Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DCS gas cooktop- problem

Posted by lazycook (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 15:18

My cooktop is about 8 yrs old. It has the control knobs with the purple light. Whenever I wipe around the knobs with a wet rag (no detergent) the paint comes off so that all the hi-med-lo signs are no longer there. Does anyone else have this problem? Except for this problem I still love the cooktop especially the simmer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DCS gas cooktop- problem

YES!!!! My cooktop is about eleven yrs old and I have the same problem. It's by guess & by golly when I use my settings. The first liquid to remove the paint was Simple Green. After cleaning one knob, I stopped. But since just about any cleaner or even a miracle cloth might do it. I haven't contacted DCS/Fisher Paykel, but I assume we're out of luck!

o

It has to do with cooking oils. Some types of oils act like a solvent and soften the paint.

Most companies test against most normal cooking oils like vegatable, canola, and most animal fats but every once in a while a "new" oil will become popular that wasn't tested.

o

At least I'm glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem. As far as an oil dissolving the paint I don't think that would be the problem because I don't use any unusual or new kind of oil. I should call the mfr or go to the shop that sells parts for the DCS cooktop.

o

I have a new Bosch range and about the third time using it I noticed on of the knobs got all gummy so I grabbed a wet paper towel to clean it and the paint rubbed right off. I called Bosch who acknowledged the issue and overnighted new knobs which are clearly a different finish. Hope these last more than a week!

All this to say, there's a chance DCS knows about the problem, has corrected it, and will send you new knobs. Worth a call, anyway.

o

I agree, I never fry and when sauteing I use olive oil. It's not the type of oil. My cooktop is 11 yrs old. I doubt they have replacements, but even if they do, it will be hell getting that portion of the knob off of the cooktop without scratching the heck out of it!
Update: just tried to unscrew the escution plate ( that used to hold the markings) and I dropped a screw in to an abyss. The two screws hold in a U shaped metal plate backing which dropped into an inaccessible space. I was able to retrieve it and screw one side back on which will anchor it, the other screw is lost, likely forever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here