Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvmyguys

Question for Miele induction owners

luvmyguys
15 years ago

I'm very interested in the 36" Miele induction unit. I was planning to use a 36" drawer base for the cooktop, but my KD pointed out that the Miele requires a 36 1/8" cutout. Ahhh...the cab company doesn't have a 39" drawer base and it wouldn't fit as well in the space anyway. The KD suggested we might be able to cut down the sides of the cabinet to make it work. If you have this unit, how did you install it?

Also, since I've never seen the unit in person, how much does it show fingerprints?

Comments (4)

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

I don't have a Meile, but I think the induction unit is so slim that most of it resides in the countertop cutout, not the cabinet. If you have the stove handy, check out how deep it is and how much of it will actually fall below counter level. It may not be a problem.

• canuck99
    15 years ago

I have had this unit for the last 2 months. The top is 36 1/4 but the part that is below the counter top is like 35 1/4 I think. Check the specs on the web site and it will show you the width and how deep it is. I have a utensil drawer under mine. I think it shows about 5 3/4 from the top of the cooktop to the drawer bottom. I have 5 1/2 so I would design for 6 inch and should be good. Be aware of the electrical connection and how far it sticks out, so that the drawer does not hit the electrical connection.

The finger print issue does not even come up. You hardly have to touch the cooktop and it seems if you are gentle you only have to get close not even touch the unit. You will create more opportunities for wiping the unit down by cooking vs finger prints.

• bearman1
    15 years ago

I just installed mine today! Your concerns are partly correct. I do not have the exact dimensions but We have a standard 36 inch cabinet and the installer had to cut a notch on the sides of the cabinet wall for clearance not a big deal at all. The actual cooking surface sits on the granite and does not use any adhesive at all. Then the fan part of the unit starts about 3/4 of an inch in on both sides and is a bout 3 or 4 inches deep.

We have a rollout draw at the bottom of the cabinet for pots and pans. Miele suggests leaving space between the bottom of the unit and a shelf or drawer to allow for proper airflow.

The electrical connection should not be an issue as the box should be screwed into a stud and the cable secured to the back wall of your cabinet.

Fingerprints so far do not seem to be an issue. Just wipe the top off and they are gone. We had considered Viking but the dials looked like a pain to keep clean.

The unit looks really nice and if it is as good as the other Miele appliance we recently got it will be terrific.

Good luck with the research I am off to cook dinner:).

• luvmyguys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks a bunch for your responses- very helpful!