Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can any DW be raised or just some?

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 13:12

With DH (who normally does the dishes) being out of town for a week, I am re-thinking the layout for the 100th time b/c my back really hurts after loading the DW every day.

I am pretty sure I want the DW raised!

I know there are some models designed for it, like Miele or Fagor. But isn't it just about having a pedestal-like base, similar to washers?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can any DW be raised or just some?

Any dishwasher can be elevated. Just make sure the base is sturdy enough to support fully loaded DW, and drain hose is properly looped to ensure proper drainage and prevent backflow.

o

Yep. Ours is raised a foot and it's a great convenience. It makes the countertop more complicated but otherwise there's no downside.

o

Thank you!

Colin3,

Could you post a picture?

o

I googled 'raised dishwashers' and selected images - see below for lots of photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: raised dishwashers

o

Maire_cate,

IDK why but most of them don't look right to me.

GWers do things differently (and better, IMHO) than most other folks but I have only seen 2 or 3 here, unfortunately. That is why I'd love to see more.

o

We'll see if the picture works. Veering into aesthetics, the google image search linked above taught me that you need to "frame" the raised dishwasher and try in other ways to make it look consistent with the rest of the cabinetry, otherwise it just kind of sticks out.

o

Oh, that's really neat!

Thank you, Colin!

o

I saw one at a designer's show house. It was paneled on the front and sides to match the surrounding cabinets and above it was a built in Miele coffee maker. The Miele wasn't as deep as the DW so it gave a tiered look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here