Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bltx

Miele G892, odd blinking errors codes

BLTx
9 years ago

We've had our G892 for a long time (maybe fifteen years?), and it's been wonderful. We've had to do some minor repairs, but nothing major.

Recently, though, odd things have been happening. When I turn the power on, we get varying patterns of blinking or steady lights. I understood that the pattern of lights indicated the problem that the dishwasher is having, but we have a number of patterns that the washer goes through, seemingly at random.

For example, "salt" might blink. Or, "pots/pans," "normal plus," "normal," and "economy" might hold steady (sometimes while "start/stop," "top solo," "rinse," "drying," and "end" all blink). ("Saniwash" also comes on but goes out again after a few seconds.) Another time, "top solo" and "end" might blink, with "rinse aid" holding steady. Another time, all the various cycles hold steady, while "salt" blinks.

If at any time only ONE cycle light comes on (it's usually "normal plus"), I'm in luck, because then I can hold down the start/stop button for a few seconds, and any OTHER lights that are blinking settle down. Then I can change to a normal cycle or whatever I want, and the machine works normally. Sometimes that happens on the first or second attempt�but at times I've stood there turning on and off the machine 150 times before I could get it to run.

We tried removing power to the machine (turned off power at the breaker) in case that reset anything, but it didn't help.

I've been operating under the assumption that it's some sort of problem with the electronics�surely if it were a mechanical problem it wouldn't have such crazy patterns of lights that change so often.

Any suggestions?

This post was edited by BLTx on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 12:25

Comments (7)

• richard_f
    9 years ago

I would try calling Miele USA in New Jersey and ask to speak to one of their technicians. I've found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable, even about older appliances.

My strong suspicion is that you're probably looking at replacing the control board and that it's time to shop for a new dishwasher. I think you got your money's worth out of this one.

• lee676
    9 years ago

(no message)

This post was edited by lee676 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 5:49

• BLTx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for not getting back here; I've been ill.

I doubt that I need to see technical info, because the fact that so many DIFFERENT light patterns come on when I turn on the cycle indicates to me that it's probably the control board (as Richard says) rather than a mechanical problem. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see the manual....

I imagine that replacing the control board would probably be cost-prohibitive, as Richard also says. Nevertheless, since we believe that the best thing we can do environmentally is to avoid buying things, we really hate to throw out a dishwasher that is in most respects perfectly functional. So we've spent a fair amount of time trying to solve this problem.

My husband came up with a solution that really helps. I don't understand the principles behind it (he does), but I'll put it here so that others can benefit if this happens to anyone else.

If I quickly push the on/off button partway down, release it, and then immediately push it fully, there's a greatly increased chance that the machine will come up functional. This has to be a VERY quick action--a partial light push, followed extremely quickly by a full push. If you push the first time fully, then the second push will turn OFF the machine instead of on, which is very frustrating, especially when you've hit the jackpot and actually turned on the machine!

Using this method, I can usually get it to start within the first five attempts. Pushing the on button normally, it has gotten to the point that the dishwasher won't start even in 100 attempts. My son once counted 200 tries before giving up.

If NO lights come on, opening and closing the door usually fixes that.

I will repeat what I said earlier, for the benefit of other crazy people like us: If only one CYCLE light is on, the dishwasher will run, even if other lights are flashing. I just have to hold down the "start" button down for about three seconds until the other lights stop flashing, then the dishwasher works normally and I can switch to the cycle that I actually want to use.

What I really hate is when I accidentally open the machine during a cycle, because then it won't re-start the cycle when the door is closed, but I have to re-run the whole load.

My husband is still thinking of calling Miele and replacing the control board, but I'm afraid that would be extremely expensive.

• xxxxmusicxxx
    7 years ago

Lee676

i am having blinking problems. Would you send me the PDF of technical specs for the blinking lights?

xxxxmusicxxxx@aol.com

• Pallak Paneer
    4 years ago

I have the same problem with a G892 as BLTx. If I get lucky, it comes up with one cycle light. Then if i press start/stop for 1 second, all is normal and i can select and run any cycle. I can also sometimes get it into Service Mode 1 and run all tests without issue.

Sometimes it comes up in the right mode after 3 or 20 or 50 or more pushes of on/off button.

My conclusion is, replace control board EGPL545-C, but for the cost & availability.

Anyone have any luck with this? Thanks!

• Pallak Paneer
    4 years ago

BLTx,

The partial button press trick is working for me! (now that i understand how to do it).

The first quick push has to be enough to make electrical contact and light up the panel, but not pushed in so much as to make the switch physically latch in the "ON" position.

Interesting. I will try to crack open the module and fix someday.

Cheers!

Sponsored
EasyHeat
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Easy-to-Install, Reliable Heating Products in North America