Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Temperature difference for baking with convection?

mboston_gw
11 years ago

We recently bought a new range - induction with conventional or convection oven. I have really enjoyed using the convection for bake goods - muffins, cookies, biscuits,etc but I am having a little trouble adjusting cooking time or temp for things like casseroles, baked beans, macroni and cheese,etc. Seems like things aren't done when they should be. Does it take longer, should I adjuct it time wise or temperature wise? My baked beans would normally be in the oven for about an hour at 350 - on convection, they were still soupy at an hour and the bacon strips on top (I know bad me) were nto browned at all.

Are there any guidelines for making the switch?

Comments (10)

• dadoes
    11 years ago

I'm far from an expert but ...

1) Oven controls generally automatically reduce the entered temperature by 25F when convection mode is used. My GE Profile range, when I select Convection mode and enter 400F for example, it automatically reduces to 375F. It'll take 400F if I re-enter the temp (without turning the oven off first).

2) In my experience convection does take more time (at the 25F reduced temp). Cookies, pizza, biscuits need at least the maximum time stated on the package ... usually 3 to 5 mins more. I like pizza browned and a little crispy on top so that may take 10 mins longer. Chicken breast (Shake-n-Bake or however) also takes a good 10 mins longer.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

I've seen to use 25 degrees *less* for the same cooking time, when baking stuff with convection vs. not. But it doesn't sound like that would help your baked beans...

So then I wonder how your beans turn out in this new oven when baked without convection? Maybe the temperatures are a little low (or not maintained) in this oven, enough to affect stuff like beans, but not enough to mess up muffins and stuff taking less time.

Can you use an oven thermometer to check temperatures at 350 or so, over the time it takes to cook the beans? If your oven temperatures fluctuate or are inaccurate, please let us know what brand range you have.

[Some ranges, e.g., my E'lux range, offer an adjustment to raise or lower the temp at a given setting by several degrees. Your manual should say if you have this possible remedy.]

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My old oven used to always bake hot - never could get cookies or brownies done without burning edges, etc. This one (GE Profile Induction) bakes beautifully - cookies are done, muffins,etc browned evenly usually on the longest time suggested on packages. I haven't noticed any drop of the temp that I have set it at as dadoes stated. I have not used an oven thermometer yet. Will try that next. I'm really happy overall with the induction part - except the added step f cleaning the pots. Have to use Barkeepers each time if I want the pots shiny.

• weissman
    11 years ago

When I use convection, which is most of the time, I leave the temperature as stated in the recipe and find that things usually get done a little faster. I don't subscribe to the theory that you should drop the temp. 25 degrees. Fortunately, for me my oven doesn't do it automatically. I advised a friend of mine with an electronic oven to just set the oven 25 degrees higher when using convection.

• eandhl
    11 years ago

I also think something like a casserole or baked beans in a deep baking dish wouldn't benefit from convection.

• angiebangie
    11 years ago

Perhaps the casserole is too dense for the air to circulate through it properly. Are your beans covered in the oven? Air cannot circulate through the container if it is closed, you in reality, you were just cooking at a lower temperature if the dish was covered.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, no lid on the beans.

• weissman
    11 years ago

As others have said, a casserole generally won't benefit from convection so lowering the temperature actually increased the cooking time. I also don't use convection for things requiring bottom heat like souffles and popovers.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

My KA double ovens give a choice of automatic conversion to convection where you put in your regular cooking temp and it drops it 25 degrees OR a button you put in whatever convection temp you wish. There also is a choice for baked goods or meats.

I don't think convection was made to use for everything you put in an oven. It is wonderful with roasting meats and baking, but I never use it for casseroles or anything like that.