Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlspellman_gw

Owners of Thermador Columns - Question!

dlspellman
15 years ago

I am at the point I am suppose to replace the charcoal filter in the freezer unit (for the ice maker) of my Thermador Column Freezer. I went to Thermador's website to look for replacement filters, they were $43.70 each - ouch!, given you are SUPPOSE to change in every 6 months.... that's nearly a $100 a year - wasn't planning on that...

For you who have owned this unit a while - how often are you replacing the filter and where are you purchasing them?

Also, the manual alludes to using a "substitute" cartridge that in not their brand....anyone done that? What's been your experience such as price, brand you are using, where to buy, do they seem to be doing the job okay, etc?

Thanks for your help!

Oh, has anyone else who did the cabinet fronts had a problem with the doors shifting a bit. ie) rubbing in the center, dropping, etc. I had mine adjusted once, but now they are doing it again. Seems to be some play in the hinges - is that normal?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Skonovd Ranch
    15 years ago

dlspellman

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your Thermador Columns? I too am planning them for our home currently under construction. Other than the filter questions do you like your columns? Thank you so much, Andrea

• ya_think
    15 years ago

I just went online to check the price for a replacement filter for my cheapo GE inline system I installed a few years back: $28.99. So instead of thinking of it amost $100 a year, maybe you would feel better thinking of it as only $30 more per year than the average guy spends on their system.

• dlspellman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are a couple photos of our Thermador 30" Columns - they're in the Walnut Armoire! There was one more trim piece added after these photos were taken (a base piece similar in design to the base on the cabinet to the left of the ovens). I love my Thermadors with the exception of the little tweek above needed on the door. Love the ice maker position, love being able to open either unit and seeing everything at a glance!! Way better in my opinon than second units elsewhere. This is all we have for our family of four and it's just right!

• cjacker
    15 years ago

dlspellman,
    I love the look of your Thermadors and glad you like them so much as I'm just now at the point of trying to figure out what refrig/freezer to purchase. I have been thinking I would realy like colums and have been leaning toward Thermador.
    Also, I like the look of your ovens. Would you mind sharing which ovens you have? Thanks, Jeanie

• dlspellman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The ovens are GE Profiles - top is the Advantium 120 and the bottom is 27" convection oven. I stuggled with 27" vs. 30" - afraid the 30" would be too small, but 27" fit in better scale wise with the rest of the wall. After a year, including the big Christmas Meal for 40 - the 27" oven plus advantium has been just fine.

Also, I love the advantium - it does it all - convection bakes, microwaves, warming function....it's the workhorse of my kitchen! At Christmas, while the Turkey was cooking below, I was able to stack the green bean casserole and sweet potatoes in the Advantium.... I am not a huge entertainer, but, I have found this combo to work just fine for our family of four and moderate entertaining.

I was worried I needed two ovens plus microwave - but, this is working just fine if you have limited space for ovens like I did.

Good Luck!