Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Commercial Size Fridge

Posted by dreambuilder (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 13:44

Has anyone bought a commercial size fridge from a restaurant supply company for their home? I'm tempted since I hate my current side-by-side which barely holds anything. I've even looked on ebay but I'm a little hesitant to buy something that big off the internet. I realize I would have to have a stand alone freezer as well and I'm fine with that. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Commercial Size Fridge

My DH works for a restaurant supply company. For years he kept trying to talk me into a commercial fridge. I almost gave in one day until I heard one running in a silent warehouse. I think it was a True. The thing was like a jet engine. No way would I want that in my house. The noise from a normal residential fridge drives me bonkers enough when running. The other issue to be aware of is that a commercial fridge is a big cold box. No door shelves. No crisper drawers or deli tray. You need to store produce in containers with lids and be very organized with everything else.

Have you thought about a residential all-fridge unit instead? Much quieter and has all those organizational frills that a commercial unit does not. Or maybe a secondary fridge/freezer in a garage, basement, or pantry? I have a built-in fridge that holds the right amount of food for small shopping trips, but I need the fridge in the garage for all the summer produce and other overflow. I've always had a second fridge though, even before my new kitchen. Good luck!

o

I was looking into commercial refrigeration too. But all those things that breezy pointed out are what made me hesitant. I ended up with the Frigidaire Professional "twins." I have the 32" units side-by-side. I also added the trim kit. I think they look pretty good. They've been in almost a year and they've been functioning just fine. They are counter depth, so the space isn't too deep. But the width is great. I've been able to chill a full-sized baking sheet of cookies. Whirlpool also makes a version too, but they might be little smaller.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigidaire Professional All Refrigerator/Freezer

o

Very helpful, thank you! I guess I didn't know if I could get a commercial version cheaper but if they are so loud that is probably why they are cheaper....if anyone knows of a quick, economical, commercial fridge let me know:) I don't mind so much not having the drawers/etc...easier to keep clean and I can also put my own plastic bins in and have it organized more efficiently for how my family lives.....thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here