Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kulagal

Monogram Advantium 240V and one other oven needed

kulagal
16 years ago

We will be installing a Monogram gas cooktop. Currently, our design plans show having double wall ovens. We know we want the Advantium 240V oven (hopefully the new one if possible) but I'm wondering what the other Monogram oven should be. We will have a separate warming drawer. Would love to hear all your opinions - Thanks!

Comments (9)

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I'm planning to order the Monogram 30" convection oven with the full-extension shelves.

• kulagal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Raynag: Is your 30 inch convection oven in addition to the Advantium?

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Yes. I really need two ovens several times a year. I figured the Advantium would do double duty as a speedcook/convection and a microwave for everyday use. I didn't want to bend for an oven (getting too old for that!!) but am ending up putting the 30" Monogram under the cooktop because I don't have a 30" wall space in the layout I want. That's ok because I'll use the big oven mostly on holidays and it has 3 full extension shelves so that aleviates the bending down/reaching in problem. The Advantium will be elsewhere in the kitchen.

I'm not bothering with a warming drawer: the Advantium can function as a warmer, I understand.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

Monogram has several choices for a full size oven to pair with the 240 Advantium. One is the Trivection, which also can include microwaves for faster cooking, but is not itself a microwave. Monogram also offers oven choices in controls & inside configuration. An oven can function as a warming oven if it can be set low enough.

The Advantium can function as a stand-alone microwave, meaning it can heat food, but will not keep it warm the way a warming drawer will.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

If I recall correctly, Gizmonike,Monogram also offers warming and proofing in their oven. I've never worried about keeping food warm - just turn the oven down to 200 and it's fine. Now, if I could only get an over that would go shopping for me...

• kulagal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Raynag: How did you make your decision on your 30" convection with other choices to consider like Gizmonike reported? I basically want the Advantium for the reasons you said plus, I think, just a pretty basic oven for "regular" baking. I had read some reviews on the trivection that were not too positive.

Gizmonike: can you make a suggestion as to which one would be the best for an all-around basic oven to go with the Advantium? Thanks so much for your input!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Gizmonike - I've been obsessed with ovens for months! Part of my decision on the Monogram was budget but I think the Monogram gets high marks for most things, including a not-noisy fan. Good value and a separate customer service from the rest of GE. BUT the clincher was that I really fell in love with the Monogram's full extension shelves and that did it for me! I considered Dacor but there were too many problems with those ovens and the Electrolux is an unknown quantity, despite the full extension shelves.

I don't need trivection - and anyway, I've heard it may be discontinuted because it is not selling well. People are buying MW/convections or speedcook second ovens - and many people need or want two ovens, so the Trivection may be overkill for a single oven.

I've lived with a plain old horrible 20 year old Whirlpool gas range with an oven that runs cool, the self-clean doesn't work any more, and now the pilot light goes out unless it is at 400 degrees or more.

I have to have an undercounter oven (unfortunately) because I only have a 27" place to put ovens in the wall. So, the 120 advantium will go at counter height and I expect to use it most of the time - it's just the two of us. Meanwhile I expect to be obsessed with fridges next!

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

I'm hesitant about commenting on appliances which may have changed since we made our selections. However, what I would personally look for in an oven to go beneath the Advantium:

1. Width AND depth: does your largest pan fit?
    2. True convection, meaning the third heating element, not just a fan. However, true convection ovens are usually less deep than those without the third element.
    3. Full extension racks. Sturdy.
    4. Self-cleaning, either high heat or clean-finish.

Programs to control operation, like the Miele MasterChef has, are nice but optional. Also, accessories like probe roasting, rotisserie or baking stone are nice but optional.

You can raise the Advantium up a bit to get your wall oven below it a little higher. However, the Advantium has a pull down door like a regular oven and it gets hot, so you don't want it too high.

• saydiver
    16 years ago

Agree with gizmonike about not placing the Advantium oven too high, because the door gets very hot.

We have both the Advantium 240v and the Trivection oven and use both all the time, although we use the Advantium more. The speedcook feature on both ovens is great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of my GE ovens