Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reliability of induction cook tops

Posted by cyalexa (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 14:59

I need to replace a not very old Kenmore induction cook top. The most important features to me are #1: reliability (because I have been so frustrated with the Kenmore and it's multiple repairs), and #2: price (because I also have a broken 15 month-old Kenmore dishwasher). I would be able to afford a Bosch and maybe even a Miele if I got a good deal and the dishwasher is not too much to fix. I have spent hours reading other threads in this forum and they have been very helpful. I would really appreciate anyone that has an induction cook top reporting on it's reliability.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reliability of induction cook tops

I can report that my 36-inch Kenmore Elite (Electrolux Icon clone) purchased in December 2007 is still running exactly as it ran at inception.

Being an electronic device, along with many other electronic devices now in use, it is a good idea in my opinion to have transient suppressors installed at the service entry point or in breaker panel boxes. These can reduce the potential for damage from line spikes.

kas

o

Thanks kas, I'll discuss this with the installer after I choose a new unit.

o

Discuss surge suppression that with your power company. They can often provide whole home surge suppression for a very modest monthly fee. Your computers, cell phone chargers, TV's, Blue Ray players, etc. will also benefit from this.

As a class, induction cooktops have been remarkably free of complaints about their reliability. The usual complaint that leaves them ending up at the scratch and dent are related to some cookware humming with use, or people's inability to adapt rather than any actual defect in any of the cooktops. I'm sorry you got a lemon, but I can honestly say that it's probably an anomaly rather than any "syndrome" that happens often.

o

My KE installed 12/05 is fine too. My parents have had a Miele for 2-3 years with no problem too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here