'm just thrilled with the induction. And I have something to look forward to next time :-)

o

Will do fauguy. The tech here today said, "Wait till you see what's underneath when they open this thing up", referring to the network of parts. I'll be sure to get pics of the operation as well.

And, he offered me a 5 year warranty that starts after our current 2 year warranty, and I gladly accepted. :-) it was about $60/yr...felt worth it as I don't want to replace this oven for a very long time!

o

Williamsem - You seem to also be interested in the electrolux. I had mine installed a few days ago.
Installation took an hour because they had to remove my downdraft system from my previous stove. All went smoothly and I absolutely love the range. I bought new cookware -Emeril from Macy's and have no buzzing issues. When talking about induction most people only talk about the burners so I want to add that this range bakes beautifully and the oven has some great features - slide out racks, proof mode for bread, time bake, a small oven, and a well lit blue enamel interior. Only downside is the black top gets dusty (its under two skylights) and I have to clean it every day. Also the vent is in the front and blows hot air for about 45 minutes after it has been shut off. I think the vent is better placed on the GE - but I love the way this range cooks and bakes!!

o

I'm confused about the warranty you got. Where did you get the 2 year from (the store) and then an extra 5 year from GE for $60? I know that when I got my GE Profile radiant heat range back in 2002, it was $1600 and the 5 year warranty from the store was like another $120. After I registered the product with GE, they sent me a paper wanting me to buy their warranty, and it was like $600 for 5 years. Was the repair guy from GE (would say GE on their shirt) or was it a 3rd party, like A&E that Sears uses?

o

We got our oven thru HD, and purchased a 2 yr warranty. The GE guy had GE ID. He explained that GE sold their extended warranty service to Advantium... Hope I got that name right. The sale was with the stipulation that GE services all GE products insured via A.

The warranty was 60-something per year, not total, for 300+ total...just don't have the receipt handy. It covers all but scratches, dents, light bulbs, etc. with all the circuitry in this thing, figure I can't go wrong.

Hope that makes sense.

o

My only experience with GE warranty is from 2006-07. We had our kitchen remodel done in 06 and had purchased a GE profile dishwasher to match the range and microwave we got in 02. We had many issues with the GE dishwasher during the 1st year of factory warranty, and each time I called the 800-GE-CARES number, they sent out a GE tech that only services GE-made appliances.

That's why I was curious as to whom GE sent out for repair, since it's still covered under factory warranty.

When I had purchased the GE stove and microwave in 02, and the dishwasher in 06, I got the 5 year warranty from the dealer, since it is a good price. Then once I registered the product with GE, they send out a letter wanting you to buy their warranty, but it's about 3X the price. KitchenAid did the same thing when I registered the fridge in 06.

With my financial conditions right now and alot going on, it won't be until next year at the earliest that we'd buy this induction range. Maybe by then, the price my lower some, and some local stores will finally have one on display, since no one does yet. But in preparation of eventually going to induction, when I purchased a new cookwear set last Christmas, I went with the Emril ProClad set, as it is induction ready. My old set of pans (T-Fal) had needed to be replaced for several years, and being non-magnetic would not work on induction.

o

I bought the Elux. I had to have my granite counter ground out. I had five repairs in three months . The store was nice enough to exchange it. I got the GE induction but now I have the same issue that my front burner jumps to high.

Also GE sent me the powder coated racks and they do not fit. I actually have about 10 extra racks for sale ( long story....GE rep couldn't get it right)

o

The part number on the enamel racks from last years free-standing induction range is WB48T10082. Is that the one you ordered, but doesn't fit in the slide-in model.

o

smv81261 - What happened with your electrolux? I just bought mine and so far
have been happy with it - but its only a week. Did you have to have the granite ground out for repairs or for the GE? If I were in your shoes, I would be quite upset about the granite. Does the granite look ok now?

o

So now two people (AnnaA and smv81261) are having the issue with the front right burner going to HI on its own.

AnnA, did they ever install the new parts that were ordered?

o

Any update on the repair fix for the front right burner?

o

Fauguy, I believe you live in South Florida. I saw the GE slide-in induction range installed in a kitchen display at House of Appliances in Delray Beach.

o

Yeah, House of Appliances was one of the places I went to a few years ago when looking at Miele dishwashers. It a big place with a lot on display. About 15 minutes from me, I could stop there sometime and take a look at it.

Thanks.

o
GE Profile Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS

I bought the slide in induction range in March. I initially had concerns with the strength of the cooling fan for the electronics due to a bad experience with another range, but don't notice the fan at all on the GE. I LOVE this range! The induction is superb--boils water very quickly and the low settings are really low. The size of the elements are really useful. We have cast iron skillets and pots so only bought 2 new mid size pots. At first the oven took a long time to heat up. We called GE service. While the service man was here, the problem magically stopped and since then, the oven heats up quickly enough (I often preheat by starting the broiler to hasten the process). I worried that we would scratch the finish of the range top easily and that the surface would be hard to clean. Not true! This range has exceeded my expectations. My only complaint is that the edges of the range top are not as sleek as they could be. But that is a small concern compared to the great performance of the range overall.

o

We bought the GE PHS925STSS about 2 months ago - I could not stand the lack of temp control with radiant elements and propane (rural area) too expensive for gas range. Anyway, so far we really, really like it. One concern we have however:
We have used the oven only a few times and after we turn the oven off the oven seems to stay hot for quite a while - i.e., when we open the door hot air seems to blow out for a while to the point we thought the oven might still be on despite it being turned off. Is this normal? This range replaced a really, really, really old oven so we do not have much experience with how a new range should work re venting after off. Baked fine, just seemed that the oven stayed hot and vented for a while longer than expected - I wonder if there is a fan that stays on for a while to vent the heat after it is turned off?? Thoughts?

o

zacman - If your GE is replacing a really, really old oven, it is most likely staying warmer/hotter longer because the newer ovens are much better insulated than older ones.

o

Can anyone please tell me how long it took for that horrible "new oven smell" to finally disappear?

o

I have the freestanding version of the subject range. Running a self-clean cycle helped get rid of the new oven smell.

o

Thanks, I guess if we want to cook in our new oven we are going to have to do the same.

o

Did AnnaA and smv81261 get the issue with the front right burner going to HI on its own fixed? Are they satisfied with the repair? I am planning on purchasing a slide-in induction range and am very interested in their experience.

Thank you for all the information you provide.

o

we've got one on order and run into a hiccup with the installation folks.

our current slide-in draws ~ 45A at 240V (according to the manufacturer's label) and is on a 50A/240V circuit. my installation folks want to replace the 50A breaker with a 40A breaker.

is this advisable?? i'm a bit leery of down rating the breaker if i ever need to goto another appliance which calls for 50A like the electolux induction slide-in.

o

No need to mess with the electrical set-up unless there is something physically wrong with either the breaker or if the original wiring is wrong (e.g., too light a guage of wire for the amp rating.) Otherwise the 40A spec in the installation and manual for the GE stoves is a minimum specification, not the mandatory one and certainly not a maximum spec.

Here's another practical reason not to go to a lower rated breaker. If you are cooking Thankgiving dinner with the convection roast going and all four burners on high, and using that warming burner, you could trip a 40A breaker. That would be unnecessarily annoying and a major inconvenience.

o

Can you get some reason why your installation folks suggested replacing the breaker? It might be helpful to know...

o

The GE PHS925STSS spec sheet calls for a 40 amp breaker. That is what I would install without further input.

However, the spec sheet also says 12.2kW power rating at 240V, which is 50.8 amperes.

If it were mine, I would contact GE so that they could try to explain why the rating is 12.2kW, but the recommended breaker limits it to 9.6kW If using the broiler while using 3 burner high, you could exceed 9.6kW.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE PHS925STSS Spec

o

Chac_moool is correct. Get an explanation from the installers.

Just to clarify for you, what I meant about "too light a gauge of wire" is this. If the cable to your stove outlet is AWG-8 ("8 gauge wire) then that you have wire rated for up to 40 Amps and the 50 Amp breaker needs to be swapped out. If you have AWG-6 cable ("6-guage"), then the 50 amp breaker does not need to be changed unless there is something else wrong with it. So, if the installers start talking about wire gauges, that's what you need to know.

o

The installers went over the installation manual and maintained the 50 amp wiring and cord as per the manual. still have only gotten a few test runs with the new stove but it looks like the installers will have to come back and remove the old filler piece from the old slide in so that the LG OTR Microwave with extendable hook can draw all the fumes from the big front hob. It just needs to go back about 1.5 inches to capture everything from a furiously boiling pot of water. Controls seem much more sensitive than my old kitchen aid ceramic. Very interesting cooking bacon with paper towel under and around the pan and not having to worry about splatter

o

Icubed,
The GE Induction slide-in was designed not to be used with a rear filler strip. If you look earlier in this thread, someone posted pics of it with a filler strip, and then with it removed.

o

Absolutely agree that the filler strip is not necessary.. In fact, the estimator put in a line item for the removal. I wasn't there during the actual install, but somehow, the installers decided not to cut the filler piece out

o

Please let us know if you also have the issue that was posted in here a few months ago that people noticed the large right burner would turn up to High by itself.

o

Happy with the stove so far. The vent works far better now that the filler piece has been removed and stove slid all the way back.

I'm looking for comments on the slow cook mode of the oven.
How well does it work ? Any tips on converting slow cooker recipes for slow cook mode in this oven?

o

Icubed,

Have you had an issue with the front right burner going from low to high by its self like a couple other people on here posted? Hopefully that's not a wide spread problem, or can be fixed under warranty.

o

no sign of the front right hob going to H under it's own direction

o

I have to say this is one of the best threads around. Thanks to all the folks who have answered so many questions!

We were just looking at one of these slide in induction ranges at an appliance store yesterday and we were very impressed. Most of the online reviews have nothing but good things to say with one exception.

I've read that when the induction burners are set to a heat of 4 or less, they make a loud constant clicking sound. Can someone confirm if that's true? It might just be the deal breaker for me. I'm going to see if the appliance store can show us the model plugged in, but until then don't have a way to confirm this.

Thanks in advance!!

o

mine certainly doesn't do that.
i was making chicken stock a couple of weeks ago.

5 hours at level 1 on the big burner in a 8 qt cuisinart multi clad pro stock pot with a pasta insert. no clicking.

o

mine certainly doesn't do that.
i was making chicken stock a couple of weeks ago.

5 hours at level 1 on the big burner in a 8 qt cuisinart multi clad pro stock pot with a pasta insert. no clicking.

o

We have had this induction range for about 5-6 months now. I too had read some reviews here and there about there being a buzzing or clicking and was concerned but went ahead and bought it as I wanted induction and the precise temp control. I have not had any issue with loud buzzing at all. At times I can hear a faint buzzing - no clicking but I really have to listen to hear it and don't notice it now - it is either not there, is too faint, or I am used to it.
Also, you have to be right there at the cooktop to hear it and I usually don't stand there all the time I am preparing something. My wife also uses the cooktop, of course, and she has never mentioned any buzzing or clicking to me. Based on my experience I would not let that issue deter you. I absolutely love the precise temp control. Our prior cooktop was a flat surface radiant heat type and I hated it that you would turn down the heat but it stayed hot for a very long time and the only way to control things was to simply move the pot off the burner. We could not get a gas range (which has rather precise temp control as well) because we live in the mountains and are on propane which is much more expensive than natural gas.

o

lcubed, are you saying that level 1 is an actual simmer rather than just a warm?

o

Wheelieking: A follow up. Regarding a clicking sound, I do recall a while back we would hear a clicking and the light/setting would flicker. I discovered that the pan I was using was not flat on the bottom and thus was not making full or constant contact with the surface. I took the pan back (Bed Bath and Beyond) and they immediately recognized it was warped and they replaced it. No clicking now with that replacement pan or any of our other pans. So, if anyone does have any pronounced clicking they might want to see if the pan they are using is flat - I have learned that it is important that the pan bottom is flat.

o

WheelieKing:

1. You've read that all induction cooktops and stoves click loudly at heat settings below 4? Mind giving us the link where you read that?

I ask because when I was stove shopping last fall and researched the GE slide-in, I found no reports about anything like clicking at low power levels. I did find a report about clicking in an oven in one PHB925, the freestanding induction stove, but that was a warranty problem about the oven and had nothing to do with the induction burners.

2. Are you, perhaps, referring to this thread and the youtube video it links to?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0115401923068.html?18

That thread is about a kitchenaid cooktop. Are you thinking that KA is part of GE? Not so. KA is part of Whirlpool, not GE. Don't know if KA/WP are outsourcing their induction units or producing then in-house, and don't know if the KA unit in the video is a lemon or if the whole KA line is prone to problems. There are a couple of GW members who have reported noise issues with their KA induction cooktops but nothing like what is in the video. Seems like a defective unit. You will note, however, that this thread is about the GE slide-in and nobody has reported any such problem with either the slide-in or the freestanding version, the PHB925. I saw a demo of PHB925 when it came out three years ago. Same induction units as on the slide-in being discussed in this thread. No clicking of any kind.

3. I've cooked on induction off and on over three decades, both here and abroad. Never cooked on Kitcheaid induction cooktop (or even seen one, actually). On the other induction units I've used in the past (Kenmore, Bosch, Brandt, Iwatani, Cooktek etc.) I've never run into anything even remotely like like what can be heard in the youtube video about the KA cooktop.

4. Do you live in or near a major metro area? If so, I strongly recommend you find a showroom where you can see an induction unit used and find out if you hear that kind of clicking. Maybe you will hear something the rest of us do not. If so, induction is not for you.

5. I see that this is your first post here. Since you are new, maybe you don't yet know that there are two search boxes. Use the one at the bottom of the page. Try searching on "induction + ge + clicking" and "induction + noise." You won't find any about ge ranges clicking but you will find some discussions of humming at high power settings on some other brands. Sometimes it was cookware, sometimes something else and sometimes it seemed endemic to the particular unit and installation.

6. If you cannot get to a demo, try looking at other videos. For example, Gary Dodge, a long time GW member, has posted extensively about his Electrolux induction cooktop and has a YouTube video of it in use for cooking breakfast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQ9nNA7_2c

o

with a the amount in the pot and partially covered, level 1 was a simmer.
probably would not have been a simmer in an uncovered pot with a larger liquid volume.

(in my book, 1 to 2 bubbles per second is a simmer, YMMV)

o

Thanks, lcubed.

o

First of all, many thanks to 1cubed, writersblock, JWVideo, zacman44 for such quick responses! I've Google searched my way into this forum many times, but never needed to comment or ask questions until now. I do have to say though that the content has always been top notch, and everyone is very helpful! Hopefully I can give back some time!

The general feedback here though definitely calms the nerves! In reponse to JWVideo; I actually came across a few reviews specifically for the GE Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS, but didn't see any video demos of the issue which is why I asked here, given that there were actual owners who had been living with it commenting on it.

Zacman44 comments that flat bottom pans made a difference. Thinking about it, that makes total sense. We'll be getting a new cookset, so I'll make sure to keep an eye out for that.

We're in Seattle, and the appliance company (Albert Lee Appliance) has been helpful in the past, so I'll see if they can get it set up to test before we drop the cash for it. I've seen a few other live demos of induction ranges and they look amazing, which is why we are excited to try it out.

Again, many thanks for all the helpful comments and seriously quick replies!!

I'll post any updates I have when we make the purchase and install one.

Thanks!

o

I can't tell you how excited I am to have found this site! I have been looking at several different slide in ranges. I can tell you it is draining! Especially when you live in a small town that only has slide ins on display at Lowes, both of which are Frigidaire. I had helped my neighbor pick out a freestanding electrolux wave touch range and she loves it, so I had been looking at the slide in version. I wanted to have a larger oven than the 4.2 cubic ft but had not found anything bigger then 4.6 cubic ft. Then I found the PHS925STSS and I was in love! Bye bye electrolux, hello GE Profile! Love the size, the control panel and how it goes all the way to the wall (big deal for me!)

Thanks to all of you I can see great pictures of how it fits and looks. Also the tips about changing out the racks!! Thank you! I will keep following this thread to get updates! Now I just need to find a great deal on it! Lowest I can find is $2900 on sale. Not sure how AnnaA got it for $2300 but I can only dream to come as close to her great deal!!!
Thanks again!!

o

Anna bought hers a while back, that's how.

Prices have gone up over the last year. IIRC, AJ Madison had the PHS925 discounted to around $2350 through the first half of the year. Others (such as Lowe's) were selling it for around $2500-$2600. Close to Labor Day, GE bumped its wholesale and list prices. The MSRP price went to $3197 (matching the Electrolux slide-in induction, I guess). Since then, pretty much everybody seems to have them discounted to only $2900 even for holiday weekend sales.

o

Great! I guess I am a day late and a dollar short for that sale price! No seriously, more like six months late, dang! ;-) Won't stop me from buying it, although I may shop around more places trying to get a good price!

This post was edited by Lvssushi on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 14:11

o

I personally am holding out to see if there is going to be a newer model. This one had been out for almost 2 years now, so my thinking is that within the next year (2013-14) they should have a new version - that could be an "improvement" over this current model. AnnaA and a few others had to replace their control panel due to it going to High on its own. Even though the replacement fixed it, I'd like to wait for the 2nd generation unit before I spend this amount of money on one.

I deal with electronic stuff all day, and I've found it's usually best to wait for the 2nd-3rd generation before buying, so all the bugs/issues get worked out.

o

I, too, am having the control panel replaced on my GE slide-in induction range, but not because a hob is going to high on its own. Rather, my dh pointed out that the touch pad part of the control panel on the right side has separated from the stainless trim, and using any pressure at all on the touch pad leaves a gap between the pad and the trim. When the repair person comes back to replace it, I am going to have him check the oven, too, as I think the oven temperature is not accurate; I think the actual temp is lower than the one selected and displayed, based on actual baking times--and when I change the temperature setting when the oven is already on, within a minute it beeps to indicate the new temperature has been reached. Lastly, I noticed the warming drawer is warped, takes some monkeying around to get it to close evenly.
I love cooking on induction and even with these issues, this range is light-years better than what I had before...but I think quality control needs to wake up. FWIW, we've been using the range for 4-5 months.

o

That is a good point. Although the other part of that is there may be issues in the new version's "improvements", but that is the chance you take I guess! Do you know if historically there is a season that GE introduces their new products? I can wait for my new range but I am one who likes timelines!

o

re finding a good deal on this range (and on other appliances) check out Goedeckers on line. I think I got it for between $2,300 and $2,400. It will take about two weeks for delivery but it was the best price I could find at the time - which was I think in June 2012. This was the first time I bought anything from them and came across their name when searching for this range.
Re the range itself, we still love it - like the speed, like the precise temp controls, and easy to clean surface.

o

Interesting. Goedecker's has it "on sale" today for $2398.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here