Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fauguy

GE Profile Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS

fauguy
12 years ago

This really looks nice! I might wait for this PHS925STSS slide-in Induction instead of going with the GE Induction free-standing model (PHB925STSS/PHB925SPSS).

Here is a link that might be useful: http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=PHS925STSS

Comments (150)

• williamsem
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fauguy, while I REALLY wanted the slide in, the ONLY thing I have found that is a standard size in this house seems to be the heater vents! I had read the install guide for the electrolux and got very scared. I was convinced something would go wrong, and as it was we couldn't install the OTR MW we ordered. If I had a little extra time, I might have been able to be more rational. Or if I had spent more time here. I was just at the point then where I started to notice most of the useful info I found was here, but unfortunately hadn't realized the full extent of these forums.

I'm just thrilled with the induction. And I have something to look forward to next time :-)

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Will do fauguy. The tech here today said, "Wait till you see what's underneath when they open this thing up", referring to the network of parts. I'll be sure to get pics of the operation as well.

And, he offered me a 5 year warranty that starts after our current 2 year warranty, and I gladly accepted. :-) it was about $60/yr...felt worth it as I don't want to replace this oven for a very long time!

• elyash
    11 years ago

Williamsem - You seem to also be interested in the electrolux. I had mine installed a few days ago.
    Installation took an hour because they had to remove my downdraft system from my previous stove. All went smoothly and I absolutely love the range. I bought new cookware -Emeril from Macy's and have no buzzing issues. When talking about induction most people only talk about the burners so I want to add that this range bakes beautifully and the oven has some great features - slide out racks, proof mode for bread, time bake, a small oven, and a well lit blue enamel interior. Only downside is the black top gets dusty (its under two skylights) and I have to clean it every day. Also the vent is in the front and blows hot air for about 45 minutes after it has been shut off. I think the vent is better placed on the GE - but I love the way this range cooks and bakes!!

• fauguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm confused about the warranty you got. Where did you get the 2 year from (the store) and then an extra 5 year from GE for $60? I know that when I got my GE Profile radiant heat range back in 2002, it was $1600 and the 5 year warranty from the store was like another $120. After I registered the product with GE, they sent me a paper wanting me to buy their warranty, and it was like $600 for 5 years. Was the repair guy from GE (would say GE on their shirt) or was it a 3rd party, like A&E that Sears uses?

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

We got our oven thru HD, and purchased a 2 yr warranty. The GE guy had GE ID. He explained that GE sold their extended warranty service to Advantium... Hope I got that name right. The sale was with the stipulation that GE services all GE products insured via A.

The warranty was 60-something per year, not total, for 300+ total...just don't have the receipt handy. It covers all but scratches, dents, light bulbs, etc. with all the circuitry in this thing, figure I can't go wrong.

Hope that makes sense.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My only experience with GE warranty is from 2006-07. We had our kitchen remodel done in 06 and had purchased a GE profile dishwasher to match the range and microwave we got in 02. We had many issues with the GE dishwasher during the 1st year of factory warranty, and each time I called the 800-GE-CARES number, they sent out a GE tech that only services GE-made appliances.

That's why I was curious as to whom GE sent out for repair, since it's still covered under factory warranty.

When I had purchased the GE stove and microwave in 02, and the dishwasher in 06, I got the 5 year warranty from the dealer, since it is a good price. Then once I registered the product with GE, they send out a letter wanting you to buy their warranty, but it's about 3X the price. KitchenAid did the same thing when I registered the fridge in 06.

With my financial conditions right now and alot going on, it won't be until next year at the earliest that we'd buy this induction range. Maybe by then, the price my lower some, and some local stores will finally have one on display, since no one does yet. But in preparation of eventually going to induction, when I purchased a new cookwear set last Christmas, I went with the Emril ProClad set, as it is induction ready. My old set of pans (T-Fal) had needed to be replaced for several years, and being non-magnetic would not work on induction.

• smv81261
    11 years ago

I bought the Elux. I had to have my granite counter ground out. I had five repairs in three months . The store was nice enough to exchange it. I got the GE induction but now I have the same issue that my front burner jumps to high.

Also GE sent me the powder coated racks and they do not fit. I actually have about 10 extra racks for sale ( long story....GE rep couldn't get it right)

• fauguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The part number on the enamel racks from last years free-standing induction range is WB48T10082. Is that the one you ordered, but doesn't fit in the slide-in model.

• elyash
    11 years ago

smv81261 - What happened with your electrolux? I just bought mine and so far
    have been happy with it - but its only a week. Did you have to have the granite ground out for repairs or for the GE? If I were in your shoes, I would be quite upset about the granite. Does the granite look ok now?

• fauguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So now two people (AnnaA and smv81261) are having the issue with the front right burner going to HI on its own.

AnnA, did they ever install the new parts that were ordered?

• fauguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any update on the repair fix for the front right burner?

• cata3
    11 years ago

Fauguy, I believe you live in South Florida. I saw the GE slide-in induction range installed in a kitchen display at House of Appliances in Delray Beach.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, House of Appliances was one of the places I went to a few years ago when looking at Miele dishwashers. It a big place with a lot on display. About 15 minutes from me, I could stop there sometime and take a look at it.

Thanks.

• cafbldr
    11 years ago

I bought the slide in induction range in March. I initially had concerns with the strength of the cooling fan for the electronics due to a bad experience with another range, but don't notice the fan at all on the GE. I LOVE this range! The induction is superb--boils water very quickly and the low settings are really low. The size of the elements are really useful. We have cast iron skillets and pots so only bought 2 new mid size pots. At first the oven took a long time to heat up. We called GE service. While the service man was here, the problem magically stopped and since then, the oven heats up quickly enough (I often preheat by starting the broiler to hasten the process). I worried that we would scratch the finish of the range top easily and that the surface would be hard to clean. Not true! This range has exceeded my expectations. My only complaint is that the edges of the range top are not as sleek as they could be. But that is a small concern compared to the great performance of the range overall.

• zacman44
    11 years ago

We bought the GE PHS925STSS about 2 months ago - I could not stand the lack of temp control with radiant elements and propane (rural area) too expensive for gas range. Anyway, so far we really, really like it. One concern we have however:
    We have used the oven only a few times and after we turn the oven off the oven seems to stay hot for quite a while - i.e., when we open the door hot air seems to blow out for a while to the point we thought the oven might still be on despite it being turned off. Is this normal? This range replaced a really, really, really old oven so we do not have much experience with how a new range should work re venting after off. Baked fine, just seemed that the oven stayed hot and vented for a while longer than expected - I wonder if there is a fan that stays on for a while to vent the heat after it is turned off?? Thoughts?

• beth
    11 years ago

zacman - If your GE is replacing a really, really old oven, it is most likely staying warmer/hotter longer because the newer ovens are much better insulated than older ones.

• joe628
    11 years ago

Can anyone please tell me how long it took for that horrible "new oven smell" to finally disappear?

• suburbanmd
    11 years ago

I have the freestanding version of the subject range. Running a self-clean cycle helped get rid of the new oven smell.

• joe628
    11 years ago

Thanks, I guess if we want to cook in our new oven we are going to have to do the same.

• TexasBear
    11 years ago

Did AnnaA and smv81261 get the issue with the front right burner going to HI on its own fixed? Are they satisfied with the repair? I am planning on purchasing a slide-in induction range and am very interested in their experience.

Thank you for all the information you provide.

• lcubed
    11 years ago

we've got one on order and run into a hiccup with the installation folks.

our current slide-in draws ~ 45A at 240V (according to the manufacturer's label) and is on a 50A/240V circuit. my installation folks want to replace the 50A breaker with a 40A breaker.

is this advisable?? i'm a bit leery of down rating the breaker if i ever need to goto another appliance which calls for 50A like the electolux induction slide-in.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

No need to mess with the electrical set-up unless there is something physically wrong with either the breaker or if the original wiring is wrong (e.g., too light a guage of wire for the amp rating.) Otherwise the 40A spec in the installation and manual for the GE stoves is a minimum specification, not the mandatory one and certainly not a maximum spec.

Here's another practical reason not to go to a lower rated breaker. If you are cooking Thankgiving dinner with the convection roast going and all four burners on high, and using that warming burner, you could trip a 40A breaker. That would be unnecessarily annoying and a major inconvenience.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

Can you get some reason why your installation folks suggested replacing the breaker? It might be helpful to know...

• attofarad
    11 years ago

The GE PHS925STSS spec sheet calls for a 40 amp breaker. That is what I would install without further input.

However, the spec sheet also says 12.2kW power rating at 240V, which is 50.8 amperes.

If it were mine, I would contact GE so that they could try to explain why the rating is 12.2kW, but the recommended breaker limits it to 9.6kW If using the broiler while using 3 burner high, you could exceed 9.6kW.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE PHS925STSS Spec

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Chac_moool is correct. Get an explanation from the installers.

Just to clarify for you, what I meant about "too light a gauge of wire" is this. If the cable to your stove outlet is AWG-8 ("8 gauge wire) then that you have wire rated for up to 40 Amps and the 50 Amp breaker needs to be swapped out. If you have AWG-6 cable ("6-guage"), then the 50 amp breaker does not need to be changed unless there is something else wrong with it. So, if the installers start talking about wire gauges, that's what you need to know.

• lcubed
    11 years ago

The installers went over the installation manual and maintained the 50 amp wiring and cord as per the manual. still have only gotten a few test runs with the new stove but it looks like the installers will have to come back and remove the old filler piece from the old slide in so that the LG OTR Microwave with extendable hook can draw all the fumes from the big front hob. It just needs to go back about 1.5 inches to capture everything from a furiously boiling pot of water. Controls seem much more sensitive than my old kitchen aid ceramic. Very interesting cooking bacon with paper towel under and around the pan and not having to worry about splatter

• fauguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Icubed,
    The GE Induction slide-in was designed not to be used with a rear filler strip. If you look earlier in this thread, someone posted pics of it with a filler strip, and then with it removed.

• lcubed
    11 years ago

Absolutely agree that the filler strip is not necessary.. In fact, the estimator put in a line item for the removal. I wasn't there during the actual install, but somehow, the installers decided not to cut the filler piece out

• fauguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Please let us know if you also have the issue that was posted in here a few months ago that people noticed the large right burner would turn up to High by itself.

• lcubed
    11 years ago

Happy with the stove so far. The vent works far better now that the filler piece has been removed and stove slid all the way back.

I'm looking for comments on the slow cook mode of the oven.
    How well does it work ? Any tips on converting slow cooker recipes for slow cook mode in this oven?

• fauguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Icubed,

Have you had an issue with the front right burner going from low to high by its self like a couple other people on here posted? Hopefully that's not a wide spread problem, or can be fixed under warranty.

• lcubed
    11 years ago

no sign of the front right hob going to H under it's own direction

• Wheelieking
    11 years ago

I have to say this is one of the best threads around. Thanks to all the folks who have answered so many questions!

We were just looking at one of these slide in induction ranges at an appliance store yesterday and we were very impressed. Most of the online reviews have nothing but good things to say with one exception.

I've read that when the induction burners are set to a heat of 4 or less, they make a loud constant clicking sound. Can someone confirm if that's true? It might just be the deal breaker for me. I'm going to see if the appliance store can show us the model plugged in, but until then don't have a way to confirm this.

Thanks in advance!!

• lcubed
    11 years ago

mine certainly doesn't do that.
    i was making chicken stock a couple of weeks ago.

5 hours at level 1 on the big burner in a 8 qt cuisinart multi clad pro stock pot with a pasta insert. no clicking.

• lcubed
    11 years ago

mine certainly doesn't do that.
    i was making chicken stock a couple of weeks ago.

5 hours at level 1 on the big burner in a 8 qt cuisinart multi clad pro stock pot with a pasta insert. no clicking.

• zacman44
    11 years ago

We have had this induction range for about 5-6 months now. I too had read some reviews here and there about there being a buzzing or clicking and was concerned but went ahead and bought it as I wanted induction and the precise temp control. I have not had any issue with loud buzzing at all. At times I can hear a faint buzzing - no clicking but I really have to listen to hear it and don't notice it now - it is either not there, is too faint, or I am used to it.
    Also, you have to be right there at the cooktop to hear it and I usually don't stand there all the time I am preparing something. My wife also uses the cooktop, of course, and she has never mentioned any buzzing or clicking to me. Based on my experience I would not let that issue deter you. I absolutely love the precise temp control. Our prior cooktop was a flat surface radiant heat type and I hated it that you would turn down the heat but it stayed hot for a very long time and the only way to control things was to simply move the pot off the burner. We could not get a gas range (which has rather precise temp control as well) because we live in the mountains and are on propane which is much more expensive than natural gas.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

lcubed, are you saying that level 1 is an actual simmer rather than just a warm?

• zacman44
    11 years ago

Wheelieking: A follow up. Regarding a clicking sound, I do recall a while back we would hear a clicking and the light/setting would flicker. I discovered that the pan I was using was not flat on the bottom and thus was not making full or constant contact with the surface. I took the pan back (Bed Bath and Beyond) and they immediately recognized it was warped and they replaced it. No clicking now with that replacement pan or any of our other pans. So, if anyone does have any pronounced clicking they might want to see if the pan they are using is flat - I have learned that it is important that the pan bottom is flat.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

WheelieKing:

1. You've read that all induction cooktops and stoves click loudly at heat settings below 4? Mind giving us the link where you read that?

I ask because when I was stove shopping last fall and researched the GE slide-in, I found no reports about anything like clicking at low power levels. I did find a report about clicking in an oven in one PHB925, the freestanding induction stove, but that was a warranty problem about the oven and had nothing to do with the induction burners.

2. Are you, perhaps, referring to this thread and the youtube video it links to?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0115401923068.html?18

That thread is about a kitchenaid cooktop. Are you thinking that KA is part of GE? Not so. KA is part of Whirlpool, not GE. Don't know if KA/WP are outsourcing their induction units or producing then in-house, and don't know if the KA unit in the video is a lemon or if the whole KA line is prone to problems. There are a couple of GW members who have reported noise issues with their KA induction cooktops but nothing like what is in the video. Seems like a defective unit. You will note, however, that this thread is about the GE slide-in and nobody has reported any such problem with either the slide-in or the freestanding version, the PHB925. I saw a demo of PHB925 when it came out three years ago. Same induction units as on the slide-in being discussed in this thread. No clicking of any kind.

3. I've cooked on induction off and on over three decades, both here and abroad. Never cooked on Kitcheaid induction cooktop (or even seen one, actually). On the other induction units I've used in the past (Kenmore, Bosch, Brandt, Iwatani, Cooktek etc.) I've never run into anything even remotely like like what can be heard in the youtube video about the KA cooktop.

4. Do you live in or near a major metro area? If so, I strongly recommend you find a showroom where you can see an induction unit used and find out if you hear that kind of clicking. Maybe you will hear something the rest of us do not. If so, induction is not for you.

5. I see that this is your first post here. Since you are new, maybe you don't yet know that there are two search boxes. Use the one at the bottom of the page. Try searching on "induction + ge + clicking" and "induction + noise." You won't find any about ge ranges clicking but you will find some discussions of humming at high power settings on some other brands. Sometimes it was cookware, sometimes something else and sometimes it seemed endemic to the particular unit and installation.

6. If you cannot get to a demo, try looking at other videos. For example, Gary Dodge, a long time GW member, has posted extensively about his Electrolux induction cooktop and has a YouTube video of it in use for cooking breakfast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQ9nNA7_2c

• lcubed
    11 years ago

with a the amount in the pot and partially covered, level 1 was a simmer.
    probably would not have been a simmer in an uncovered pot with a larger liquid volume.

(in my book, 1 to 2 bubbles per second is a simmer, YMMV)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks, lcubed.

• Wheelieking
    11 years ago

First of all, many thanks to 1cubed, writersblock, JWVideo, zacman44 for such quick responses! I've Google searched my way into this forum many times, but never needed to comment or ask questions until now. I do have to say though that the content has always been top notch, and everyone is very helpful! Hopefully I can give back some time!

The general feedback here though definitely calms the nerves! In reponse to JWVideo; I actually came across a few reviews specifically for the GE Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS, but didn't see any video demos of the issue which is why I asked here, given that there were actual owners who had been living with it commenting on it.

Zacman44 comments that flat bottom pans made a difference. Thinking about it, that makes total sense. We'll be getting a new cookset, so I'll make sure to keep an eye out for that.

We're in Seattle, and the appliance company (Albert Lee Appliance) has been helpful in the past, so I'll see if they can get it set up to test before we drop the cash for it. I've seen a few other live demos of induction ranges and they look amazing, which is why we are excited to try it out.

Again, many thanks for all the helpful comments and seriously quick replies!!

I'll post any updates I have when we make the purchase and install one.

Thanks!

• Lvssushi
    10 years ago

I can't tell you how excited I am to have found this site! I have been looking at several different slide in ranges. I can tell you it is draining! Especially when you live in a small town that only has slide ins on display at Lowes, both of which are Frigidaire. I had helped my neighbor pick out a freestanding electrolux wave touch range and she loves it, so I had been looking at the slide in version. I wanted to have a larger oven than the 4.2 cubic ft but had not found anything bigger then 4.6 cubic ft. Then I found the PHS925STSS and I was in love! Bye bye electrolux, hello GE Profile! Love the size, the control panel and how it goes all the way to the wall (big deal for me!)

Thanks to all of you I can see great pictures of how it fits and looks. Also the tips about changing out the racks!! Thank you! I will keep following this thread to get updates! Now I just need to find a great deal on it! Lowest I can find is $2900 on sale. Not sure how AnnaA got it for $2300 but I can only dream to come as close to her great deal!!!
    Thanks again!!

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Anna bought hers a while back, that's how.

Prices have gone up over the last year. IIRC, AJ Madison had the PHS925 discounted to around $2350 through the first half of the year. Others (such as Lowe's) were selling it for around $2500-$2600. Close to Labor Day, GE bumped its wholesale and list prices. The MSRP price went to $3197 (matching the Electrolux slide-in induction, I guess). Since then, pretty much everybody seems to have them discounted to only $2900 even for holiday weekend sales.

• Lvssushi
    10 years ago

Great! I guess I am a day late and a dollar short for that sale price! No seriously, more like six months late, dang! ;-) Won't stop me from buying it, although I may shop around more places trying to get a good price!

This post was edited by Lvssushi on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 14:11

• fauguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I personally am holding out to see if there is going to be a newer model. This one had been out for almost 2 years now, so my thinking is that within the next year (2013-14) they should have a new version - that could be an "improvement" over this current model. AnnaA and a few others had to replace their control panel due to it going to High on its own. Even though the replacement fixed it, I'd like to wait for the 2nd generation unit before I spend this amount of money on one.

I deal with electronic stuff all day, and I've found it's usually best to wait for the 2nd-3rd generation before buying, so all the bugs/issues get worked out.

• bookmom41
    10 years ago

I, too, am having the control panel replaced on my GE slide-in induction range, but not because a hob is going to high on its own. Rather, my dh pointed out that the touch pad part of the control panel on the right side has separated from the stainless trim, and using any pressure at all on the touch pad leaves a gap between the pad and the trim. When the repair person comes back to replace it, I am going to have him check the oven, too, as I think the oven temperature is not accurate; I think the actual temp is lower than the one selected and displayed, based on actual baking times--and when I change the temperature setting when the oven is already on, within a minute it beeps to indicate the new temperature has been reached. Lastly, I noticed the warming drawer is warped, takes some monkeying around to get it to close evenly.
    I love cooking on induction and even with these issues, this range is light-years better than what I had before...but I think quality control needs to wake up. FWIW, we've been using the range for 4-5 months.

• Lvssushi
    10 years ago

That is a good point. Although the other part of that is there may be issues in the new version's "improvements", but that is the chance you take I guess! Do you know if historically there is a season that GE introduces their new products? I can wait for my new range but I am one who likes timelines!

• zacman44
    10 years ago

re finding a good deal on this range (and on other appliances) check out Goedeckers on line. I think I got it for between $2,300 and $2,400. It will take about two weeks for delivery but it was the best price I could find at the time - which was I think in June 2012. This was the first time I bought anything from them and came across their name when searching for this range.
    Re the range itself, we still love it - like the speed, like the precise temp controls, and easy to clean surface.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Interesting. Goedecker's has it "on sale" today for $2398.