Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
48" Wolf needing repair...

Posted by sdlane (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:23

I have an opportunity to buy a 48" duel-fuel Wolf range for $4,000. The issue is that the range has been the victim of a flood - it was exposed to a foot of water. It needs wiring repair and some of the SS in the front - the feet and then just about an inch above that.

Would you even consider such a purchase? I really only need a 36" range which is $5400. The idea of having a 48" for the same price (assuming repair is about $1,000-$1,500) is very appealing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 48" Wolf needing repair...

I am a big fan of a bargain, but I would be concerned. Water and electronics don't mix well. I don't know where the computer boards are on that oven, but if they have been flooded, then how long before they act up. The stainless steel exterior should be fine, but the oven walls, hinges, floor, convection fans, racks, and lots of other stuff were not designed to sit in water - and even if the water didn't reach all those parts, they sure were exposed to some high humidity. I would not even consider it with if you can get a new 36 inch with warranty for a similar price.

o

Agree. Why are they getting rid of it? I can't imagine that a repair is $1000-1500. You might have rust you can't see on the oven liner(s). The estimate to replace the liner on my Wolf DF 36 inch oven due to chipping of the enamel is $800 plus in labor plus the part. You would have no warranty on the computer board and even if it worked now but you have problems later- get your wallet out. You might be looking at rebuilding the oven.

o

$4,000 is a LOT of money to spend on a range that may never work properly again. And replacing "an inch above the feet" of stainless steel on the front? Wouldn't that involve replacing the doors? An inch above the feet on my Wolf Range means the doors.

o

Thanks everyone... "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is..."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here