Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcran_gw

BS or CC Gas Range (or Rangetop) vs Induction

MCran
10 years ago

I'm remodeling a 100 year old Midwestern Foursquare and I'd like to put in a "chef's kitchen". I'm not a pro at all but a good cook who is ready for the next level. The house was less than 6 figures, and though it is only 1500 sq. ft., it is one of those Sears Catalog homes and has lovely maple floors and original wood windows and trim. The kitchen was added later and done poorly. We will be going with QS oak inset cabs and slate counters, going for the Craftsman aesthetic. This won't be cheap, but it's cheaper here than most places. Local craftsmen do a good job for very reasonable rates.

I can't decide on a 36" Bluestar or Capital Culinarian range, a rangetop with a cheaper electric oven, or a good all-induction range. I know people love their CC and BS, but I'm scared by those who have issues. Service may be hard to come by (I'm in the boonies). I want 3 main features: great wok cooking, a great charbroiler, and good control of very high but also simmering heat. I already have an outdoor wok unit that's not pretty but is good (though not great).

A 36" full range will be $7-8000 and will look great - the centerpiece of the best cook's kitchen in town. That's huge overkill unless it delivers 100% satisfaction. Plus, the range hood requirements are expensive. I don't even need the features of a high end oven - I'm more of a "fast and hot" type of cook. That leads me to my next option.

A 36" BS or CC rangetop with a separate, cheaper electric oven, about $5-6000 total. Most complaints from BS and CC owners are oven-related. I don't have a great spot in my kitchen for a wall oven, but it would work.

Or, go "cheap" with an all-induction range (probably Electrolux) at $2-3000, plus the savings on the hood. I'd still have good burner control, good searing, and maybe passable wok heating. i could Spend my extra money on a good outdoor grill and new outdoor wok. I could throw in a smoker and still be less than a CC. But it's really cold here for 4-5 months, and it might be a few years before the backyard gets the facelift necessary to properly entertain out there. Plus, there's no good passageway between kitchen and patio, and there never will be.

So, what would you do? i want a great cooking kitchen, but I can't dump $35000 into a kitchen and expect to get even half of it back at resale, this is the Midwest. Are the high-end tools really worth it? I know they won't be if they become a repairman's dream. Can I do most techniques on an induction range, then go outside when I need big fire?

Thank you so much for your help.. Sorry for the length.

M

Comments (6)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

A couple of quick thoughts maybe more after I think about it for a while.

Most issues with the BS have been oven related.

The only oven related issue with the CC was three years ago regarding the placement of the racks in the manual clean oven. It was quickly changed, about three months after introduction to the satisfaction of those complaining.

The issue with the CC was simmering. Most thought it was acceptable after their burners were calibrated. Sometimes 2 or 3 times by incompetent techs.

Now there is an 8k btu small pot(simmer) burner on new CCs. There is still old stock out there without the smaller burner.

If you think servicing a CC or BS will be an issue how about identifying and fixing electrical problems in your Electrolux induction range? Circuit boards, hob failure, control panels, and buzz sounds? Do you think the local repair techs in the boonies will be expert at diagnosing and solving these problems? On this account I think I would take my chances with gas.

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

I am with deeageaux on this. Gas rangetops by both BS and Capital are pretty basic - not much to go wrong, and you can even use them when there is a power outage , if that is a concern. A wall oven is much easier on your back, and to see what is cooking and how quickly, and if you want to go electric wall oven, you get the benefit of a Dual Fuel without the price premium of a dual fuel range.

• tyguy
    10 years ago

>>The only oven related issue with the CC was three years ago regarding the placement of the racks in the manual clean oven. It was quickly changed, about three months after introduction to the satisfaction of those complaining.

Small correction but, there has also been complaints on uneven cooking, although I think most complaints have been on the small oven if I remember correctly. Self locking doors and buzzing racks are also issues that seem to pop up.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Small correction but, there has also been complaints on uneven cooking, although I think most complaints have been on the small oven if I remember correctly. Self locking doors and buzzing racks are also issues that seem to pop up.

The same small percentage of customers that complain about any range, oven, or appliance.

Every oven gets somebody that says it does not cook evenly or as evenly as they were lead to believe by reading this or that forum. Including Bluestar, Electrolux, Wolf and Gaggenau.

I have read quite extensively about the CC have not read complaints about buzzing racks or locking doors. Although I am sure there is one or two.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    10 years ago

The locking door issue does happen occasionally, but this relates to the Self Clean Oven which means its not a direct comparison to the BS which does not have Self Clean.

As for the racks I know of only one CC owner who had this issue, if i recall the owner was cooking something on one rack and left the other in the oven which vibrated when the fan was on, they removed the rack not been used and all was fine. Should it vibrate no... but was it a problem i would also say no.

I agree with Dee every range has issues, that's why every manufacturer has a service division.

Problem is, no one makes the perfect range, nor ever will :(

• jcmjcm
    10 years ago

This is something many folks face during a kitchen remodel. What is the most important thing, budget, appliances, recoup $ w/resale? You mentioned, small home that was not expensive. Is your fear of not recouping the $ if you put in high end appliances? If you expressed that your ready for the next level, plus you would want a wok, high btu and charbroil...(you didn't mention rotisserie or self clean). That comes with a price tag. You stated thoughts of rangetop w/ cheaper wall oven.
    If you have or foresee any bending/back problems, go for rangetop/wall oven. Just remember that the rangetop and cheaper wall oven will require gas and/or electrical upgrade, wall oven cabinet, rangetop cabinet and additional installation fees. On top of the price of the rangetop and wall oven, could cost as much as a range alone.
    If you really want the high end cooking appliances, be very cost conscious about the other elements in the kitchen. Frig, d/w, micro, sink, counters, flooring, lighting, faucets and cabinets. You don't have to break the bank.
    For all the money your spending, you should be pleased when you enter the kitchen. I would recommend you stick with gas.
    I own a 48in CC range, single Capital wall oven, Samsung CD frig and KA d/w.
    Good Luck