Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you regret your compact dishwasher?

Posted by seashine (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 14:20

Trying to decide if moving from no dishwasher to a compact one (to save space) would cause me to regret it in the future.
Do you have an 18 inch one and regret it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you regret your compact dishwasher?

Yes and no! That's not helpful, is it? I'll explain... I got a compact dishwasher about 2 years ago. I did not have a dishwasher at the time. The space I had was too small for a standard dishwasher. I live alone and have lots of dishes/silverware so I don't run it that often. There have been times I wished I had a larger one, specifically when there is tupperware or pots and pans involved. A larger one would no doubt be run more often as I would be able to fit those things in, instead of just washing them up by hand. I think that is what you need to consider. Would you want to put pots, pans, and larger items in the dishwasher and how often would you want to run it?

o

Considered a Miele 18" DW (or a Bosch as 2nd choice), but instead chose a Fisher & Paykel single drawer 24" wide, about 16" tall dishwasher, with the intent of putting a 6" drawer both above and below it (they make these DWs in two different heights now). I found this to be a better space-saving option, since the upper drawer made an excellent place to store utensils right near the sink, which I wouldn't have with a full-height 18"w DW. But I would take any decent 18"w dishwasher over none at all.

o

I love my 18 inch, no regrets. It's just me and my DH. We only cook from scratch, no processed foods or take out, and typically it needs to be run only every other day.

o

Love our Miele; no regrets in eight or so years. We were a family of three (now two w/DD in college) and only ran our full size DW every two or three days so ended up hand washing high use items. Our Miele gets run daily so I always have my favorite mug available at breakfast. DH (family cook) typically cooks from scratch 3 meals/day, but with DD gone we eat leftovers more often.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here