Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zippity_do_dah

Which ranges do not have computer components please??

Zippity-do-dah
11 years ago

Hi Gardenwebbers

Which ranges are without the computer components please? I am looking for a reliable long term range that does not have the complications of ultra modern electronics.

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• deedles
    11 years ago

I have a vintage Chambers stove. Not even a clock and the timer is a windup bell ticker thing that rings like an old alarm clock.

We can even retrofit it to run on a propane tank if the grid goes down (Course, if the grid goes down long enough to hook up the stove to a propane tank I'm thinking we'll have enough other problems too, haha *sort of*)

Not sure about new model stoves, though and that's probably what you're looking for.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Skip ranges with modern functions.

You can find these gas ranges at the very low end like Premier ranges or Frigidaire ranges under $600 or at the very high end like Bluestar or Capital.

• Zippity-do-dah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deegeaux, Are you saying that Blue Star & Capitol do not have computer components? That would be great.

• willtv
    11 years ago

The only "computer components" in a Bluestar range are the spark module, the burner igniters and the oven and broiler glow plugs.
    It ain't cheap, but it is simple and reliable.
    You'll also have to forgo the self cleaning option if you decide on a Bluestar.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

I could be wrong, but I believe the Wolf all gas models are still currently without fancy electronics, similar to the way willtv describes Bluestar.

I know they'll soon be changing the AG models to look and function more like the dual fuel. I'm not sure if this includes the computerized oven controls.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Not deeageaux, but many "pro-style" all-gas ranges are mechanically controlled and do not have intergated circuits with microprocessor-based controllers. (I am assuming that this is what you meant by "computers.") Although Deeageaux doesn't like them, NXR is another of that kind of range and its price falls about halfway between the inexpensive barebone Frigidaires and Premiers and the more premium priced Blues Stars and Capitols.

Actually, most major-brand stoves can run gas burners without an operating integated controller board. (That is how they work in power outages.) It is the oven controls that are microprocessor/ic controlled. If the board goes, you haven't got an oven. Stoves like the Blue Star do not use intergrated circuits to control the oven.

But even the Blue Stars and such are not completely free of electronics. For example, many such stoves have flame reignitors. These circuits will fire up the spark-ignitors if the flame blows out, as might occur when you have a very low simmer going. Thermador actually used that kind of circuit to maintin a very low simmer (some people find that clicking to be annoying.) Reigniters are a simple circuit. They measure the temperature-related resistivity of the ignitors and, if the gas is flowing and the temperature drops because the flame goes out, they make the ignitor fire. If something goes wrong, you it is either the re-ignitor controll box (easily replaced) or the ignitor itself. Either way, it will not take down your stove if it fails. I remember reading some posts here from, I think, about four years ago when Wolf had a bad batch of ignitors on the AG stoves. These ignitors did not register heat correctly which produced incorrect readings at the reignitor and caused the ignitors to click frequently at all flame levels.

If you want to get totally away from all electrical ciruitry, you are pretty much looking at using a vintage stove like the Chambers that Deedles has. You either run those with a pilot light for the stove top and another for the oven or else you shut off the pilots and use a BBQ lighter stick, which is what a friend of mine does with his treasured old 36" Wedgewood gas stove.

To Deeageaux's list of inexpensive stoves, I would add that Brown Stove Works still makes and sells inexpensive all-gas stoves with pilot lights and no electrics. They may be availble direct and I believe that Sears may still carry them.