Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

Help with finding venting to fit my 42" copper hood shell

huango
11 years ago

Help with finding venting to fit my 42" copper hood shell

Final attempt to salvage my 42" antique copper hood, before I give up and buy a stainless steel chimney wall hood or something: (see pix below)

- I have this 42" wide antique copper hood shell

- I am having trouble finding an insert that fits w/in this shell: mainly because the "lip" or "brim" of the hood is only 3", and most inserts need 4"+ (something about the ability to hang the baffle filters)

- New idea of using external blower, so that I am not limited to a smaller/weaker cfm internal blower.

- But does my setup allow for external blower? Hood needs to go up ~12" and 90degree turn left ~45" to go outside

- How exactly does external blower system work? Is there a complete diagram?

Notes:

- Waiting for Mark from Tradewind to get back to me w/ ideas of what his engineers can customize

- Broan/Nutone technician said they don�t have anything that fits my hood

- Do I talk to a local HVAC person? What do I ask for?

- One possibility is to reuse the old Tradewind insert that I have (w/ the mesh filters) attach it to an external blower????

I am not 100% attached to this copper hood, but I do like it. I like the shape and the fact that it is an antique and not some generic hood from the manufacturing line.

But I could live w/out all the hassle/run-around.

Really appreciate any ideas/help.

As my friend Kristin (thrilledtoremodel) said, do not give up until you run it by the gardenweb. They are creative; they will come up with something!

Thank you!

Amanda

Wants:

- 900+ CFM (I fry, garlic/oil, fish, etc A LOT � need to remove the grease and smell). Yes, I could live w/ 600cfm (better than the 0cfm that I had).

- Baffle filters (instead of mesh)

Limitations:

- Ceiling height = 91"

- Option A. If I stay UNDER the ceiling, I have only 13.5" from hood top to ceiling bottom for transition piece + elbow ducting

- Option B. If I go THROUGH the ceiling joist space, I gain another 7", but then I�m limited to 7-8" ducting (to go out the house)

- Budget: cannot spend over $2000

91 height

36 base cab to countertop

29 countertop to hood bottom

12.5 height of hood

Leaves 13.5" from hood top to ceiling bottom for transition piece + elbow ducting

Old tradewind insert w/ mesh filters:

My layout: hood is label "Pots/Pans"

Comments (4)