Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vjoseph

Should I re-use my SZ 590 in my remodel?

wilson853
11 years ago

I built my house almost 20 years ago, and now it is time for a full kitchen remodel. Our original Subzero 590 (48" side by side) is still in great shape and the ice and water dispenser still works. In looking at new refrigeration, I was drawn to the separate columns by Thermador and Miele. Subzero does not make a separate 30" refrigeration column. I find their 27" to be too small and the 36" a bit too big. Other than getting an updated exterior look, are there any reasons why I should not re-use this unit? I am wondering if any others on this forum have done the same thing. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

We just replaced our 25 year old Sub Zero 501 R - all refrigerator. The replacement BI 36 R is taller than my old unit, the width and depth are the same. We had to remove the cabinet over the refrigerator to allow for the greater height.

Just make sure your new remodeled kitchen can accommodate a new unit- check to see what the dimensions of new units are - and then plan your cabinets accordingly. You don't want to go to the expense of a new kitchen only to find out that a replacement refrigerator requires extensive cabinet work.

• wilson853
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response maire cate. I did not even think of that. My KD suggested using the old SZ until it dies, then replacing it at that time. I will check the sizes of the new units and compare the required space. In researching different brands, it seems that all have their detractors, including SZ. I guess my feeling was why rock the boat, and possibly buy a new problem, when the old unit is still working.

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

If you're fine with the 48" SxS I'd keep it for now. If you want a different arrangement, though, I'd change it with the remodel. IMO, a new SZ is a good hunk of $$ you could apply to other places in the kitchen, and then upgrade to the new model when it dies. If you're sticking with the same size, I don't see where you'd be gaining much in functionality by getting the newer one.

Definitely make the cabs around the new taller model and then use easily removable trim to frame it in though. And if you want paneled/integrated, I would buy the panels now and if they are stained, leave them out in an area where they get a little light on them, so that they don't look a different color when you install them.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Cotton's post reminded me - We put on a large addition and doubled the size of our kitchen in 1987. Our cabinetmaker suggested that we keep some of the leftover trim pieces that had already been stained to match the cabinets. That came in handy when we replaced the double ovens and needed to change the trim around the opening. When we installed the new Sub Zero and removed the small cabinet over the unit we still had trim pieces that could be easily cut to cover the small opening.

We had to have a new wood panel made for the new unit. Luckily our cabinet company is still in business and they are custom milling and staining a door panel to match. I'm not sure I would buy the panels now and save them - what if the specifications change and they no longer fit?