Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell me about Soft water vs. hard water and dishwashers

Posted by sjhockeyfan (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 13:22

We are deciding between the Bosch 800 series and a Miele. We live in San Francisco, where I understand we have naturally soft water (mostly snow runoff from the Hetch Hetchy reservoir in Yosemite). What does this mean to me when selecting a dishwasher?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell me about Soft water vs. hard water and dishwashers

I found an abstract testing water in San Francisco.

It says in general SF water is very soft but varies from 6ppm (very soft) to 146 ppm (hard or moderately hard).

The Bosch has a manually adjusted built-in water softener.

You pick the level of softening you want and it stays there.

The Miele (except the Classic) has an automatically adjusting built-in water softener. On a given day where the water is 6 ppm it will test it and do nothing. On a given day that it is 146 ppm it will soften it to the ideal hardness level. And when it runs out of salt the dishwasher will tell you on the information screen.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o
RE: Tell me about Soft water vs. hard water and dishwashers

I live in the SF area as well and part of the year we have reasonably soft water (hetch hetchy) and part of the year when the water supply is from the wells, it is quite hard. We ended up with a whole house softener from Kinetico and turned off the water softener for Miele DW. Soft water basically allows for much better cleaning with the enzymatic cleaners. I find both for DW and laundry, I can use half a tablet or just a TBS of laundry detergent and the end result is much cleaner. I believe products like Limeaway work by acififying the water and making easier for the enzymes to work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here