Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

A fast budget dishwasher?

MizLizzie
10 years ago

Not content with finishing my kitchen, I'm now helping my sister. She, too, has a moderately sized space. But she has a large family and entertains often. She needs a fast dishwasher, because she turns over sometimes 3 loads a day, often doing pots and pans while dinner guests eat.

I know dishwashers have slowed down some. Hers is old but fast. Unfortunately, it is wearing out. Ordinarily I'd recommend Bosch as I have loved both mine, but I think the cycles might be too slow. Any suggestions? And I think her budget will be under $700. She doesn't put super grimy stuff in the DW, FWIW.

Comments (5)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I think your sister will find all modern dishwashers slow.

KitchenAid Classic Series KUDC10IX advertises a one hour cycle for normally soiled dishes.

The other dishwashers that advertise 20-45 minute quick washes are for lightly soiled dishes.

Then there is vintage Hobart made KitchenAid dishwashers on Ebay/Craigslist etc.

You have to like or at least tolerate vintage styling then go on a quest for parts when needed. Some people buy an extra dishwasher and put it in the garage for spare parts.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

If you turn off the dry cycle it will take less time with the dishwasher. They would have to sit in your DW overnight to dry, however. Also if she has only glassware, she can use the dish cycle...that is shorter. I would check with the store and discuss the length of the cycles....Pans take longer, dishes shorter, glassware shorter, etc. etc. If she can sort the loads by glass, pans, china...she can use the cycle accordingly. Has she thought of the two drawer dishwasher? You can use one drawer at a time or use both drawers for lots of dishes.

This post was edited by grandmaof3 on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 15:21

• User
    10 years ago

If she needs that much capacity, then she needs 2 DW's, not a single one with a fast cycle. I've even done kitchens with 3 DW's. 2 in the cleanup zone, and 1 in an adjacent beverage area. She could add a commercial DW in a utility area and get a super fast cycle, but commercial DW's don't dry at all, and she'd have to hand dry, and they're also more sanitizers than washers. Just adding a second residential DW for the pots and pans would help tremendously, and buying more serviceware for those times she entertains would probably be the best approach to fill her needs.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. She definitely needs 2 dishwashers. But she is just buying new appliances and keeping her footprint and cabinetry. They plan to sell the house in 3 - 5 years so she is only replacement shopping.

I don't think there is a dishwasher on the market that is going to replace what she has effectively.

• southboundtrain
    10 years ago

Well, my step daughter has a Bosch with a 30 minute cycle. That's all she ever uses. It was under $700 and she installed it herself!