Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So Hard to Find FD with IceMaker in Freezer & No Water in Door

Posted by alwaysfixin (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 14:14

We are looking to replace a non-counter-depth side-by-side fridge that is about to give up the ghost. It has water/ice in the door, which we find convenient, but has had the problems so often reported with external dispensers. This is our checklist for our new fridge:

- French door style
- Non-counter-depth
- Water dispenser inside, the kind that is the small spout inside the fridge
- Ice maker in freezer that makes a decent quantity of ice

All that I am asking for is that the ice maker is in the freezer not the fridge (Dee, I am talking to YOU). It is very hard to determine where the ice maker is located by going online. Some sites have photos so you can tell; many do not. Then, many stores do not carry the FD model with water dispenser inside, so you have to order it, and so you can't see it.

We are considering the Samsung RF261BEAESR, and the various Whirlpool/Kitchenaid/Maytag/Amana (as an aside, does anyone know if there are significant differences among all those Whirlpool models?). If anyone can tell us which have the ice maker in the freezer, and any other useful info, it would be great. TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So Hard to Find FD with IceMaker in Freezer & No Water in Doo

Samsung RF261BEAESR as well as GE Profile PFSF2MIY have ice maker in the freezer with water on the inside.

The differences between Whirpool models are slight. Each has its own handles. Amana seems like best buy as it has digital controls like the KA and bottle caddy.

I think I would go with Samsung RF261BEAESR.

o
RE: So Hard to Find FD with IceMaker in Freezer & No Water in Doo

Thanks Deeageaux. That is the Samsung we are considering. It's just that when there is a bad review, most of the time the complaint is about the unavailability of parts from Samsung. Not sure if that situation has improved lately. The Abt salesperson told us Mr. Abt would not buy Samsung fridges for his store until recently, when he became more certain of the availability of parts. But we are still hesitating over that issue. We will check out the Amana too. It looks like the only Amana with interior dispenser is the AFD2535FES. Anyone have either of these fridges, and can provide additional insight? TIA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here